Max no. of clinics a MD can own?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neuroace

MBBS VI
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. What is the highest number of clinics you know a Dr to own- and what is their annual income?
2. Could a MD ever own, say, 50 clinics?

Members don't see this ad.

There is no maximum number clinics that a physician can own. Restrictions would be related to the delivery of medical services at the clinics, rather than ownership of the clinics themselves. For example, if the clinics were staffed with NPs, the state may have a maximum number of NPs that the physician could collaborate with. Even then, though, the owner could hire a different medical director for each clinic.

So, yes, an MD could own 50 clinics. I can't speak to the annual income. It would depend on many factors, such as what services are being offered and the volume of patients.

There is no maximum number clinics that a physician can own. Restrictions would be related to the delivery of medical services at the clinics, rather than ownership of the clinics themselves. For example, if the clinics were staffed with NPs, the state may have a maximum number of NPs that the physician could collaborate with. Even then, though, the owner could hire a different medical director for each clinic.

So, yes, an MD could own 50 clinics. I can't speak to the annual income. It would depend on many factors, such as what services are being offered and the volume of patients.

What's the highest example of clinics you know of a physician to own?

Members don't see this ad :)
Advocate Aurora Health has over 350 locations and the CEO, Nick Turkal, is an MD.

American Family Care is owned by Bruce Irwin, MD and has over 200 facilities (though not sure how many are franchises vs corporate owned).

Bernard Swift, DO, owner and founder of Texas Med Clinic, has 18 locations.

..just a few examples.

Reactions: 1 user
Just FYI though, you don't need to be a physician to run a business (essentially what these positions are). You're acting less as a doctor in these roles and more as an executive running a chain of stores/businesses/clinics. There are plenty of CEOs of healthcare systems or clinic groups who aren't physicians.

Obviously if you founded a chain of clinics that's a different story but if you're looking to break into the C-level executive positions in existing systems starting out working as a physician, it's a little less straightforward.

Advocate Aurora Health has over 350 locations and the CEO, Nick Turkal, is an MD.

American Family Care is owned by Bruce Irwin, MD and has over 200 facilities (though not sure how many are franchises vs corporate owned).

Bernard Swift, DO, owner and founder of Texas Med Clinic, has 18 locations.

..just a few examples.
Thankyou v much for that. My ambitions are to found a chain of clinics [75+]. Contacted B Irwin asking for any tips on how to scale from 1 clinic to 180. Wish there was a more elaborate list on MD's who have founded med clinic chains [and their advice on how to do so].

Last edited:
Thankyou v much for that. My ambitions are to found a chain of clinics [75+]. Contacted B Irwin asking for any tips on how to scale from 1 clinic to 180. Wish there was a more elaborate list on MD's who have founded med clinic chains [and their advice on how to do so].

I think you'd need to pick a medical specialty first and then see if you can successfully operate your own single clinic. If you can do that, then work on branching out.