matriculation rates -PENN vs Tufts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TXtaco25

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know the average matriculation rates into medical school (any, not just linkage) for these two programs? I know they are two different types of programs, but the Penn specialized studies program is cheaper than the Tufts program which is big for me. Which program has a better reputation?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Well Tufts is an SMP (but i think they have a post-bac as well) so thats diff than UPenn where its non-degree granting - not sure you were aware of that key diff which is a big deal for some folks.

Penn claims 85% SSP students get into med school - as a student here, i'm skeptical of their numbers and where they come from.

Penn runs about $11-12k a semester after all fees and stuff, so not sure how massively diff the price is. I can't remember the cost of Tufts from when I applied.

I picked Penn over Tufts, BU, and UMDNJ

thanks for the info Rob. so what makes you so skeptical about those numbers?

Are you satisfied with UPENN?

Do the advisors do everything they can for you so that you will get into med school?

For some reason I just like the idea of having the opportunity to take the same classes as MS1's so that I have direct evidence that I can handle the med school curriculum.

thanks!

Well they don't really do a lot to track us during our time here and not to be too degrading but there are some kids here who aren't the sharpest tools in the shed...
All in all - i just find it very hard to believe. They also don;t say whether its including foreign or osteopathic or if it was only people that got their committee letter. Just a total lack of info means I've no idea how they reach that number.

I am satisfied with Penn - there are a lot of opportunities here to do research and get involved. Not that you can't in boston but just i feel this has a lot of great avenues for gap years etc.

Advisors at Penn? hahahahhaha - Ok sorry. But they are a joke and have no idea whats going on. Thats the biggest thing that sucks here. But they don't get you into medical school - you get you into medical school. I personally think advising is over-rated as you can have the greatest advisors in the world but if you don't get the grades and the MCAT it doesn't matter.

I picked Penn over the other places for cost (a helluva lot cheaper both for classes and cost-of-living) and i heard somethings i was less wild on about tufts. I won't comment on them as i'm not in that program but try going to their thread or maybe someone will pop in here.