May 16 MCATers I'm starting EK 10 week study on the 8th, anyone want to join me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kateb4

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just slated out the 10 week study schedule to start Thurs 3/8 (though I don't have the 1001 Q's, so I'm skipping that portion). Just wanted to see if anyone out there wanted to join me so we can keep eachother on track.

I'm anticipating this first week being a bit of a challenge for me to start since I have two midterms and a paper to write before the end of the week, but I'm still going into this hopeful!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey KAte!
Ill start it with you, Im scheduled to take it on May 31st though; More prep can never hurt!
I just got the EK complete set, but i dont know what the 10 wk study schedule entail!!? Is it ont he EK website? Anyway, let me know!
Ill be your study partner.

lets tackle this beast called the MCAT

I m taking it on the 16th too :) So I ll join. I know that week is going too be tough for me as well. I have finals during that week.

Lets really keep each other in check.
I am working on the EK 101 verbal section right now and I literally suck at it. I dont knw whats the solution, oh well. I have to figure it out this time, theres no option. I got a 3 in verbal the last time I took it.

The EK hoome study schedule is on their website

OK, good to see a couple of others here! My plan was to start on the 8th with the first full length practice test. I'll probably start with CBT3 which I think is shorter, but free just for the first test, which is really just to get you familiar with the testing procedure. (The rest are $35 each, so I may take some of the paper ones that I already have to save a little, we'll see later).

Anyways, I have a health physiology mid-term tomorrow and a OChem mid-term Friday, so I'm going to have to fit in that first test somewhere in between studying for those. Do you guys know, on the online CBT's do they score them for you, and do you get to review all of your answers?

And 5moreminutes... I'm taking a Psyc class this semester called "Thinking" (it's an interdisciplinary studies requirement), but anyways it's all about critical thinking and critical reading skills. I think that some of the techniques that they have taught will be helpful on the MCAT verbal. I'll see if I can find the powerpoint presentation on that section and I'll send it to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone.... well I guess we are in the same boat... I opted however to take the May 31 exam... I figured a couple more practice tests and better grades on my classes this semester was better than pushing my luck with premature examilation... you know taking an exam to early... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

WRAP IT IN QUOTESSSSSSS... I made myself laugh... OMG i am such a dork.

lollllllllllllllllll

OK, anyways... don't forget about us at the other thread... if your putting good information pertaining to the information and books please update both threads if it is not too much trouble...

I actually have lots of information throughout our big arse thread about certain subject material and what not that will make the information easier to get through... IMO...

I am planning on moding the front page 1st thread to include links to various parts of the thread that will allow people to go to the first part and click to exactly where they need to go.

Lastly, for the person on the verbal are you going to try the method that EK gives per the lecture book on Verbal? the information that book has is awsome, I don't know if it is in the 101 books but if it isn't then I would most def give that a read.

GOOD LUCK ALL

YaY! WE are three...Im also bombarded with school work so lets uplift each other throughout the process!

The CBT3 offered on e-mcat website is indeed graded, also you have the option of seeing the answer as you are doing the test. If this is your diagnostic, it's preferable no to use that option!:D ...your performance will be scored and you also get an analysis report of where your strength and weaknesses are (social sciences, humanities, etc...) I am working on VR, and i am progressing, after doing my 20th passage i finally got a perfect score...:cool: ...i hope it wasnt luck!

I wish you the best on that O-chem test! :thumbup:

ok here is the progress guys! I had taken the full length test 2 weeks ago and scored poorly on my verbal reasoning (4 :laugh: ) ...well i just took the verbal reasoning test from another practice test and got a 10! Not bad at all! GO EK!!!:thumbup:

I'm with you guys, I take it on May 16 also. I've got my book on my desk and keep telling myself I have got to make some time to study! I'll take CBT 3 on the 8th also. I took a kaplan diag. and I need help remembering the bio from a year and a half ago. I don't understand what happened on the VR section though, I've done great on ones in the book and others I have found online but I sucked at the one in the diag.

me too!! i will join you guys as well!. I took the kaplan diag, and got a 21, but i think i will take cbt 3 as well as my diag. Goodluck to everyone..and let's keep each other in check! We can DO THIS!!

Hey Kate. Would like to join...sign me up. Just started at home with EK books and took time off work to really do the deed this time around. Not my first time taking it but my first time starting completely over. Just took AAMC 3R CBT and boy, am I ready to get busy!! Lemme know if I can join yah!

New here to Sdn as of a few hours ago!! Glad to see so many like me in the sense that I am, also, preparing to take the MCATs the first May administration. This isn't my first time taking the exam or prep'ing for it -- former pencil and paper test taker. So, mastering a technique for the CBT will be interesting.

BTW, I've just taken the free 3R CBT from the AAMC Online website -- boy, did my score SUCK!! I really, really tanked!!! But, I'm not discouraged, I'll work hard and get them up (Verbal - 4 {ick :p } PS - 4 -{yikes :scared: } and BS – 8 {phew, some decent news:laugh: }). Yes, btw, they do score it for you, offer the answers after each question and give you various ways to analyze your results. You can also manipulate how you take the exam (no timing or timed, out of sequence progression, guess rate of success, etc). You can print the analysis but not the test itself. What's great about the new CBT MCAT is that it is a shorter exam. YES, that is a good thing particularly since, if your like me, keeping your focus and concentration for shorted bursts during the exam might not be so grueling. Anyway, I hope to get involved in a study group here real soon. I just started my prep a short time ago using new tools -- the EK books and Audio Osmosis CD's and want to keep focused and motivated. Holla back soon. :D

New here to Sdn as of a few hours ago!! Glad to see so many like me in the sense that I am, also, preparing to take the MCATs the first May administration. This isn't my first time taking the exam or prep'ing for it -- former pencil and paper test taker. So, mastering a technique for the CBT will be interesting.

BTW, I've just taken the free 3R CBT from the AAMC Online website -- boy, did my score SUCK!! I really, really tanked!!! But, I'm not discouraged, I'll work hard and get them up (Verbal - 4 {ick :p } PS - 4 -{yikes :scared: } and BS – 8 {phew, some decent news:laugh: }). Yes, btw, they do score it for you, offer the answers after each question and give you various ways to analyze your results. You can also manipulate how you take the exam (no timing or timed, out of sequence progression, guess rate of success, etc). You can print the analysis but not the test itself. What's great about the new CBT MCAT is that it is a shorter exam. YES, that is a good thing particularly since, if your like me, keeping your focus and concentration for shorted bursts during the exam might not be so grueling. Anyway, I hope to get involved in a study group here real soon. I just started my prep a short time ago using new tools -- the EK books and Audio Osmosis CD's and want to keep focused and motivated. Holla back soon. :D

Yeah, not my first time either, I took the paper test last Aug, and ended up with a 26. With my GPA, I'm really looking for 30+ to get in. Anyways, thanks for the info. I'll probably take the CBT (3) Wed or Thursday as a starting point, timed and everything so that I can get a feel for where I'm starting again. Last time I really just listened to the AO and reviewed some things that I was rusty at (took most of my gen Bio 10 years ago, and genetics was 8 years), plus I just was never good at physics. I really think that my weakness will be physics, so I think that I'm going to have to find some supplimental study materials or just go over all of that twice or something.

Glad to see so many people here by the way. I guess I'll make up a list later, and we can keep updated on our progress!

OKAY... here's our group so far, if anyone wants to join feel free copy this list to add your name.

DocMTL
5moreminutes
christian15213
AAhopeful
holycow
Docsaintrita71
Scooby-Doo
Kateb4

Members don't see this ad :)
So my story is...this is my second time studying for the MCAT. Didn't do so well in August and I'm aiming for May 15. I work a full time job in biotech and I have this big business trip to Europe in Early June...so I have to get this test done by May 15. Has anyone ever worked a full time job while studying for the MCAT? And how did you do it? I get exhausted after a full day of work. and I need to figure out how to maximize my time without getting burnt out. Good luck, everyone!:luck:

So my story is...this is my second time studying for the MCAT. Didn't do so well in August (9,9,9 Q) and I'm aiming for May 15. I work a full time job in biotech marketing and I have this big business trip to Europe in Early June...so I have to get this test done by May 15. Has anyone ever worked a full time job while studying for the MCAT? And how did you do it? I get exhausted after a full day of work. and I need to figure out how to maximize my time without getting burnt out. Good luck, everyone!:luck:

Well, not a full time job, but I'm full time in school (3 days per week) then when I am at home I'm a full time mom to a 2 year old and a 4 year old, then I'm also working to get help my husband get his business started. I'm exhausted just thinking about a day here! Really, for me the best thing has been making a schedule. When I'm supposed to be studying I am studying, and when I'm not, I'm not! And the schedule has to be realistic, so don't slate yourself to work from 9-5 then study from 6-12 daily, because once you slip off that it will be easier and easier to just skip it or slack off. Examine your time commitments right now, and look at something like the 10-week schedule to see if you can fit that into your time. If not, then maybe a later test date would be better for you.

I agree totally. Scheduling is the best thing for this kind of preparation. Even though I have time, I STILL MUST WRITE OUT A SCHEDULE and it MUST BE COMPLETE -- it includes meal time, laundry, return phone calls (if I make any), bill paying, etc. Be really thorough about it too. Its way too easy to waste time because of last minute errands and unexpected things that come up everyday. Put EVERYTHING down because then you will know exactly how much time you actually have and how best to spend it. Just b/c I've no work responsibility at present because I believe full immersion will work best for me (too easily distracted), I still must maximize the hours I choose to study. Full immersion is simply a choice I AM making but you DO NOT have to do it this way. In fact, I know quite a few people who worked full time and got into the low or mid-range 30's on the MCAT. Time or lack there of is not the real enemy and its management is important no matter how much of it you have, full time work or not. I am not the "guru" of time management but I'm definitely a work in progress. Perhaps Kate is right. Given your situation, it might be best for you to consider pushing your date back a little bit. Just a thought, but again, think and plan accordingly. Good talking with you guys. :)

Hey guys!!
I just had a loooooooooooooooonnng day at work! I work as a grader for the upper division class offered at my school (Cellular and Molecular Biology), and i spent close to eight hours grading papers upon paper upon papers:sleep: :hungover: ...IAM SO BEAT!!! especially when you've spent half of the time reading bad english...anyway...tonight is physics!!!! I hope to get through two lectures....well, lets say one for now..my eyes can only take so much reading at this point!! Ok, all, stay encouraged, and stay focused!!! :hardy:

do any of you have material for physics!!! I really thought i had physics of all subjects down packed!!!!! But i just took my first 30 minute exam and did poorly.:confused: :mad: (8) I think its just exhaustion from a really long day! Im really angry with myself, and im wondering if any of you have additional material. help me out!

do any of you have material for physics!!! I really thought i had physics of all subjects down packed!!!!! But i just took my first 30 minute exam and did poorly.:confused: :mad: (8) I think its just exhaustion from a really long day! Im really angry with myself, and im wondering if any of you have additional material. help me out!

No, but I could use some also! I know that this is my weak subject, and I could really pick up my scores here.

thanks for your replies! I think you're both right...it may all be a matter of me how i'm using my time opposed to when i'm using it and how long. with that said...i'm hitting my ek books! And yes, I am using the 10 week schedule although I'm technically on week three at this point. Thank you for all your suggestions and motivating words!

DocMTL
5moreminutes
christian15213
AAhopeful
holycow
Docsaintrita71
Scooby-Doo
Kateb4
ronehh

Hey guys, count me in. Lets slay this test :thumbup:

im soooooo lost on everyone talking about this 10 week schedile. Is it an online class or something...because, im just studying the books without that schedule.
Will someone take me out of my ignorance!:cool:

Kateb4,

Taking it on May 11. I think I can still pull off the 10 week thing before the exam. May I join? Thanks.

im soooooo lost on everyone talking about this 10 week schedile. Is it an online class or something...because, im just studying the books without that schedule.
Will someone take me out of my ignorance!:cool:

The 10 week schedule is just something that EK has to spread out the readings evenly over 10 weeks. It is available on the EK website, or I can email it to you if you PM me. It just breaks the series out into daily readings and exercises for you to do to help you keep on track. I just adjusted the schedule to fit my life, and still get everything in by the test date.

Really, the schedule that they have is just a nice break-down to evenly space the books and practice tests out over 10 weeks. Take a look at it, and you can re-arrange it so that it fits into your needs best.

Kateb4,

Taking it on May 11. I think I can still pull off the 10 week thing before the exam. May I join? Thanks.

Yeah, you can adjust the schedule to catch up a few days (there are a few days off that you can skip or do a few extra readings to catch up.

About the CBTs, does anyone know how much time you are alloted to take it? I am trying to schedule out my babysitter and need to make sure I have someone here long enough for me to take and review the test.

I can't find anything on the AAMC site about the timing! Thanks!

Edit: I'm guessing 4 1/2 hours to take the test since I found that is what the actual CBT is now.

The 10 week schedule is just something that EK has to spread out the readings evenly over 10 weeks. It is available on the EK website, or I can email it to you if you PM me. It just breaks the series out into daily readings and exercises for you to do to help you keep on track. I just adjusted the schedule to fit my life, and still get everything in by the test date.

Really, the schedule that they have is just a nice break-down to evenly space the books and practice tests out over 10 weeks. Take a look at it, and you can re-arrange it so that it fits into your needs best.

Yeah, you can adjust the schedule to catch up a few days (there are a few days off that you can skip or do a few extra readings to catch up.

Thanks a whole bunch!!!! And thanks to other guy who gave me the schedule...Im a lil ahead of schedule but that can never hurt.

The CBT is no more than 5 hours. The breaks are optional so it may be a much shorter than the predicted time.

Hey Kate. Good to see you and everyone back here at SDN. The timing for the 3R CBT is 70 mins for PS, Verbal is 60 mins, Writing Sample is still the same 2 sections of 30 mins each and BS is 70 mins. Each section, except in between the writing samples, has a 10min break that you can choose to take or skip...up to you. Scoring the test takes a few secs and I suggest printing out your scores when you first get them. When you start going into and out of the test to go through it, its fairly easy to accidentally change answers and thus change the score you orginally had. What I mean by this is that I printed the results immediately and then, as I went through each response, I checked why I got the question wrong (they have a box after each wrong response where you can select one choice from a scroll of suggested reasons). In identifying why I got things wrong, my cursor may have hit the screen here or there and by the time I noticed it, my PS, BS and VR original scores had "improved"?? So, just use a little caution with your cursor. Later guys. Hitting EK hard tonight. Stay in there everyone!!!

are you guys doing the Audio Osmosis part? just wondering, I hear mixed reviews about it.

are you guys doing the Audio Osmosis part? just wondering, I hear mixed reviews about it.

I listened to this for my first MCAT, and it was helpful. I think that it alone wouldn't be a good tool, but it goes along with the EK books pretty well, so to use that as a suppliment after you have read the chapter I think is useful. OK, Jordan and Jon are really corny, and for some reason the sound effects and music are alot louder than the voices which is annoying but the material is good. Also, I am able to use my 45 min commute to school to study instead of listening to some crappy talk radio.

hi guys...sad news..i bombed aamc 3:(. Got a 16. can you believe it!? breakdown: 4(PS), 6(VR), 6(BS). I think the first time i took a diag i got a 7 in PS...and an 8 in VR...i am going down, not up!! ugg!Got to hit the books hard!

hi guys...sad news..i bombed aamc 3:(. Got a 16. can you believe it!? breakdown: 4(PS), 6(VR), 6(BS). I think the first time i took a diag i got a 7 in PS...and an 8 in VR...i am going down, not up!! ugg!Got to hit the books hard!

Just keep at it, you ll be fine. Atleast that is what I say to myself.
A little update on me, I have a lab report due on Tuesday, a final on Thursday . I think I can still find 2 hours a day to study the MCAT till then. And then I have one more final tha following monday on the 19th. After that it is just MCAT all day long till the end of the month. Then starts the quarter again. :scared:

Keep keeping your heads in the books! :)

hey do you guys think I need to have taken two semesters of physics or is one going to be enough for the mcat. If I take phys over the summer I am gonna take physics over summer???? If not I will just raise GPA even more and apply for 09. Higher GPA.

hey do you guys think I need to have taken two semesters of physics or is one going to be enough for the mcat. If I tkae phys over the summer I am gonna take physics over summer???? If not I will just raise GPA even more and apply for 09. Higher GPA.

I really think that 2 semesters of physics is needed. I had a friend who studied on his own and did ok, but if you can take phys over the summer and shoot for the Aug MCAT, you may still be able to apply for the 08 cycle.

Kate I think your right, its better to have both It just seems like there is a stigma with an august mcat but since the grading is cut in half maybe it isnt that big of a deal anymore..I see people like with 34 and upset on here and stuff but I just want 10 -13 in each section!!. I hope we all get 45's there was this post for verbal where some guy like read the passages differently they said it improved there score a ton you should search it if interested.

ugh...

I'm doing it right now. (1 full-time + 1 part-time job) I started Kaplan in Feb, but it's been so hard keeping on top of it, and I'm about a month behind now. Somehow I have to catch up and be ready by may 11! the next 2 months are going to be HELL!

Hey KAte!
Ill start it with you, Im scheduled to take it on May 31st though; More prep can never hurt!
I just got the EK complete set, but i dont know what the 10 wk study schedule entail!!? Is it ont he EK website? Anyway, let me know!

Its on the first page of the mini MCAT book.

Alright people I'm in. Just pushed mine back to the 16th, need to get back on track. I need to do Ochem and review all the 30 min tests in the back of the EK books, as well as go through the 1001 material. Then every week i plan to do a practice test. This will be hard as i'm starting work again..but this time I will make a schedule and stick to it!

Ugh... finally got around to taking the practice test 3 CBT. 26 composite, 8ps/10vr/8bs. At least I can say that I have room for improvement, right?! My Ochem was terrible and my Physics was terrible. Now, I did take that before I cracked any study books, so lets see how much I can improve.

I would also like to join your study group. I have tons of material. I have kaplan, princeton review and all of exam krackers including the 1001 question books.

Ugh... finally got around to taking the practice test 3 CBT. 26 composite, 8ps/10vr/8bs. At least I can say that I have room for improvement, right?! My Ochem was terrible and my Physics was terrible. Now, I did take that before I cracked any study books, so lets see how much I can improve.

Hey Katie. Do NOT feel badly. Did you look back at MY scores on the 3RCBT? You'll do fine. Keep at it and improvement is sure to come. Come to think about it, I've got alot of stuff to do as well. Hope your studying is going great. And I hope everyone here gets 40's and up!!:D

GOT A QUESTION FOR ANYONE WHO KNOWS. Going back over the first chapter in the OChem EK book and something is BUGGIN' ME! The first question, pg. 9, in that book, I believe the answer is not right. They say the correct structure is A but I think its D. I read the explanation several times and the structure they are looking for is a tetra-O-methyl. Choice A has 5 O-methyl groups, which is, I believe, incorrect. Any ideas, anyone, before I lose the little bit of my mind I have left tonight? :mad: :smuggrin: :confused:

I'm signed up for the May 16th exam but my EK books are only coming next week. I hope the fact that I had a somewhat respectable 30p last August will allow me to catch up since I'm already a ~week behind.

Hey Katie. Do NOT feel badly. Did you look back at MY scores on the 3RCBT? You'll do fine. Keep at it and improvement is sure to come. Come to think about it, I've got alot of stuff to do as well. Hope your studying is going great. And I hope everyone here gets 40's and up!!:D

GOT A QUESTION FOR ANYONE WHO KNOWS. Going back over the first chapter in the OChem EK book and something is BUGGIN' ME! The first question, pg. 9, in that book, I believe the answer is not right. They say the correct structure is A but I think its D. I read the explanation several times and the structure they are looking for is a tetra-O-methyl. Choice A has 5 O-methyl groups, which is, I believe, incorrect. Any ideas, anyone, before I lose the little bit of my mind I have left tonight? :mad: :smuggrin: :confused:

Ok, thanks for the reassurance.... As for the Ochem question.... I looked up their explanation and though it was not extremely clear here's what I get out of it. They are looking for methyl 2,3,4,6 tetra-O-methyl... because it has that methyl before the beta-2,3,4,6 tetra-O-methyl, it says that C1 has a methyl group (in my brain it should just be a CH3 instead of the OCH3 that they have, but it has been awhile for my nomenclature), but it couldn't be D because that is an alcohol.

Ok, thanks for the reassurance.... As for the Ochem question.... I looked up their explanation and though it was not extremely clear here's what I get out of it. They are looking for methyl 2,3,4,6 tetra-O-methyl... because it has that methyl before the beta-2,3,4,6 tetra-O-methyl, it says that C1 has a methyl group (in my brain it should just be a CH3 instead of the OCH3 that they have, but it has been awhile for my nomenclature), but it couldn't be D because that is an alcohol.

Thanks. I appreciate your help. I didn't even consider :eek: the hydroxyl group and the fact its presence would definitely change the basic nomenclature. BTW, going back now and looking at the other choices, that is also one of the reasons for the elimination of C! Again, thanks Kate. :D

Hey KAte!

Taking test 5/16.

Would love to join ya'll.

-n

I'm on GC Lecture 4: Solutions and am having a problem understanding a few of the homework problems. Yes, I have read the solutions several times but still confused. :eek: I don't understand what the hairy heck #'s 71, 75 and 76 are talking about.

For starters, I don't understand how the calculations work for question 71. I understand the background a bit. Density equals mass divided by volume (kg/L). Specific gravity is the density of the substance (in this case, the NaCl soln) divided by the density of water. S.G. of the salt soln is 1.006kg/L and the density of water is 1000kg/m3. 1L water equals 1kg of water and 1L of NaCl soln equals 1.006 kg? How did they go from S.G. of NaCl to Mass of it (S.G. of 1.006=1.006kg??) Then, the next step, where there's an estimation of 0.006 kg or 6g of NaCl in each liter of water -- where does that come from?? Please help, not very good with solutions.

For question 75, the question simply desired you to know info not presented in the previous pages. And, for question 76, perhaps I don't understand standard molar volume very well and will go back to that section of ThermoD.

Anyone who can help, please do. Thanks.:smuggrin:

Figured out # 76....B on my own. Thanks....but still working on the others. Thank you if you were working on that one for me.:D