Math Requirements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Neurosis

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
A couple of questions here about the Math requirements:
1) I've already taken a semester of math (Stats I) and I was just wondering, since my school offers it, if I should take Stats II as well? If I do take it, I'll be taking it during the summer along with Calc I (simultaneously)
2) Since summer session is split into two I was thinking of taking Calc II after Stats II/Calc I. I know there's some debate about whether Calc II is useful or not, so I just wanna know if it's wise to take it.

Members don't see this ad.

A couple of questions here about the Math requirements:
1) I've already taken a semester of math (Stats I) and I was just wondering, since my school offers it, if I should take Stats II as well? If I do take it, I'll be taking it during the summer along with Calc I (simultaneously)
2) Since summer session is split into two I was thinking of taking Calc II after Stats II/Calc I. I know there's some debate about whether Calc II is useful or not, so I just wanna know if it's wise to take it.
No need to take Calc II. Also, it could bring down your sGPA if you have a poor professor or calc isn't your thing. If you love math, and find Calc I easy and interesting, you could take it, but it certainly isn't necessary, probably is useless, and could hurt you.

Never took Stats II, so don't really have any advice there. You don't need it, but if you want to take it, go ahead, I doubt it is as dangerous to your sGPA as Calc II is.

No need to take Calc II. Also, it could bring down your sGPA if you have a poor professor or calc isn't your thing. If you love math, and find Calc I easy and interesting, you could take it, but it certainly isn't necessary, probably is useless, and could hurt you.

Never took Stats II, so don't really have any advice there. You don't need it, but if you want to take it, go ahead, I doubt it is as dangerous to your sGPA as Calc II is.

As much as I love to believe my calc 2 class was useful beyond boosting my sgpa, I have to second this post. Stats could have myriad applications in a medical career, but very few actually use calc.

That being said, if you're applying to Harvard HST, they expect you to have done differential equations, so a calc II requirement isn't unheard of.

Members don't see this ad :)

I've never taken Calculus, so I have no idea whether I'll like it or not it. I think Stats II is supposed to be much more math/formula oriented.

I was in a similar situation a few weeks ago. I decided to drop Calculus II, and take Stats I instead. My workload has now been cut in half. I got advised not to take Calculus II since only ~4 medical schools require it. I like the concept of calculus, but it's not for me. I don't know why you want to take Stats II though...? 1 semester of Calculus / 1 semester of Stats should suffice.