May 12th MCAT: How should I spend last month?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aspiringdoc09

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need some advice. I still have Princeton's Science and Verbal Workbooks (+ 5 EK Verbal 101 Tests) to go through. My test is May 12th, so should I focus more on full lengths and incorporate some discretes and passages from the science workbook, or should I try to finish the workbook and do all practice test? The science workbook contains discretes and passages for all topics and I still have the in class compendium with additional passages.

How do you think I should execute my time? I have so much material right now. I have done practice problems in EK 1001s as I did Princeton's content review. My friend gave me all the Kaplan stuff (FLs, topicals, mini-test), so I have tried doing their topicals test too. Maybe I am getting overwhelmed with all this extra practice material. I definitely will take all AAMCs. I wanted to take a few Kaplan paper-based tests because they are longer to help with timing before takign AAMCs. Now, I don't think I will have time.

If in my situation, how would you spend this last month? Thanks for your advice and all is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I would suggest something similar to the last month in my schedule where you focus primarily on FLs and practice passages followed by thorough post-practice review. So a FL every 2 days with practice passages (science and verbal) on non-FL days.

I deviated a little from SN2ed's schedule because my schedule isn't really open (I have work and school). I extended my content review up until 3 weeks before my test date and did AAMC3-11 during those last three weeks. I also didn't really do hat trick, but I did do something similar. I used the hat trick spreadsheet (found somewhere on these forums) and simply made sure I understood the concepts that came up. It's probably not as good as interrelating concepts as SN2ed suggests, but I found it useful.

Members don't see this ad :)
I spent my last month doing practice exams with review in between. Learned that some topics I still had no clue on, so I focused my energy there. Other topics that I thought I needed to study fell to the side because I didn't have any issues with them on actual exams.

Your last month should be focused on the areas where you are weakest. That way you'll see the greatest return for time invested.

I would suggest something similar to the last month in my schedule where you focus primarily on FLs and practice passages followed by thorough post-practice review. So a FL every 2 days with practice passages (science and verbal) on non-FL days.

I spent my last month doing practice exams with review in between. Learned that some topics I still had no clue on, so I focused my energy there. Other topics that I thought I needed to study fell to the side because I didn't have any issues with them on actual exams.

Your last month should be focused on the areas where you are weakest. That way you'll see the greatest return for time invested.

BUMP

SN2ed, you mentioned that I should focus on practice passages and FLs only not discrete questions? I see that I am definitely getting behind trying to do the discretes, passages, FLs and then review everything.

DocAbroad, I make sure I review FLs the next day because I usually take the test after work on week days.

Also, at this point, I am thinking about postponing my test. I want to apply early, but I can't apply if my MCAT is the only thing still holding me back.

Take a practice exam or two (I suggest AAMC 7 and 9) and see where you are. Go from there.

If your score is way off where you want to be, then you might want to push back.

If you read post-MCAT feedback from people, you'll see very similar comments. People often say there was a passage that caught them offguard or some weird passage they'd never seen before. You never hear anyone saying they were surprised by standalone questions.

From that observation, it seems like you need to emphasize passages over anything else during your stretch run. About 82% of the MCAT questions are attached to a passage, so you need to work with nothing but passage and FLs from this point onward. Mix up what you use so that you prepare for the unfamiliar. As pointed out in a couple posts, the most important part of any practice FL is spending quality time thoroughly going over it. Analyze the passage content, the question types, the errors you made, the questions you did well, and in the end know what you'd change to do better on that exam if you were to ever do it again.

It's all about getting better, which only comes from analyzing your approach. People severely overemphasize content review and underemphasize test skills such as POE. You don't have to know everything; you have to be able to answer multiple choice questions on everything.

Take a practice exam or two (I suggest AAMC 7 and 9) and see where you are. Go from there.

If your score is way off where you want to be, then you might want to push back.

I was trying to go in order but I see what you are getting at. Thanks.

If you read post-MCAT feedback from people, you'll see very similar comments. People often say there was a passage that caught them offguard or some weird passage they'd never seen before. You never hear anyone saying they were surprised by standalone questions.

From that observation, it seems like you need to emphasize passages over anything else during your stretch run. About 82% of the MCAT questions are attached to a passage, so you need to work with nothing but passage and FLs from this point onward. Mix up what you use so that you prepare for the unfamiliar. As pointed out in a couple posts, the most important part of any practice FL is spending quality time thoroughly going over it. Analyze the passage content, the question types, the errors you made, the questions you did well, and in the end know what you'd change to do better on that exam if you were to ever do it again.

It's all about getting better, which only comes from analyzing your approach. People severely overemphasize content review and underemphasize test skills such as POE. You don't have to know everything; you have to be able to answer multiple choice questions on everything.

You really put things in perspective. Thank you. I thought I needed to do discretes as well but thanks for clearing up that misunderstanding.

Yeah. I'd say start with 7, 8, or 9 and then evaluate.

Leave 10 and 11 for final prep. You're better off not taking 11 just to get your hands dirty. Not yet anyway.

Yeah. I'd say start with 7, 8, or 9 and then evaluate.

Leave 10 and 11 for final prep. You're better off not taking 11 just to get your hands dirty. Not yet anyway.

BUMP

I did what you said and took AAMC 8. I'm disappointed. I got a 22 (9/5/8). I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but I have to start over with new strategy. Of course, I felt stressed because my head was hurting the entire time. Verbal is definitely killing me, but I can't seem to get my PS/BS above 10. The next available date where I live is July 6th for now. I guess my application will be late. I plan to submit June 5th, but they will have to wait on the MCAT. I've taken it 2x before without preparing properly, so I don't want to risk it.

I know a lot of you say use SN2ed schedule. Do I need to purchase BR or can I just substitute with the TPRH material I have already? Has anyone been successful with substituting TPRH material? Or do you think I should just purchase TBR stuff in stead? I NEED HELP! APPARENTLY I CAN'T DO IT BY MYSELF. MAYBE I CAN FIND A CLASS. I may need to take a break from it because it is starting to drive me NUTS! LOL. It's funny how you can want something so bad and keep missing the target? That's the way I feel. Now that I care about it, it seems farther and farther away. Suggestions?

BUMP

I did what you said and took AAMC 8. I'm disappointed. I got a 22 (9/5/8). I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but I have to start over with new strategy. Of course, I felt stressed because my head was hurting the entire time. Verbal is definitely killing me, but I can't seem to get my PS/BS above 10. The next available date where I live is July 6th for now. I guess my application will be late. I plan to submit June 5th, but they will have to wait on the MCAT. I've taken it 2x before without preparing properly, so I don't want to risk it.

I know a lot of you say use SN2ed schedule. Do I need to purchase BR or can I just substitute with the TPRH material I have already? Has anyone been successful with substituting TPRH material? Or do you think I should just purchase TBR stuff in stead? I NEED HELP! APPARENTLY I CAN'T DO IT BY MYSELF. MAYBE I CAN FIND A CLASS. I may need to take a break from it because it is starting to drive me NUTS! LOL. It's funny how you can want something so bad and keep missing the target? That's the way I feel. Now that I care about it, it seems farther and farther away. Suggestions?

It depends if you're looking for a content review or practice questions. If it's content, you can use J Co Review's online animations. I saw someone else post about it and signed up. You can get through a lot of content really quickly, but realize that it doesn't have practice problems, so you'll want practice materials on the side.