Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

May 15th questions!

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by UC-Lover, May 11, 2002.

1. UC-Lover

UC-Lover Member

hi all;
    Does anyone know whether this one acceptance holding is applied to Non-AMCAS schools too? How about MD/PhD programs?
    If anyone knows the website that explains that rule clearly, please post it here!!!! Thanks a whole lot.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. none

none 1K Member

Why are you willing to risk it?

<a href="http://www.aamc.org/students/applying/policies/recommendations.htm" target="_blank">http://www.aamc.org/students/applying/policies/recommendations.htm</a>

Drop all medical school acceptances except one before May 15th, regardless of AMCAS status or MD/PhD status.

4. McEntrye

McEntrye Senior Member

I say let those AMCAS bastards sweat for a little while after all the crap we have had to deal with for the past year.

So you don't really need to make a descision until the schools you want send you really threatening letters. Then decide.

At the same time, realize that our future colleagues ARE on waitlists and would greatly appreciate a rapid choice on your part.

5. none

none 1K Member

Why would holding on to multiple acceptances bother AMCAS at all? It's the people on waitlists and the individual schools that are hurt by that.

6. none

none 1K Member

Why would holding on to multiple acceptances bother AMCAS at all? It's the people on waitlists and the individual schools that are hurt by that. And the applicant has no guarantee they'll receive any threatening letters...before they receive rescinds of all their acceptances.

7. Jo

Jo Member

Hey all,

I was planning on sending a letter to a school that I'm withdrawing from as well as an email early next week. My question is whether the written letter should be in the office by May 15 (in which case I will overnight it), or if it would be fine to just send it regular mail (so long as the email gets sent by May 15). What do you think?

Thanks!

8. lilycat

Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    none is right -- not replying until after May 15th doesn't hurt AMCAS in the least -- it only affects you, the schools, and your fellow classmates.

The May 15th guideline seems to apply to all schools across the board, regardless of participation in AMCAS, dual-degree programs, etc. However, I have heard of some MD/PhD programs that wanted decisions by April 15th. If that was the case, obviously you should be aware of that now.

If you are concerned about a letter of withdrawal not arriving at the admissions office until after May 15th, I would go ahead and send your letter by regular mail, but also call or email the admissions office as well. That way they will know to expect it and can start making plans, and you don't have to worry about receiving threatening letters. No need to overnight or FedEx anything.

9. none

none 1K Member

Yes, this close to the deadline, CALL!

10. Incendiary

Incendiary Fantabulous Member

Yeah, send an email on Monday, and then send the letter by regular postal mail. I don't think they're going to dump you if you haven't withdrawn from everywhere by May 15. I think they want it around then, but if your letter arrives on May 16, I don't think you'll be reapplying this summer... :p