Math thats involved in Medicine.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureBlondeMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been told that there is no math on the MCAT. I was just wondering what type of mathematics you need to know to be a doctor?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
We take a biostatistics class in the first year of med school. Nothing more difficult than that, but a background in math can help you out a bit.
If you go into prev med or epidemiology you'll need to know statistics, etc. For others not so much - mostly the math you need comes from calculating the dosage of medication a patient needs.

I've been told that there is no math on the MCAT. I was just wondering what type of mathematics you need to know to be a doctor?

Thanks!

I think that you need basically a decent grasp on algebra and trig, thats all the math in physics and chem on the mcat. However for medical school its good to have a capacity for statistics and have taken a class in it.

I think that you need basically a decent grasp on algebra and trig, thats all the math in physics and chem on the mcat. However for medical school its good to have a capacity for statistics and have taken a class in it.
Expecting to see many right triangles as an MD???

I don't think even algebra...basics (add, subtract, multiply, divide). Even with the formulas, they're all in epocrates (though you still need to know formulas for USMLE).

a peds attending was explaining to me how to cross multiply as if it was a challenge.... that should tell you something about the amount of math you need to know

I agree with this. :thumbup:

Also, some schools require math. It might be a general requirement like 1 or 2 semestesr of college-level math, or a semester of stat or calculus. A few schools require 2 semesters of calc.

This is a few years old, so some of these may have changed, but it's helpful.
http://www.cse.emory.edu/sciencenet/additional_math_reqs.pdf