1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

May 16th MCAT: Impressions?

Discussion in 'MCAT: Medical College Admissions Test' started by CmpE, May 16, 2007.

1. CmpE

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Just got out of today's test.
    What's everyone's impressions on it?
    I thought the verbal passages were pretty interesting reads, and not as convoluted as some of the practice tests.
    Physical was pretty straightforward.
    Bio was okay, except for one "interesting" passage (by interesting I mean confusing) ;)

Remember, no specifics about the test.
    Just gauging how others feel about their performance. ;)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Lshapley

Lshapley Old Man Med Student
    2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    I was initially a little freaked out by PS. I always start with the discreets and the first one was really hard I thought! Since this was the first question, it was a bit unsettling. The first passage was actually easy, so it seemed to me that the AAMC was countering the Kaplan strategy of starting with the discreet questions. Anyway, in the end it all worked out. I settled down in the PS section and was happy with my answers when I reviewed them. Had plenty of time to complete all sections and go back and review in the other sections as well. I did think that Verbal was more straightforward than usual, which was nice. I thought bio was a mixed bag, the ochem was really easy but some of the bio questions through me for a loop.

4. MDAdam

10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Congratulations on finishing the test. Now it is a waiting game... :D

5. baseball34

baseball34 New Member
    2+ Year Member

PS- harder than aamc practices
    V- seemed about on par with practices.
    BS- ochem was straightforward but bio passages seemed harder than most of the practices

6. gleneagles3

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I thought both the physical sciences and bio tested over things i had barely studied for....bio especially. Overall, i honestly dont think it compared to the practice tests i took from kaplan and the old AAMC tests. For me, their were so many topics on the test I hoped NOT to see and BAM there they were! Very lost at even being able to predict how i did.

7. myofibroblast

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I feel EXACTLY the same...PS striaght forward, verbal I feel was striaghtforward and I felt that BS SUCKED!!! The O Chem was easy....BIO kicked my A$$

8. naturallyneha

naturallyneha Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Just got done with the MCAT and am now in my lab after being gone for 2 weeks. Overall I thought it was OK...a detailed analysis once i get out of lab[:D]

9. endofevangelion

7+ Year Member

ps wasnt bad
    verbal was standard, but i got caught up in a passage so i was rushed for time
    bio was abit tricky but not that bad.. orgo was alright

u know what this means right? smaller curve :thumbdown:

10. Lshapley

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    I think that there will be a smaller curve on Verbal, normal curve for PS and maybe a little more generous on Bio.

11. ankit1ag

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Was a little different than the prax AAMC exams. It was too much concentrated on certain topics, and didn't test a wider variety of topics in both PS and BS.

BS had several tricky questions and PS went well except for the questions that associated with familiar topics, but were just unlike what I have seen in practice. I wish they tested more topics rather than having many questions on the same topic.

12. WAWAgirl

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I agree . . . BIO - had one or two tough passages. Verbal - not too bad although I started running out of time. PS- not bad.

13. InternationaLNK

2+ Year Member

Man.. I don't feel too confident about this test..

Bio was pretty okay, but physical sciences was a bit challenging.. and verbal was kinda hard.. I was very pressed on time.

Feel free to send me a message if you want to study together.

14. LuoYing

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I promise you, no one feels "confident" about the test. Some people feel better and some feel worse, but it's hard to come out of five hours of intensive testing feeling good.

15. InternationaLNK

2+ Year Member

Yea.. you're right.. thanks for the comforting words (whether it was meant that way or not).

I'm just really worried.. because I took the test twice already.. first time, i had a 24O, second time 30Q.. this time... it was like.. I HAVE to get at least a 34 this time.. so I'm worried x 10

16. LuoYing

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Well, if you were scoring around a 34 on your practice exams, I would sit tight and not worry too much. Find something else to do wiht yourself 'cause it's a painful wait no matter what.

17. InternationaLNK

2+ Year Member

You're absolutely right.. I shall listen.

By the way.. does anybody think that the mcat's got easier to score higher on overall, compared to before the CBT requirement? Is it just me? I feel like the combination of a shortened exam time and an overall advancement in student intellectual skills in taking the mcats (which apparently, on average, increases every year) will make average mcat scores higher. If this is the case.. getting a score like 33 would not be as significant as getting a 33 one or two years ago. Any thoughts on this?

18. carlosc1dbz

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I thought it was Hard. I say that because every time I say it was easy I do bad. I liked the Verbal. It was not as hard as the practice, I think....dont tell fate I said that, or I'll do bad.

19. mshheaddoc

mshheaddoc Howdy
    Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

PS was surprising straightforward but I was still rattled as I had registration problems and my start time was delayed almost an hour. Bio I didn't think was that bad. That one genetics passage which I was completely lost on most of the question. I wasn't fully prepared for either PS or BS so oh well. The countdown begins. :luck: to everyone.

20. Playmakur42

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    The curve equalizes everything. As people prepare more and get higher percentages correct, the range of correct answers for a certain score decreases.

So, for example, one test where 70% is the average correct answers, that may equal a 9. On the next test, 80% may be the average correct, so that 70% only gives you an 8.

It seems like the sentiment is that the MCAT today was less challenging than usual, which will probably make the curve unfavorable.

21. osmosis911

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    i thought the verbal was hard... the passages were easy to read but the questions were hard. A few harder passage on the bio. O-chem wasn't bad

22. longhornstar

Just a clarification...when you guys say genetics was hard...what topics in genetics cuz it encompasses alot of things.

23. Lshapley

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    I was kicking myself on the way home because I figured out the correct answer to one of the bio questions that I was stumped on. Guess I was a little too late!

24. naturallyneha

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Alright. The entire testing experience was good overall. Honestly, it didn't feel like the test was 5 hours long. When I got done, I was like 'wow, it's actually over'.

PS-the 1st couple of passages were simple. Things got slightly harder after that, but I thought it was manageable, except for some Gen Chem questions. I'm also pretty sure there was a mistake in one of the discrete Physics questions on the last screen. I made a note of it in the comments section of the survey I took at the end of the exam.

VR-None of the passages were too bad. I thought one passage was pretty vague and abstract, but thankfully the questions were easy

Essays: Good prompts. Was freaked out for a bit when I realized that I didn't click 'Save' for one essay before time ran out. I think it should be ok, but I'm scared to look for the official word on it. Please reply only if you have positive things to say

BS-Again, started out well, meaning I was confident about the answers. Unfortunately, the confidence levels varied inversely with the passage numbers

Tip 1: I didn't have to worry about the exam starting without me. You have to click on the screen before it can. I returned after the first break to see 'Your time has run out'. I had to click OK before that screen went on to the next section

Tip 2: Read everything on the MCAT syllabus. I thought some topics were unlikely, but there was an entire passage on one such topic on Gen Chem. There are the usual favorites for sure, but just not enough of them!

Hope I made sense..am kinda zoned out now. Cheers to not thinking about the MCAT until next month!

25. Swatch_VR

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    PS: Had quite a bit of calculation questions (maybe 7-8 in total) and somewhat tougher questions, compared to AAMC practice tests. Overall, felt different and more difficult compared to AAMC practice tests.

VR: 5/7 of the passages are easy read with questions on the easy side. 2/7 of passages are more abstract, with one passage having pretty tough questions that require substantial deciphering of the passage. Time was an issue towards to end. Passage length wasn't an issue on this exam. Definitely easier than AAMC 10.

WS: gave us some very broad topics to write on; couldn't really apply examples that I had memorized, but who cares.

BS: Heavy on molecular genetics. Very little Physiology (1 renal passage). Second last passage describes a specific gene and its regulation; last passage descrbies a couple of genetic diseases along with a pedigree presented. I won't go into the specifics here. BS also felt harder than practice test, but only slightly, way better than PS. Orgo wasn't that bad, except for maybe 1-2 tricky questions.

26. jlq3d3

jlq3d3 Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    PS- I thought it was harder in that although passages were strait forward, many questions took a good amount of time to do calculations, so I had like 3 minutes left to check overthings as opposed to the usuall 9-11. Therefore, this was my worst section. I wasn't sure about that "grain" passage.

Verbal: Easier than other passages I've done for practice. Essay topics were good too.

BS- Not too bad. Wasn't sure of a few questions. Luckily a few discretes were on things I just looked over the day before.

Usually I find PS the easiest, followed by BS and then VR. But for this test, it was the opposite order.

When can we discuss specific questions?

27. ankit1ag

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    How do you guys feel about checking what you got right and wrong. I have been looking though my books and google for answers to all questions I remember or was unsure of. I have already confirmed several questions that I got wrong. I wonder how many you can get wrong and still get good scores. I dont think the scale on e-mcat.com can be used for the real tests.

Thanks,

28. naturallyneha

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I, for one, wouldn't want to discuss questions. I'll only feel worse if I find out that I messed up. I'd rather just forget about the whole thing until June 2nd week!

29. NickOICU812

NickOICU812 Cleaning Cats Since 1983
    2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    PS: Not bad except at the end of passage "7 of 7" I thought the test was finished, so I reviewed the questions. Then I find out with 5 minutes left that there were five more unrelated questions to answer. I think all was well except for one question I had to guess. The rest of the PS was easy for me. Mostly basic physics.

VR: Probably bombed it as usual. I found myself staring at the screen thinking about nothing. :eek: I was short on time for the last two passages, so I didn't get to read them all the way through. I have no idea how well I did because I blacked out but it probably wasn't good at all.

Essays: I was happy with what I wrote here. Very broad topics with a lot of possible arguments. That's better than having a narrow topic and nothing to write about.

Bio: I felt very good about this section. The only confusing passage involved an organic Rx that I'm not familiar with. There were a few obscured answers but I saw them, very pleased.

I really liked the new computer test. It was a lot shorter which made it seem easier. :thumbup:

30. medking

medking The time will come...
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Man o man. First off, congrats to all who completed their test today. Even if you didnt think it went well, I congratulate you for even taking the crazy test.

My impression of todays test:

PS was probably not hard for most people, but it was stuff that I hate and suck at the most......ugh.................. so even though I usually score 11-12 I dont think I will get anywhere near. Disappointing.

VR was alright, but I dont do well in this section so I cant say anything.

BS was fine. This was the section that I was most comfortable with. I hope I can score as high as I was scoring on practice tests (12-13), but we shall see.

I just hope that I can make a 30. Thats all I'm hoping for now.

Best of luck to all of you!!! (including me, lol)

31. Addb

Addb Custom User Title +1
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Wow. Ok.

I thought it was significantly easier than the practice online test. I remember thinking about halfway through the first section "this is it?" I suppose all that mass cramming of formulas last night really helped. My scratch paper had formulas, calculations, and even a few diagrams scribbled on it.

PS: As I said, I thought it was the easiest section. All I can say is know your formulas! Not the abstract ones of course, but know a few more than the basics. I found the concepts to be a bit... basic. There was one question I spent almost all of my review time (about 5 minutes) on, and still wound up guessing.

VR: There was one passage that was a real snoozer. The others were surprisingly interesting (and relevent), and the questions seemed a bit straightforward. Another passage was interesting, but I had trouble following it and wound up zoning out and wasting a good 4 minutes rereading it. There was only one question (in the "cat" passage) I took a complete guess on: one of those dang "If _________ were discovered ___________, how would it affect the author's stance that _________."

BS: One orgo question actually made me snicker out loud. I could have answered it in Chem 1 honors in 10th grade, literally. Overall organic was not too difficult, but there were some biology questions that actually gave me a headache (combined with the long hours of staring at a computer screen with a frame rate of 60...). As mentioned before, the renal passage was tough, and the genetics questions were all over the place in terms of difficulty and topics covered.

I think I at least managed a 26. My scores will probably be VR > PS > BS.

The first writing prompt was straight forward, but the second made me think a bit. I ended up scrapping my original plan and rewriting it halfway though. I was starving at that time so I resorted to gimmicks and fluffy analogies. Hopefully I get a light-hearted reader lol

To naturallyneha: I didn't save my first passage after about halfway through. I'm in the same boat as you, if it makes you feel better.

32. TDizzle

TDizzle Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

#31 TDizzle, May 16, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  33. missicyhot

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    PS- i thought it had a lot more calculations than i was used to..i kept rechecking bc i always miscalculate when i'm nervous so almost ran out of time. but i was expecting harder so i was kinda worried when it seemed less intensive than i thought it would be. glad others felt the same..

VR- was alright, hated the agriculture passage but everything else was pretty interesting. didn't feel zoned out in the middle like i usually do. should i worry??

BS- orgo was straightforward but still probably missed some bc i didn't study it as in depth as i should have...:( but bio was okay except for the renal passage that everyone is talking abt.

i thought it was weird that i wasn't as exhausted afterwards as i usually am, is this normal?? makes me second guess myself!!

also...i wore glasses to my exam when i usually wear contacts, and i couldn't put the big orange noiseblocking earmuff things on...so i had to take my glasses off and my eyes burned so bad they started watering midway through the VR...so yeah, i don't recommend glasses if you have contacts! argggg...

34. CmpE

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Those headphones were nice.

Haha, I had no idea the MCAT people were so anal.
    They wouldn't let me use my own pencil lol. ;)

35. osmosis911

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    they wouldn't let me bring in my own tissue, had to use theirs and it had to be nicely folded.... i also had to throw away the unused tissue (won't let me take it with me...)

36. KiwiStrawberry

Pre-Medical
    im sorry but i was not under the impression that the essays the graders would see would be the last version we saved. i assumed that the essay they see is the one that is on screen when time runs out. so i did not save either of my essays at the end. am i alone in this assumption?

37. mastamark

mastamark Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I am worried about this very thing. I saved the essay I intended to be the final cut, but as I tried to do some quick editing the cursor was erasing the stuff I wrote earlier. I hope They just take the final save and not what was there when time ran out. :scared:

38. TDizzle

TDizzle Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

#37 TDizzle, May 16, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  39. osmosis911

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    me too..i hope it saves

40. Lshapley

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    I'm pretty sure that the version of the writing sample that they see if the version that is on the screen when you either click the Next button or when time runs out. The save button is just included in case your computer crashes during the course of the exam. Unlike the other sections, where you are constantly inputting new info into the check boxes the computer can keep track of, the computer doesn't keep track of what you write in the little box until you save or progress to the next screen.

41. KiwiStrawberry

Pre-Medical
    Yes, Lshapley, you are right. I apologize for making people worry about this. This is what the AAMC said via email about my question: "The computer automatically saves the final version of your essay, if you run out of time, or if you move to the next section of the exam." I hope this clears up any confusion. Thank you to everyone who answered me in the meantime.

42. heymisslady

heymisslady Member
    10+ Year Member

where can i find a copy of the syllabus?

43. thedude007007

2+ Year Member

so for anyone here who did Kaplan, was anyone else here really pissed off that they didnt cover k-selected vs. r-selected. im pretty sure i got it right by process of elimination, but thats still ridiculous.

44. Playmakur42

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
  45. RawkusMD

RawkusMD gloomy
    7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    I'll echo the sentiments of most that posted already...

PS - Pretty straightforward, more calculations than usual but basic, probably about 60% physics, chemistry was mostly atomic structure and bonding from what I can remember

VR - Again I thought the passages were pretty straightforward and didn't require any rereading, however the questions were average or more difficult, felt good after finishing this one but that's not good right EK?

BS - Definitely the most difficult section, figures it would focus on my weakest areas (genetics and microbio), probably about 30% ochem

Writing - Prompts were broad but it's always difficult for me to organize my ideas, felt like my essays might have been a little too short, how long were other peoples essays?

Overall I think it was one of the easier MCATs, however I figured out I got some basic questions wrong so future takers remember not to get so caught up in specific information that you forget the basics

46. reine1jb

reine1jb MD/PhD hopeful
    2+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    I definitely feel the same way, I felt that the PS section had a lot of questions concerning the same topics. I felt that the practice tests that i did were more well rounded but...i guess we'll have to wait and see

47. Foghorn

Foghorn Guest

A friend of mine took it yesterday. He said it wasn't too bad. Lots of calculations on PS, moreso compared to the AAMCs, with emphasis on electromagnetism topics. I actually warned him about this several months in advance. I noticed that people posting on this forum who had taken the MCAT hardly mentioned about EM on their test. I figured AAMC was going eventually going to put lots of questions about it.

He felt rushed on the last VR passage 'cause he was running out of time. Nothing too difficult on BS except the renal passage.

He mentioned this also. It's a topic regarding how high/low population density and environmental conditions affects reproductive success/life traits.

48. cathbig

cathbig Big TX Catheter
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Wow, glad to be done with this test.

I found PS and VR to be relatively easy, I had no problems with either section. BS, which is normally my strongest section (avg 12-13 on AAMC practice tests) seemed a bit more difficult, mainly just one passage and a few other questions I can't remember. Still, not too bad.

Overall, fairly easy. I'm hoping I'll hit right at my practice avg, around 33-34. Best of luck to everyone in getting good scores back next month :luck:

49. endofevangelion

7+ Year Member

i heard AAMC has a few experimental questions on the test that don't count toward your final score. is this true?

50. gleneagles3

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    By the way...that renal passage really pissed me off! In all my practice tests I have never encountered a topic I knew nothing about....Im talking about that "calculation" in the renal passage, I still dont know how to do it. Good time to have the worst topics on a test that really matters. :thumbdown:

51. InternationaLNK

2+ Year Member

This is true sometimes.. but I don' tknow if it still applies now after all the modifications... anyone have any info on this? And if it's true.. is it one passage in every section, or one passage in only one section per test?