Max score for the Psychology Subject GRE Test?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psi123

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

Just wanted to know what the maximum score for the subject test is. I just assumed it was 800 (I guess like the SAT II's?), but I saw some people who shared their scores say they got 820 on the test!?? And around what %tile would an 820 be?? What's the highest anybody could get?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm pretty sure the highest score is a 990. A 700 is about the 90th percentile.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the theoretical limit caps at 990. My recollection form reading an article a while back was that the highest score ever recorded was 860.

It actually has the dumbest scoring system. Yes, it is TECHNICALLY out of 990 (you wouldn't believe how many don't know that, even at ETS).

However, in the real world, think of it as being out of 800. VERY few people will break 800 (i.e. maybe a couple a year). ETS says once its over 800 you can no longer differentiate between scores, so its kind of meaningless. Percentile ranks are definitely NOT reflective of a 990 max score (700's is usually in the 90s for percentile).

A score of 820 puts you at the 99th percentile, but as others said, beyond 800 it's all the same. I also confirm what others said: it's theoretically out of 990, but practically out of 800-850.

Percentile ranks are definitely NOT reflective of a 990 max score (700's is usually in the 90s for percentile).

Well, but it's a percentile rank, so it's not going to reflect the max possible score; it'll reflect the max observed score and the scoring distribution.

Reem16 said:
A score of 820 puts you at the 99th percentile,

The value that the percentiles sit at will vary each year, since you're scored in comparison to how everyone else does and not against a total score. On the version I took, 99th percentile reached into the high 700's.

on a semi-related note, anyone else taking it this saturday?

Well, but it's a percentile rank, so it's not going to reflect the max possible score; it'll reflect the max observed score and the scoring distribution.

True, but my point was just that one unlike most percentile ranking systems (i.e. SAT, GRE), one need not be near the max raw score to be in the 99th percentile. You can't score, say 190 points below the max on your verbal GRE and still be in the 99th %. I mean, I guess THEORETICALLY you could if you got a really hard exam, but it doesn't happen on most other standardized tests excepting the subject test;)

Got it! :) Thank you so much everyone! I now know what scores to aim for and how hard I need to study!!

I forgot about how there's a test this saturday!! I'll be taking mine Nov. 3rd, but to those taking it on saturday, GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap: