"Matter-of-fact" responses to secondary prompts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bonne Nuit

...zZzzZZz...😴
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a slightly (very) neurotic question about some of my secondary responses. Some secondaries ask what I interpret as very direct questions. For example, Emory and Dartmouth both have a version of "What are your academic or other plans for the upcoming year?" and Hofstra asks what you've been up to since graduation. My instinct is to just answer this type of question very matter-of-factly without trying to make it into this beautiful, compelling, insightful response (I save that for the more philosophical prompts). I feel that if I asked someone to describe their plans for the upcoming year and they gave me a gorgeously-crafted literary essay, I'd roll my eyes a bit; I would think it over-the-top. But I'm not an adcom member and maybe I'm way off base.

Before I finalize my secondaries, I wanted to know what you all thought about this approach. How are you handling the more direct questions on your secondaries?

Sorry if this has been addressed recently, but I couldn't find any threads on this specific type of secondary response.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Also curious

Reactions: 1 user
There's a balance. Simply stating you would be working as a scribe and continuing your volunteering leaves an opportunity on the table.

If you plan to work as a scribe, it wouldn't be 'too flowery' to state that you sought out a scribe position because you were wanting to get more exposure to real-world patient care.

Saying you were looking forward to being able to volunteer more time at the hospice is similarly 'positive yet not BS'. Waxing poetic about the beauty of end-of-life care for this answer could be eyeroll-inducing.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I was very matter of fact in my responses to those. I am doing this work investigating this, taking these classes, and continuing this volunteering. Imo I have a whole other section where I talk about the meaning behind my activities, called the Work and Activities section.

Reactions: 1 users
I tend to be looking for "just the facts, ma'am" moreso than @DoktorMom but maybe that's because I'm making a quick read through the application in preparation for the interview and I will want to confirm that you are still doing whatever you'd planned or what changed. (e.g. "still scribing?" "No, I was pressed into service as a caregiver to my grandmother who has Alzheimer's disease while my mother is recovering from some serious injuries sustained in a bicycle accident."

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you to everyone who shared their advice and perspectives!

I think I'm going to incorporate a combination of DoktorMom and LizzyM's advice. I won't get too flowery (so that any adcom who just wants quick information can easily find what s/he's looking for), but I also don't want to be terribly dry/boring. I think there's a way I can communicate my personality/what I value even in answers to these direct questions. Thanks again.

Reactions: 1 user