This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted827260

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
You should not drop a class and retake it elsewhere out of fear of a B. A single B in a calc class is not going to determine where you go to med school.

Top 20 is my goal
smh classic SDN !

Reactions: 4 users
You should not drop a class and retake it elsewhere out of fear of a B. A single B in a calc class is not going to determine where you go to med school.
I have 4w's for that. Don't do it man. Take the B, Ws look a lot worse.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you have a good explanation they wont look worse
Yeah, true.
But my explanation would be "because I'm about to get a B." Then taking a B in that case would be a lot better.

Yeah, true.
But my explanation would be "because I'm about to get a B." Then taking a B in that case would be a lot better.
ha okay yeah then i understand, i made a post a few days ago about me dropping my nursing classes, which i am, and im gonna get 2 w's from that. But in my eyes, i think it's fine since I have a good reason.

Reactions: 1 user
Wait you're only a couple weeks into this class? How do you even know what grade to expect ??

sorry, not 4th week. My university has three deadlines for drops. the first one is drop/add no penalties, second one is 2/24 in which we'll have to pay back some financial aid, and third one is at the 12th week with dean's permission. We've already had our first test and few quizzes which I average mid B even while doing practice quizzes and tests 10 times and doing 100 problem homeworks before each quiz

I say top 20 because I've read here and my premed advisor told me that the plastic surgery specialty is the most competitive alongside dermatology and going to a top school helps.
There is some data on this. A survey of plastic surg program directors had 65% say that "Graduate of highly‐regarded U.S. medical school" was a factor in who they interviewed, and it drops to 35% saying it was a factor in how they ranked applicants.

But aside from that, there's the giant hurdle of scoring top ~3% on the MCAT and the high odds you change your mind about what you want to do, so I wouldn't live your daily life worrying about Top 20 admissions!

It sounds like a mid B is pretty likely then, but still, that is so totally not worth dropping and retaking at CC

Reactions: 1 user
1. Don't drop a class because you might get a B. Work harder and figure out a better way to make the material concrete. Paul's online math notes and Khan academy are your friends.

2. A top 20 might be your goal, but unless you're an Olympic athlete with a 4.0/528 who cured the Dean's herpes, your goal should just be to get into a medical school.

3. Everyone wants plastics or derm until they get their Step 1 scores back and suddenly realize their calling to primary care. Don't worry about specialty yet.

Watch for this to be added to DSM-VI!

The paranoia of premeds over anything other than a A is ridiculous. Taking a W over is simply B is ludicrous. Considering most applicants have 30, 40, or more courses, taking a couple of prereqs at a CC is unlikely to have any measurable impact on an application. Do not lose sight of the forest for the trees