May 15th Waitlist Confusion-Mania

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Meep-Meep

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard from a lot people that the waitlist really doesn't start moving until after May 15th.

Here is my situation: I'm accepted at school (A) and waitlisted at school (B). I would like to go to school B. If May 15th roles around I have to finalize my acceptance decision irrelevant of whether school B has let me off the waitlist correct?

If I accept school A on May 15th and school B pulls me off the waitlist after May 15th am I allowed to accept school B and decline acceptance at school A?

Hahah, I hope that makes sense. If not- blame it on dehydration from being at the beach all day. Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

You can go to School B

They can't force you off a waitlist.

May 15th is irrelevant to waitlists. If you have multiple acceptances, you can only have one after 5/15. If you have multiple waitlists, you can stay on all of them as long as you want.

Members don't see this ad :)
School B is USF right? I think I remember you from a prior post. Pelican is right. They can't force you out of a waitlist. I hope to see you at USF in August. :D

So, after May 15th, do these schools find out where your one held acceptance is, and what waitlist(s) you're on, if any?

After June 1st, if you already have an acceptance, but are still waitlisted at a particular school, that school must call the school that has already accepted you and notify them that they also plan on making you an offer. Hope that makes sense.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Papa Smurf:
•After June 1st, if you already have an acceptance, but are still waitlisted at a particular school, that school must call the school that has already accepted you and notify them that they also plan on making you an offer. Hope that makes sense.•••••WTF??? a school that waitlisted you needs a permission to accept you? I wonder if that's the reason people with no acceptances have a greater chance of being pulled off the waitlist.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by CANES2006:
•School B is USF right? I think I remember you from a prior post. Pelican is right. They can't force you out of a waitlist. I hope to see you at USF in August. :D •••••I *think* school A is USF and school B is UF where she is waitlisted at.

Meep-meep, you don't have to drop any waitlists until maybe when school starts.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Papa Smurf:
•After June 1st, if you already have an acceptance, but are still waitlisted at a particular school, that school must call the school that has already accepted you and notify them that they also plan on making you an offer. Hope that makes sense.•••••And if the school you are accepted at has a letter of intent from you, I bet you won't get that second acceptance. Just another reason why one should only write *one* letter of intent. :D

Hey guys,

Thanks for the help. So, as I understand it I can hang on to my waitlists after May 15th. I can even still get accepted off those waitlists after May 15th, but I just have to be down to one "acceptance" by May 15th. Coolio.

Thanks guys! I'm going to the beach- must keep mind off of this craziness!

P.S. School A is USA and School B is USF.

Just to make this more complex... (I posted this to financial aid too by the way)

If accepted at A, waitlisted at B, want to go to B. A offers financial aid and wants your approval of loans, what happens if you sign for those loans and are then pulled off the waitlist at B and want to go there?

What is the deadline for signing for loans?

I have the same ques as trouta, so bump!

Your best bet is to call the financial aid office and ask. But if I were to guess (and its only a guess) I would think you would be Ok. I don't think you are obligated to take the money until you actually have the money in your hands. If there is some origination fees or application fees for the loans, they might keep those amounts, but even if the loan check comes, you can just hand it right back and say "I'm paying back my loan in full today."

Don't sweat it. Until you actually spend the money they can't hold you to paying it back.