Maximizing the Chances for IMGs to be Match Into Competitive Residency Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Damon Mikaelis

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone:

I think it is time to start a new thread where we can give information to students who want to study abroad and show them what lies ahead. Since it is a huge investment physically, mentally, and financially. I tried finding information myself, but to be short the threads are either old or do not apply. Maybe I'm wrong, since I am new to the forum and I do not think I have broke in yet. Either way, I do not think it will hurt. So here's my story.

I am in a dilemma between going abroad or staying here in Canada. The reason why I am even thinking of it is due to the hard path that I will have to follow, if I do. There are and will be more massive obstacles that will stay in my way if I get into medical school here, for many personal reasons. Which is why I want to go abroad, and finish my degree without any complication. However searching through the web, there are a lot of horror stories; maybe not stories, I guess you will have to help me with that.

So if I go to Ireland to study medicine via Atlantic bridge, or any other school for that matter, what are my chances to obtain residency in radiology or any other competitive specialty? What do I have to do specifically to do just that? (getting the information for myself as well, once I do I will post as well) and what can an IMG do to make his/her life easier? I guess the goal of this thread is to discover what we can do to maximize chance for an IMG to be matched into a residency program that is competitive, such as radiology. I look forward to it. :)

*I apologize if there is any grammar mistakes, it is because I am writing this at 3AM. Please forgive me if I do.

Members don't see this ad.