SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Maxillofacial surgery vs. other surgeries--withdraw med school apps this year?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by lady in red, Nov 11, 2001.

1. lady in red

lady in red Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Sep 12, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    well, so much for smoking crack on SDN. i have a serious life-deciding question. I have a new fascination with oral/maxillofacial surgery, but you need to go to dental school for that. So you guys know stuff about the lifestyle, hours, job satisfaction for OMFSs vs. "conventional", I mean regular medical surgeons, like ENTs, neuro, plastic, cardio, so on. I don't care about income, they all make about the same and obviously are not starving. It's like my new obsession, i am trying to find out everything i can about it. I posted that similar question on dental but their board is moving VERY slowly. I am even considering withdrawing from med schools this year and applying to dental the next year. don't know if its a sound decision though...

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. paisley1

paisley1 Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Oct 1, 2001
    CA
    Lady in Red, I don't know if you get the Health Network Channel where you live but there's this great show called Doctor's Diaries that comes on every so often where they follow physicians around as they treat their patients. To get to the point, just yesterday they were talking with this guy who does precisely the type of stuff you are interested in. He was a trained dentist, as I recall, but he said that he was also planning on enrolling in medical school this year. I can't remember why exactely--it came down to not being able to do something without the MD. Sorry for being so vague--check out <a href="http://www.webmd.com" target="_blank">www.webmd.com</a> (the network's internet address). They might have more info posted there. They keep showing the same episodes of this show over and over again so I'll be sure to pay closer attention next time and let you know what he said exactely. ;)

P.S. The patient that this dentist-guy was helping had just been elbowed in the eye. Apparently, he walked up behind his son as he was starting the lawn-mower. It was pretty gruesome. :eek:

4. none

none 1K Member 10+ Year Member

Jul 27, 2001
    How exactly does one develop such a huge interest in Maxillofacial surgery so quickly? I'm really interested.

5. praying mantis

praying mantis Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Mar 9, 2000
    My dad is an oral and maxiollfacial surgeon and really loves his job. He works about 4 days a week (takes many afternoons off for golf) and makes a great living. I've worked with him during summer breaks from college and I think it is a great profession to go into. There is a lot of patient/doctor interaction as well as time spent in surgery.

Good luck with your choice!