1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Matriculation without......

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by grkbuckeye, May 22, 2002.

1. grkbuckeye

grkbuckeye Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Just wondering what schools will think if you dont complete your graduate work before you start medschool? ive heard that they really dont care that much about grad work (its the undergrad they are concerened about). im in a little dilemma. my department wants me to study for, and take my Masters comps in the summer. i told them that i am moving this summer to Chicago to start school and i also need to work. my question is this...would a medschool think about taking your acceptance away becuase you didnt get the Masters degree (even though ive finished all the coursework)? they never said that my acceptance was conditional on me finishing my grad work. this was something i was just doing until i went to medschool. please let me know??

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. community

community Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

You have worked so hard on your Masters and come so close to completing it. Isn't it more worthwhile to just finish it off this summer rather than working to make a small amount of money that wouldn't bring the amt you have to borrow (for med school) down by much anyhow? Finish your degree. Otherwise, you just wasted a whole lot of effort. It's all about the big picture, right?

4. Dr JPH

Dr JPH Membership Revoked
    Removed 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    You got into medical school.

You said yourself the whole reason for doing the masters was to get into medical school, right?

If finishing this degree is going to make it harder for you to find adequate housing or will in any other way compromise your ability to live in chicago and attend medical school there, then dump it.

The last poster said "it's all about the big picture."

It sure is. Medical school is bigger than a masters.

Good luck.

5. Qafas

Qafas Jarhead
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I would do no such thing as drop out of the Master's program before actually speaking with someone in your med school, and getting permission in writing from them to drop. You never know what sorts of issues might be raised in the future. I'm in a similar situation; however, I have decided to finish out the program, which ends in a couple of weeks! Can't wait :)

6. grkbuckeye

grkbuckeye Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

thanks for all the input. i do want to say however that i would not be dropping out in the sense that i would just leave now in the middle of the quarter. i would simply just not come in the summer to take the Masters Exams that they require for me to go through graduation. i guess my question plain and simple is...Has anyone ever heard of someone getting their acceptance pulled becuase of not completing a Masters degree? The one girl in my program bailed out last winter when she found out she got it.

7. Bucky,

As far as I know, you are only obligated to meet the minimum neccessary requirements for the school. In this case your premed reqs and an undergraduate degree. You have both. I have not heard of a D.O. school withdrawing an acceptance over not completing a master's. They don't really care. Afterall, some people take graduate courses without planning on finishing a degree. My suggestion is to ask the dean of admissions, "Am I obligated to finish my masters?" The schools I have asked have said no, they don't care.

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by grkbuckeye:
    <strong>thanks for all the input. i do want to say however that i would not be dropping out in the sense that i would just leave now in the middle of the quarter. i would simply just not come in the summer to take the Masters Exams that they require for me to go through graduation. i guess my question plain and simple is...Has anyone ever heard of someone getting their acceptance pulled becuase of not completing a Masters degree? The one girl in my program bailed out last winter when she found out she got it.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">