May 16 MCATers I'm starting EK 10 week study on the 8th, anyone want to join me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kateb4

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just slated out the 10 week study schedule to start Thurs 3/8 (though I don't have the 1001 Q's, so I'm skipping that portion). Just wanted to see if anyone out there wanted to join me so we can keep eachother on track.

I'm anticipating this first week being a bit of a challenge for me to start since I have two midterms and a paper to write before the end of the week, but I'm still going into this hopeful!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all. Worked on all the questions I said I didn't understand and now I get it. But, still having trouble with pg. 69, # 73. So, please help me understand how the conversion went from 1.006 kg to .006kg for the solution (as it reads in the answer key in the back of the book). Thanks, again study crew.:D

Hey EVERYONE!!
Is it me, or is exhaustion already kicking in...(MCAT prep with school is ridiculous) My sleeping hours have reduced to 4-5(on a good day) from my regular 8 hours. My eyes feel a little tired throughout the day, but im planning on tackling that with a bit of running in the morning..ANyway, this weekend ill be taking my 4th practice test...and hopefully ill be near the 30s.
here is the progress 21-21(no prep, i went in there stone cold just because it was free, offered by my school... and clearly no studying shows no progress :rolleyes: )-29 (improvement on my verbal score to a 10) ....
Lets anticipate 21-21-29-30(hopefully):)

About that G. Chem number..Docsintria, ill check it out tonight and ill get back at you!

Hello all. Worked on all the questions I said I didn't understand and now I get it. But, still having trouble with pg. 69, # 73. So, please help me understand how the conversion went from 1.006 kg to .006kg for the solution (as it reads in the answer key in the back of the book). Thanks, again study crew.:D

Ok, the specific gravity of the solution was 1.006. SG = density of soln/density of water. The density of water is 1 kg/L. So the density of the soln is 1.006 kg/L. And if water weighs 1 kg/L and we are looking for the weight of the NaCl, we would subtract the weight of water from the weight of the soln and end up with .006 kg NaCl = 6 g NaCl. We need mol, NaCl is 58.6g/mol so 6g / 58.6g/mol = .1 M

Did that make any sense?

I'm about a week behind on my studying, so I better get back to work!!

Members don't see this ad :)
so guys, I am starting my EK 10 week study tommorow, I will definitely have to condense it to accomodate the study time in the next two months
But I have an off for the next two weeks, so hopefully I can keep up at it and do that
I am also going to make a daily diary here to keep a track of my progress- in one of the threads
Good Luck all and lets pray with our hard work that may 16th is the charm :luck:

Ok, the specific gravity of the solution was 1.006. SG = density of soln/density of water. The density of water is 1 kg/L. So the density of the soln is 1.006 kg/L. And if water weighs 1 kg/L and we are looking for the weight of the NaCl, we would subtract the weight of water from the weight of the soln and end up with .006 kg NaCl = 6 g NaCl. We need mol, NaCl is 58.6g/mol so 6g / 58.6g/mol = .1 M

Did that make any sense?

I'm about a week behind on my studying, so I better get back to work!!

Hi. Thanks Kate!! That makes sense. I really appreciate it. How's the studying going lately? (This is a question for EVERYONE in our study group, including Kate) For me, its pretty hard to keep up with my own schedule which is a little more accelerated than the 10week program talked about in our chat thread. I need more time to practice problems and study/memorize the info which is why the schedule is accelerated a bit -- for me, this builds comfortability versus false confidence. :scared: Anyway, my point is the schedule is hard to keep up with but I keep at it. :smuggrin: Determined to embrace this chance and jump this last hurtle!! Challenging but not unheard of. Hope you are all doing well. To the entire study group herein I wish to say, dig in, keep it up and do what you came to do!!

Well, i took the MCATpractice test (4R) and i will be definitely taking it over again...My school's library is ridiculously noisy!You'd think that because it is morning, folks will be quiet! These students drove me nuts! I tried to change location over six times and each new location was worse than the previous one!:mad: ...therefore ill have to do it again...i will not use these scores as scale of my improvement. I'm so annoyed!!!I feel like i wasted 4 hours by being frustrated with folks who can't respect that other people are studying! I got a low 24...ah well it's better than the 21! Next time!

Thanks for this awesome forum.
I am in!!!!!!
I am planning to take my MCAT's on May 11th. I am in princeton review course right now... but i need serious study buddies!
DocMTL
5moreminutes
christian15213
AAhopeful
holycow
Docsaintrita71
Scooby-Doo
Kateb4
DesiDon

I am taking my exam on May 31st.I can't do the 10 week schedule. I will try to complete it. I want to know. Which week in the schedule are all you guys are at?
I like to study with you all guys.
DocMTL
5moreminutes
christian15213
AAhopeful
holycow
Docsaintrita71
Scooby-Doo
Kateb4
DesiDon

Thank You.

I want to join all you guys.Can you guys tell me which week are you all studying in?

I want to join all you guys.Can you guys tell me which week are you all studying in?

Yeah, well in theory for the May 16th test we should be finishing week 3, starting week 4 tomorrow. Me, I'm about a week and a half behind schedule, and coming on here all of the time to procrastinate!!

i am soo soo soooooooooooo behind! i am panicky now..

Yeah, me too. It seems that the universe is against me studying for the MCATs now. I had everything ready, babysitters lined up, and time planned. Then it all went to hell. First the babysitters called in repeatedly (and still are at least once a week), then my husband's business stuff got extremely busy the last two weeks and I have to help him out. Then this week, my kitty had a major turn for the worse with her cancer, and we had euthanize her on Monday, so nothing is coming together, and now I'm about 2 weeks behind.

Ahhhhhhh, I really need to pull it together for the next 7 weeks!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you guys do all problems & passages from EK 1001 books for each lecture?

Is it good or not?

Do you guys do all problems & passages from EK 1001 books for each lecture?

Is it good or not?

I think the 1001 books are good if you feel you need the practice beyond what's covered in the EK text books. I have them, but only access them, say, if I get most of the problems in a chapter incorrect. You know, extra practice material. Same thing goes for the Audio Osmosis -- if I can't get it from the reading, I listen to AO. But, I "try" really hard to get the concept first and then, if I feel I need to, I access the other material. My problem is keeping up with my own schedule so I try not to divert too much from it. :scared: But, if I get most of the example problems in a chapter incorrect, I access the 1001 practice material. Recently, I've been staying pretty close to the texts and haven't felt the need to access the other material. See how you feel with the material. Then, go from there. Remember, the more practice you get, the better BUT do not overwhelm yourself and prevent yourself from keeping up with your study schedule. Hope that helps a little bit.:luck: :luck: :luck: :luck:

Good luck......study hard.:D :D :D :D

Ok, I'll be the first to admit that I'm still on the week two material, catching up slowly. My verbal in class tests have sucked, and I actually did ok on the verbal on the real mcat (well, I got a 9). So I'm not sure what is happening, I think that I'm overthinking the passages trying to remember the strategies. Anyways, I'm going to take another full length CBT in a few days to see if any of this has improved my scores.

So, where is everyone else at?? Seeing improvement?

Ok, I'll be the first to admit that I'm still on the week two material, catching up slowly. My verbal in class tests have sucked, and I actually did ok on the verbal on the real mcat (well, I got a 9). So I'm not sure what is happening, I think that I'm overthinking the passages trying to remember the strategies. Anyways, I'm going to take another full length CBT in a few days to see if any of this has improved my scores.

So, where is everyone else at?? Seeing improvement?

Desparately need help with verbal!!! I'm scoring around 4 or 5. The first CBT 3R, I scored a 4 and my score has not improved. Working a VR test (EK 1001) every other day and still not making much headway. Am I not reading properly? I read slow, I admit but not sure what the real issue may be. I have two masters degrees so I know I can read graduate level material and my gpa is pretty nice. But, still need a much better score. Trying to read alot more during times I'm not studying but, again, not really helping. Is there something you might suggest?
:eek: :mad: :scared:

Desparately need help with verbal!!! I'm scoring around 4 or 5. The first CBT 3R, I scored a 4 and my score has not improved. Working a VR test (EK 1001) every other day and still not making much headway. Am I not reading properly? I read slow, I admit but not sure what the real issue may be. I have two masters degrees so I know I can read graduate level material and my gpa is pretty nice. But, still need a much better score. Trying to read alot more during times I'm not studying but, again, not really helping. Is there something you might suggest?
:eek: :mad: :scared:

Hey..i was in the same position as you. I dont know how much help this will be..but, i found that after reading the verbal book a couple of times, i got confidence..every time before is start the verbal, i go back to the verbal book and just read the things i marked as important..wierd i know, but it helps me. you HAVE To do ALOT of passages..i was getting between 4-6 the whole time, and all of a sudden, it just clicked....i am terribly slow reader as well, but i really believe that the questions itself give us a lot of help...i have been getting 9,10,11 in the past few EK 101 exams..just keep working, it will click!

ok guys..i have no updates..because I am soo behind! i am not sure if i should change my test date to may 31 or perhaps may 25th. the problem is that there aren't any test sites close to me that are open for may 31. the closest one is 3.5 hours away..should i take it?

hey everyone!!

Im new to the forums...well i have been reading but just recently decided to post. Im glad to see this post, I too am taking May 16 test and well lets say I am SOOO far behind! I will be starting week two on Monday Im not really following the schedule to the point- bc i dont have the time now. Tomorrow I will be taking a verbal test and do chapter 2 bio- hope that goes well. I will continue updating my progress hope you guys do the same!

ok guys..i have no updates..because I am soo behind! i am not sure if i should change my test date to may 31 or perhaps may 25th. the problem is that there aren't any test sites close to me that are open for may 31. the closest one is 3.5 hours away..should i take it?

It's still possible if you have time to do a little catch up. I guess it depends on how comfortable you are with the material to begin with, though. The material is really only 8 weeks worth if you take out the days off, and even that can be condensed. I have been skipping the "pre-reading" day and just getting to the point on actually reading the material and taking notes. Also, the things that I am more familiar with I read quicker, and will do 2-3 sections on a day instead of just 1. I lost about 2 weeks in the process so far, but I'm not really worried (yet). If you feel like you will be really pressed to get everything done in the next weeks then reschedule. Don't go into it unprepared or overstressed.

hey everyone!!

Im new to the forums...well i have been reading but just recently decided to post. Im glad to see this post, I too am taking May 16 test and well lets say I am SOOO far behind! I will be starting week two on Monday Im not really following the schedule to the point- bc i dont have the time now. Tomorrow I will be taking a verbal test and do chapter 2 bio- hope that goes well. I will continue updating my progress hope you guys do the same!

Hi Doc Happy, welcome! You're not too far behind. I'm just starting the week 3 stuff (though I have an orgo exam on Friday so I'm sure I'll get a little further behind this week also!)

HEY GUYS!!!How is everyone doing on the 10 week schedule. Well i for one have not really been following it...Im just tackling it on my own without that schedule...Im really ahead as far as physics, verbal reasoning and organic chemistry goes, and so far it's progressing, however i will no longer be taking it in May. The scheduled test date conflicts with my summer research fellowship so unfortunately i will have to postpone the test. Nonetheless, i will still be studying for it as if i am taking it in may, so ill be on here giving my two cents. I hope all is well guys, and stay the course!!!!You all can do it!!!

Success is not so much about the destination, but rather the journey :cool: