Mathematics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Samiamm

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've been thinking about switching to an engineering major recently. However, being the dumb ass that I was in HighSchool, I avoided higher level math classes I could've taken. As a result, I'm taking precalculus as a freshman right now, and next semester ill be taking calc. Precalculus is going great (now that I've decided to stop going to class discluding exam days and began just looking at the book, since that's all the prof does) and I enjoy learning it.

However, sometimes it takes me time to fully wrap my head around certain concepts. But I find it fun and enjoyable when I figure it out.

So my question is, knowing that precalculus is the easiest college level mathematics class, if I enjoy the sort of learning and way of thinking analogous to the material in this class, do you guys think ill be able to handle higher level mathematics, or should I wait until 1 semester of calculus to figure that out?

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly even calculus isn't the best indicator as a lot of people can thrive in single-variable calculus. Once you get to multivariable calculus you'll start to get a good feel for if you're comfortable with higher level math or not. Try to keep your options open for you if you end up not liking mathematics at the higher levels.

FWIW, I found precalculus to be harder than calculus.

Precalculus was just a whole mess of concepts that didn't help me much.

Calculus, on the other hand, is much more focused on a few concepts and is really applicable to the real world.

If you're enjoying math so far, keep an open mind to other types of math. They become really different from precalc. Best of luck and remember to do tons of practice problems!

Members don't see this ad :)
FWIW, I found precalculus to be harder than calculus.

Calculus, on the other hand, is much more focused on a few concepts and is really applicable to the real world.
!

This is why I asked this question in the 1st place. Precalculus seems to be a bit more abstract then calc, and I figured if, so far, I've been able to learn the material myself, maybe I'd be somewhat comfortable with higher level math.

And I can't really say myself because obviously I've gotten help online, via tutors, etc. my precalculus teacher jus blows unfortunately

I felt like this too. I thought precalc was tougher because it was a mish-mash of topics that don't fit anywhere else. The one benefit, I found, was that it made my algebra skills that much better, which is useful in physics, calc, etc.

So I've been thinking about switching to an engineering major recently. However, being the dumb ass that I was in HighSchool, I avoided higher level math classes I could've taken. As a result, I'm taking precalculus as a freshman right now, and next semester ill be taking calc. Precalculus is going great (now that I've decided to stop going to class discluding exam days and began just looking at the book, since that's all the prof does) and I enjoy learning it.

However, sometimes it takes me time to fully wrap my head around certain concepts. But I find it fun and enjoyable when I figure it out.

So my question is, knowing that precalculus is the easiest college level mathematics class, if I enjoy the sort of learning and way of thinking analogous to the material in this class, do you guys think ill be able to handle higher level mathematics, or should I wait until 1 semester of calculus to figure that out?

Don't worry. If you're hard working and determined to succeed, higher level math courses can be easily dominated.

Beware the engineering is very rigorous with very little room for wiggle room or elective space. You will be working VERY hard after switching to engineering to A. finish the program and B. maintain gpa competitive enough to apply to medical school. I don't to discourage you, but you need to know how difficult the road ahead of you might be,