MAY 15!!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DZT

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is May 15 the very last day where people figure out whether they have recieved an acceptance. Does this apply to waitlist people too? In other words, is May 15 the official day when med schools have to report your applicant status to you as either "rejected" or "accepted?"

Members don't see this ad.

Hi NB,

If you scroll through the pages, you'll actually see a number of threads related to this. . . .

You do NOT have to pull your application from any waitlists tomorrow. Instead, if you hold multiple acceptances, you have to withdraw from all but one of the schools to which you've been accepted.

Hope this helps! :)

No, med schools do not have to give you an answer by May 15th. As I understand it, they have to have finished their interviews so that they have a clear idea of how they are going to make up their classes. Because of this, there may be a delay after the 15th before you hear the final word from a school.

Members don't see this ad :)
•••quote:•••Originally posted by trouta:
•No, med schools do not have to give you an answer by May 15th. As I understand it, they have to have finished their interviews so that they have a clear idea of how they are going to make up their classes. Because of this, there may be a delay after the 15th before you hear the final word from a school.•••••I think a lot of people have misconstrued this May 15 deadline. I only WISH that we waitlisted applicants can hear from schools by this date, but realistically, schools have to go through their files once they know who's staying and who's not.

A few schools are still in the process of interviewing and will continue through June. I have an interview scheduled at Einstein in a few weeks. In fact, I believe NYMC and SLU are also still interviewing.

From what I understand of this process, the big May 15 date is the day for anyone with multiple acceptances to withdraw from all but one.

This frees up those spots for the people on the waitlist to move into the class. Since many of the waitlists are unranked, etc., it takes time for the schools to determine who they ultimately want to give that seat. The schools might still be interviewing to fill those seats. (This might be the time to again express interest in the schools where you're on a waiting list.)

If a student already decides upon 1 school between his myriads of acceptances (the lucky bastard) on May 15, but is still on the waiting list for a school he ranks higher, he can decline the acceptance he chose for May 15 and go with his higher choice. (Of course in this scenario, any male pronoun could be replaced by a female pronoun.)

I hope that clarifies some stuff.

Some schools will continue to interview, especially with the AMCAS f'up this year.

May 15 is when applicants can no longer hold more than one acceptance at a time. So if you got accepted off the waitlist at say UCSD and then the next day Harvard called and accepted you, well then you have to make a decision as to where you choose to attend.

Got it? Good! Now someone shoot all the people on the GWU list so I can get in!