studentinterest

10+ Year Member
Jul 17, 2006
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
I have a C in college algebra. I am not strong in this subject.

Will this be an issue down the road as a pre-med/med student?

HemaOncoDoc

One Step At A Time
10+ Year Member
May 8, 2006
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
studentinterest said:

If that's your only C, no. Some medical schools like to see that you have taken at least a semester/quarter/trimester of calc. If you're truly worried about it. Take it over again or take a calc course. Some find calc easier than algebra.

Robizzle

1K Member
10+ Year Member
May 28, 2006
Boston & NYC
Status
Medical Student
HemaOncoDoc said:
If that's your only C, no. Some medical schools like to see that you have taken at least a semester/quarter/trimester of calc. If you're truly worried about it. Take it over again or take a calc course. Some find calc easier than algebra.
u mean calc ain't a premed requirement? I had to take it as an ENG requirement so i have no idea lol.

i'd say calc and alg. are very different BUT calculus requires a lot of algebra concepts that should become second nature after a lot of practice.

About the Ads

HemaOncoDoc

One Step At A Time
10+ Year Member
May 8, 2006
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Robizzle said:
u mean calc ain't a premed requirement? I had to take it as an ENG requirement so i have no idea lol.

i'd say calc and alg. are very different BUT calculus requires a lot of algebra concepts that should become second nature after a lot of practice.
Nope, some medical schools don't require math at all, but deem it a "highly recommended" course. And yes, engineering calc is loads of fun :)

I have friends who couldn't pass an algebra test, but were able to differentiate as if their future medical school careers were on the line...;)

I've had no problems with math in general. I'm speaking from what I've seen. And Rob, go find some work to do. Do another application or something ;)

aunaturel

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 31, 2004
Status
studentinterest said:

college algebra is a difficult class if you are not a "math person." i'll tell you why: there is a lot of info that is completely unrelated and you just sort of jump around from one concept to another. it is preparation for the types of things you might need for calculus, but a lot of it you probably won't use (in calculus). in my opinion, calc 1 is easier than this class. i took college algebra my senior year in hs so it may be different than in college, but i wouldn't feel too bad about your situation cause the class is very scattered.

now, will it be a problem down the road for premed? well if you can handle the math involved in chem and phys, then no. but many who fail to excel in college algebra also fail to excel in these subjects. note that i'm not saying you will fail, but you may not get A+ grades or you may have to work you ass off to get A's. also, for chem and physics (i'm assuming you haven't taken these classes) when you take these courses you may want to lighten the rest of your courseload. i don't know if i've made you feel better or worse, but i hope you do well. good luck my friend.

relentless11

Going broke and loving it
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 30, 2001
Visit site
Status
Pre-Medical
studentinterest said:

A C in any math class probably isn't detrimental to your pre-med journey in terms of grades, but I would say it is a sign that you better get your act together. Yes, a few med schools don't require math, most do, while some may actually require calculus. Others may go as far as require statistics as a pre-req or as an actual class taken as a medical student.

No offense, but algebra, college-level or not, is the bare basics, and you should get at least a B in it. Algebra is to calculus, just as grammar is to english. As stated, calculus isn't required, but a good foundation in simple math is a must in ANY science.

As a pre-med you will face physics, and chemistry, both of which require some amount of algebra. More so in physics. As a medical student, you will face math in at least pharmacokinetics, and obviously medical statistics if they make you take that course. As a physician (or medical student, undergraduate), if you want to do any real, solid research, then statistics will certainly be involved as well. Math comes back, and algebra is essentially the foundation, thus a C in such a class isn't neccessarily a good sign.

Don't get me wrong, I totally dislike math, and strugged through it for ages. But thats reality, and as the saying goes, biology is chemistry, chemistry is physics and physics is math.

Vvandenn

10+ Year Member
Jul 16, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm actually taking College Algebra now during the summer before I enter college as a freshman this August. For me, the material isn't "hard" persay but the speed of the class during the summer is a tad fast, especially when working 52+ hours a week and being only average in math. However, I am working as hard as it takes to maintain my A average in there. Just because I'm not great at a subject doesn't automatically mean I am going to make below an A. I am doing whatever it takes. I am stepping up my studying a notch to make up for my inherent trouble in the subject and so far it's working.

hellodoc

10+ Year Member
May 11, 2006
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Is calculus more difficult the algebra in people's opinions?

xanthomondo

nom nom nom
Removed
10+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2006
the island of Doctor Moreau
Status
Resident [Any Field]
HemaOncoDoc said:
I have friends who couldn't pass an algebra test, but were able to differentiate as if their future medical school careers were on the line...;)
thats not hard to believe, all you need to do is blindly remember some formulas and youve got it

integrations are the tricky one, they require you to know alll of your algebra and trig functions like the back of your hand

HemaOncoDoc

One Step At A Time
10+ Year Member
May 8, 2006
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
SeaAngel45 said:
I'm confused....

Why is basic math harder than calc?
Its not. Sorry for the confusion. For most people, calc is more difficult. I was just giving a special case.

vincikai

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 3, 2005
Status
I dont see how people take chemistry and physics without calculus :]

vincikai

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 3, 2005
Status
hellodoc said:
Is calculus more difficult the algebra in people's opinions?
cal I is very different from algebra.
cal II is = algebra+ cal I
cal III is alittle cal II and alots lots of proofs so far to me anyway :scared:

beaverfetus

poo-tee-weet?
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
www.mdapplicants.com
Status
Medical Student
I'm pretty terrible at math, I landed a fat C- in calc 1 first semester of freshman year.

I got A/A in Physics I and II and a 12 on the phys portion of the mcat. So yeah, you can get around sucky math skills.

P.S. when i read my mcat scores the first time I added them wrong in my head and thought I scored 2 points lower until my friend smacked me upside the head.

hermit

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 30, 2006
Status
Medical Student
studentinterest said:
I have a C in college algebra. I am not strong in this subject. Will this be an issue down the road as a pre-med/med student?
Not specifically, but it sounds like you are getting off to a bad start and things are going to get a lot tougher. There are thousands of threads on this site about people who screwed up their freshman/sophmore year and are fighting to make up for it. If you are serious about medicine, THIS SHOULD BE YOUR WAKE UP CALL. Identify/understand/correct this issue now or else you will be praying for miracles when the time comes to apply for medical school.

TMP-SMX

Moderator Emeritus
Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jun 12, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
Be happy you weren't like me and didn't drop calc II. I got a 1.0 (D) in the class.

I retook and got an A-... So you have to work at it. Problem is that the low original score really hurts my GPA.

About the Ads