MAY 15th -- Myths, Confusion, & Clarification

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lilycat

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, there seems to be a lot of confusion over the larger-than-life, quasi-magical "May 15th" date. Here is my information, based on research and personal experience last year as an applicant.

First off, here is the AAMC site that describes (in addition to other things) the role of May 15th in the admissions process: <a href="http://www.aamc.org/students/applying/policies/recommendations.htm" target="_blank">Recommendations Regarding Acceptance Procedures for First Year Medical Students</a> In past years, this has also been known as the "AAMC Traffic Rules."

Specifically, the paragraph that deals with the May 15th date says: "By May 15 of the year of matriculation, an applicant who has received offers of admission from more than one school should choose the one school that he or she prefers and withdraw from all other schools to which he or she has been accepted."

The next statement goes on to say: "Prior to May 15 of the year of matriculation, an applicant should be given at least two weeks to reply to an offer of admission. After May 15, schools may require applicants to respond to acceptance offers in less than two weeks. An applicant may be required to file a statement of intent, a deposit, or both. The statement of intent should provide freedom to withdraw if the applicant is later accepted by a school that he or she prefers. Under no circumstances should an applicant be asked to withdraw from waiting lists as a condition of accepting a place."

What all of this means to you, in plain English, is:

- If you are holding multiple acceptances, you SHOULD decide on one by May 15th, and release the other acceptances.

- This is not a hard-and-fast mandatory requirement, hence the use of the term "should." There is no dark lord of AMCAS who will come to your door with a gun on May 15th and demand that you choose one school, at that very instant. The reason this is not a hard and fast rule is because schools realize that applicants may still be waiting on financial aid packages or other details to be settled before they can commit to one school.

- You can remain on as many waitlists as you want after May 15th. No school can require you to withdraw from your waitlists (unless you wrote them a letter stating that you would -- that's another story altogether).

- If you receive an acceptance after May 15th, that school may ask you to make a decision in as quickly as 24-48 hours after receiving the acceptance. The school may give you 2 weeks to decide, but they are not required to at that point in time. Obviously, this means you *may* have to make a decision before you receive financial aid info. However, this is something you can try to negotiate with the admissions office, if and when it comes up.

- If you are currently holding an acceptance after May 15th, and receive another offer of acceptance elsewhere, you *should* decide as quickly as possible between the two schools (see the above point). As soon as you make up your mind, you need to inform the schools of your decision (withdraw from one, confirm your acceptance/send in a deposit at the other).

What REALLY happens if you are holding multiple acceptances past May 15th?

Every year, this happens -- usually because people are waiting on financial aid info, but also for personal/family reasons (waiting to see if their spouse can get a job in the new location, etc.), or just out of laziness. Schools will know where you are holding multiple acceptances, because AMCAS sends out a report with this info. If you are holding multiple acceptances, and have not contacted any of the schools involved, you will probably start receiving some letters or emails from them by mid-late May. Some of these are nicer than others, but the main point is the same -- the schools know you are holding multiple acceptances, they ask you to choose ASAP (or within a given timeline, usually 2 weeks after receipt of the letter) or risk having your acceptance rescinded (taken away). They also will write that if there are circumstances that require you needing additional time to make your decision, to please contact the admissions office at once to discuss your situation. If you bother to take the time to contact the schools, they are more than happy to try and help you, give you more time, etc., obviously within reason. They may not give you until July to decide, but they might give you until June 1st or June 15th, depending on the situation.

Anyways, what it all comes down to is that if you are holding multiple acceptances past May 15th for what you feel are legitimate reasons, IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO COMMUNICATE THIS TO ALL THE SCHOOLS INVOLVED. The schools can then decide if they can give you more time or not, and how much time, but at least you have done your part.

Hopefully this clears things up a little.

Members don't see this ad.

Lilycat you are awesome. THanks so much for enlightening us all! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks!! They should hire you to re-write the AMCAS information page!!
:)

Hi,
Do you know the rules for MD/PhD folks? One school that offered me a spot said they need a decision by April 15. Can I withdraw from there after April 15 if I get accepted at a different school?

Chef- What school is it? (just curious)

•••quote:•••Originally posted by chef:
•Hi,
Do you know the rules for MD/PhD folks? One school that offered me a spot said they need a decision by April 15. Can I withdraw from there after April 15 if I get accepted at a different school?•••••I don't know specifically about the rules for MD/PhD programs. I would try contacting a premed advisor at your undergraduate institution, send an email or call the AAMC (different from AMCAS -- generally more helpful), or contact the school in question directly.

My feeling is that you can still withdraw from this program at a later date should you receive an acceptance elsewhere. Look at the wording of any paperwork they ask you to sign (usually a formal letter of commitment generated by the admissions office). If it doesn't include language about NOT being able to withdraw from the program, my guess is that you shouldn't have a problem.

Cool! That info was great! I'm sure a lot of us will have our questions answered from this thread! :)