Math/science GPA Kinda long

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JennyMed

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi my name is Jenn and I am new to the fourm. I know that math and science GPA had been discussed plenty of times before, but I really need some advice. I am a sophmore and a Biology major. As of now my math and science GPA is at a 2.76. I have taken Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, College Algebra, Trig and now I am in Calculus I. I had to take 2 classes over because I made a D in both (Chemistry I and Trig) but I made a B in my Chemistry retake and Made an A in the Trig retake. Here are the rest of my grades
Chem I-C
Chem I lab-C
ChemII-B
ChemII Lab-B
Organic I-C
Organic I Lab-B
Organic II-C
Organic II Lab-A
College Algebra-B
PreCalc-B
Trig-A
Now I am in Calc and I have a C average in the Class and I need to make a B by the end of this semester. I haven't taken any Biology and Physics yet and I will go on to Calc II. Do you think it's a little to late for me? Can someone give me any advice on what to do?
Thanx.

Members don't see this ad.

I won't pretend to be an expert, but I've asked a lot of the same questions so here is some of what I've learned: <br><br>
Medical school admission is extremely competitive. MANY people with much better grades than you will be trying to get in. However, many with similar grades have been accepted, too.<br>
Grades are not everything. Doing extremely well on the MCAT would help you tremendously. There is still time to prepare for that.<br>
Many people have done worse than you and went on the a post-bacc masters program (2 years) then been accepted to medical school.<br>
There is less competition in D.O. schools as opposed to M.D. schools. You may find more opportunities for acceptance there with lower grades.<br>
You may find yourself doing extremely well in biology and physics, which would help. You probably want to ask yourself why you are not getting better grades and buckle down and fix the problem.<br>
Most importantly, I think, is how much you want to go to medical school. Poor grades might mean extra time and effort to make yourself more appealing to medical school. But it is definitely not too late, especially to pick up your grades and do better in future semesters.<br><br>
Best of luck.

You still have two years, and if need be stay an extra year. Those are the baby classes in the grand scope of things. If you know those grades are not a reflection of who you are and your abilities.. you will have AMPLE opportunities to prove it to medical schools.

Try to look at what you might be doing wrong. Are you too involved in extracurriculars? Research? Volunteering? Computer games, the opposite sex? Were you the type who just exploded onto the party scene in college instead of into the classrooms?

Junior year is when the going get going.. if you feel up to it, start taking competitive i'm-suicidal course-loads and classes and kick nerd ass. Even if you don't make it right after college, it'll:

a) Make post-bacc or a masters easier (from what I hear anyways, masters is all about your pipette and seminars)
b) Look good that you can hold your own in advanced courses.

I do not see why you don't just aim at the simple solution and try harder! Of course you might be able to be a D.O. with some great luck (only .8 below the average g.p.a.). Also, you could add extra years in getting a masters, but this is wasting two years of your life. Quit posting messages and worrying so much. Spend this and more time studying and when you get accepted senior year, be glad you aren't spending valuable time studying for a degree you don't want.