May 1st deadline extension?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by uw02, Jan 16, 2002.

1. uw02

uw02 New Member

Does anyone know if the May 1st deadline has been extended? May 1st is the deadline for holding multiple acceptances, and applicants are supposed to decide on ONE med school by this date. But, one med school told me that they'll be finalizing admission decisions in mid-May!! Anyone know?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. sandflea

sandflea Senior Member

actually the deadline is may 15th, not the 1st, so maybe that's what that school was talking about.

4. altaskier

altaskier Altaholics Anonymous 92'

Yeh I was wondering the same thing, are they going to stretch that May 15th deadline this year?

5. none

none 1K Member

Why would they? Think about it, it's the deadline for holding "multiple acceptances." Why would you need to hold multiple acceptances past that date? Drop all but your top choice at the time and if something better comes along later, take that.

6. THE instiGATOR

THE instiGATOR Cow Tipper

none, I imagine it takes a school a bit of time to provide a financial aid package. Say I'm accepted at school X and am subsequently accepted at school Y (after May 15th). What would I do if I wanted to receive a financial aid package from school Y before making a decision? This would require me to hold a seat at two schools after the May 15 end-date. Unlike previous years, this is more likely to happen.

I suppose something could be worked out on an individual basis with school Y. Things aren't always as simple as you often make them out to be, though.

7. none

none 1K Member

Well, May 15th will be long post-FAFSA. It might be possible for schools to send that financial aid package along with the acceptance. Anyone have any experience with post-May 15th acceptances?

8. lilycat

Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    First off, May 15th is an AMCAS guideline, not a hard and fast rule. However, many schools do use that date as a cut-off to harrass applicants who are holding acceptances at their school in addition to others.

Financial aid -- many students do continue to hold multiple acceptances past May 15th without penalty because they are waiting on financial aid offers. If this is the case, it is only polite to inform all the schools where you are holding acceptances of this situation. Otherwise, you may become the recipient of letters that ask you to choose by the end of the month or else risk losing your seat in that class. Generally schools are understanding if you are waiting on multiple financial aid offers, and will extend their "deadlines" but not indefinitely -- you may end up getting an extra 2-4 weeks. Thus, IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO BE ON TOP OF YOUR FINANCIAL AID APPLICATIONS!! Turn in your FAFSA as soon as possible for all the schools you are still considering, call financial aid offices to find out when they are mailing applications to you, call to check on your status, etc. Most financial aid offices work very quickly -- there really shouldn't be more than a 2-week turn-around time if all your info. is complete upon submission.

Finally, the only wild card in all this is admissions off of a waitlist. According to the AMCAS guidelines, after May 15th, schools no longer have to give students up to 2 weeks to decide on an offer of admission. Thus, it is not unusual for an applicant to only have a few days to decide on an offer of admission and then withdraw everywhere else, especially as it gets closer to the start of classes. I'm not sure how waiting on financial aid info. would play into this -- it probably varies on a school by school basis with some giving extra time and others choosing not to.