Mar 12, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
I've been told that there is no math on the MCAT. I was just wondering what type of mathematics you need to know to be a doctor?

Thanks!

MilkmanAl

Al the Ass Mod
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2008
Kansas City, MO
www.facebook.com
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Basic algebra is about all you need, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to have a decent understanding of integrals and derivatives.

RogueUnicorn

rawr.
7+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I NEED THE PROTEINS. and the adrenaline rush.

silverhorse84

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 31, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
We take a biostatistics class in the first year of med school. Nothing more difficult than that, but a background in math can help you out a bit.
If you go into prev med or epidemiology you'll need to know statistics, etc. For others not so much - mostly the math you need comes from calculating the dosage of medication a patient needs.

Drrrrrr. Celty

Osteo Dullahan
7+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2009
Status
Medical Student
I've been told that there is no math on the MCAT. I was just wondering what type of mathematics you need to know to be a doctor?

Thanks!
I think that you need basically a decent grasp on algebra and trig, thats all the math in physics and chem on the mcat. However for medical school its good to have a capacity for statistics and have taken a class in it.

orthomyxo

SDN Bronze Donor
Bronze Donor
7+ Year Member
Aug 18, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
I think that you need basically a decent grasp on algebra and trig, thats all the math in physics and chem on the mcat. However for medical school its good to have a capacity for statistics and have taken a class in it.
Expecting to see many right triangles as an MD???

b-real

What, me worry?
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2001
at a place called vertigo
Status
Attending Physician
I don't think even algebra...basics (add, subtract, multiply, divide). Even with the formulas, they're all in epocrates (though you still need to know formulas for USMLE).

Geekchick921

Achievement Unlocked: MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I agree with this. :thumbup:

Also, some schools require math. It might be a general requirement like 1 or 2 semestesr of college-level math, or a semester of stat or calculus. A few schools require 2 semesters of calc.

This is a few years old, so some of these may have changed, but it's helpful.
http://www.cse.emory.edu/sciencenet/additional_math_reqs.pdf