May 16th excitement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Binary

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since May 15th is the designated pick-an-acceptance day, does that mean May 16th is a big waitlist movement day? Is there a time when the bulk of movement occurs, or is it a gradual process over a few months?

Members don't see this ad.

Since May 15th is the designated pick-an-acceptance day, does that mean May 16th is a big waitlist movement day? Is there a time when the bulk of movement occurs, or is it a gradual process over a few months?

can you really envision any admissions office getting a reasonable amount of work done in one day?

Members don't see this ad :)
can you really envision any admissions office getting a reasonable amount of work done in one day?

I consider the day they accept me as the most important work they could ever do in a single day.

If they rank the waitlist, I dont see why the entire thing cant be computerized.

Many adcomm meets once every week or other week, so I think a lot of movement between May 16-May 31.

that's true..but there may be some significant movement the week prior since final decisios by students must be sent in at the deadline of may15th..if premeds are as neurotic as they are at my school, they will have made their decision way before may 15th and sent in their decisions so it arrives well in advance...:D

I'd love to hear back May 16th too but in reality, most of the waitlists probably won't move until well into June. Standard protocol, folks.

i think most schools have a good idea of about how many accepted students will leave the class after may 15, and have the waitlist kind of sitting and ready for a block of students to be pushed forward.

i don't see why, for schools with historically active waitlists, it would take very long to go "Oh! twelve students in the accepted class decided to go somewhere else, let's put the top twelve from our ranked waitlist in their spots!"...like someone said earlier, for ranked waitlists, it doesn't make sense for the committee to have to meet and argue over who to put in the class, and instead to just have the computer fill in the spots automatically. but who knows. i'm waiting anxiously for the second half of may, too! ;)

My birthday is May 16... It would definitely be cool if there was some waitlist movement then!!!

I think it will problably take a couple of days, though, for the ball to get rolling.

Many adcomm meets once every week or other week, so I think a lot of movement between May 16-May 31.

in previous years, there has been very little movement til june 1. some schools actually made no waitlist offers until then, and the "big movement" definitely didn't start til early june.

Last year Duke started calling people on May 16th. It just depends upon the school.