May 22nd, 2009 Mcat takers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredoc4432

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, this is for all of you that plan on taking the mcat may 22nd. wondering when/how everyone is gonna be studying. I have a bunch of old kaplan books and plan on taking a kaplan class. I haven't started any intense studying yet, maybe after finals. lemme know

Members don't see this ad.

comon i know youre out there somewhere. personally im debating to take it later or not because ill only have about a month after finals for solid studying, but id like to get my application in as early as possible. any thoughts?

Hey I've been lurking for quite a while now and this is going to be my first post. I registered for the May 28th, 2009 MCAT several weeks ago and I'm going to start studying next week when my books arrive.

I ordered:
-Kaplan 2008-2009 Premier Edition
-Cracking the CBT (The Princeton Review)
-Examkrackers complete study package
-EK 1001 Q's Biology
-EK 1001 Q's Chemistry
-EK 1001 Q's Physics
-EK 1001 Q's Organic Chem
-EK 101 Verbal Passages

I'll probably start with around 4 hours a day for the content review, then try to do 3 hours of questions a day until about 2 months prior to the exam when I will just do practice exams every few days.

Does anyone have any input as to how I should change it or if that will be sufficient prep?

Cheers.

Edit: Btw, I know I'm not May 22nd, but I think its close enough.

Members don't see this ad :)
taking it on that day and fight off the urge to change it.....

Hi,

I'm enrolled in the kaplan premier program. I work full time as a Software engineer. I have not started my preparation seriously yet. From Mar 1st i'm going to take it seriously. I'm having trouble understanding the concepts as there is long hiatus since i finished my degree.

Technomed

I'm taking it on 5/22/09. I'm currently enrolled in the Kaplan prep course, I have the complete EK set, and I have access to a number of AAMC/Kaplan practice exam. So that's what I'll be doing to prepare. =)

That's when i'm PLANNING to take it..but i have not began any kind of formal intense studying...
i feel like i'm hella screwed!!! LOL

how' are you guys doing in studying right now?

I'm also taking the MCAT on the same day,trying to juggle work and study.Anyone living in Houston, and wants a study-buddy? :)

I'll be taking it on the 22nd! Studying using Examkrackers right now. How is everyone else doing?

Hi! I'm taking the May 22nd exam, as well. I am currently working part time as a medical assistant, and am a full time graduate student, so my study time is limited. But I am enrolled in TPR review classes to help me refresh the material, and spend about 10 hours a week going over material. I also take 1 practice test a week. And after grad school exams in May, I plan on cracking down and studying 40+ hours a week for the last three weeks. Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
Count me in. I'm a full time CCRN at a busy urban medical ICU, so my time is limited as well, also taking physics at a community college nearby as well. But when I'm home and free I dedicate full 6 to 10 hour days studying intensely.

is anyone in nj that want to study seriously in a study group? guys post what materials you are using and where are you in your studying. i am using mainly EK

Last edited:
I am just about to finish up content review at the start of April. I will then start practice tests while going over Physics again as it is easily my weakest area and also refining some math skills as that is another weakness of mine. Numbers freak me out and I never seem to have any confidence picking numerical answers like I do with worded answers.

Since I am in school right now, I get about 15-20 hours a week in Sat-Sun-Mon and then any free time (which is little during busy weeks) from T-F. My last final is April 28 so from then on I will devote 40-50 hours per week until the test, waking up at about 7 to get used to it since I am the worst morning person ever. Damn May 28th's noon slot being filled!

I will not be done with content review until late April .. is that bad? however, I am doing all BR physics and chem passages as well as all kaplan online subject/topical tests with my content review. I will leave FLs for late April-May ... and in the meantime.. one FL every two weeks.

I am using Kaplan and EK for bio
BR for physics, chem and ochem
also EK ochem ochem.

practice: all kaplan online stuff
BR physics and chem passages.

verbal EK and EK 101.

I also have the 1001 books that i can do in april/may to brush up only on weaknesses... but so far.. seems like i have many of weaknesses!

eeeeeeeekk

i am also taking the may 22nd mcat!

i have a question for you all: i am taking it ~2.5 hours from where i live (i live in dc and am taking it in pa), and am trying to find a location closer to home. alternatively, i would rather take it may 28 than may 22, so i would even take it farther away (seriously ny, nj, ct, wv, etc) if i could just get a may 28 date. please let me know (either here or private message) if any of you are giving slots anywhere near dc on either of those dates, and i would love to coordinate online!!! i truly appreciate your listening to my plead! thank you!!!

Just took my first FL Test today

Kaplan Test #1

PS 9
VR 12
BS 12

Overal: 33

I was happy with a 33 for my first FL, I was just EXTREMELY uncomfortable during the PS Section the whole time. I hate manipulating equations and doing calculations ... this is definitely my weak area that I will be spending the majority of my time focusing on the next month and a half when I am not taking FLs. I got 24 wrong in PS (out of 52) yet still got a 9... don't know how that works but I'll take it!

just changed to this day from may 2nd...

like many of you, I'm working full time and don't have as much time as I'd like for MCAT review, I study about 15 hours a week, but it's been taking me an abnormally long time to get through the content review because I do practice passages as I go... hope to be done with review by the end of april so that I can dedicate the three weeks in may to practice tests...

Sagtig... in the same boat as you... just switched. Everything was booked so my test is now about an hour away from me. I'll definitely be stalking the AAMC website to try and get the 28th at noon instead.

As a May 22nder, I'll revive this thread. Originally I planned for May22nd cause my boss wanted me to go to a conference come May 24th, but suffice to say plans changed and now I'm stuck with this date (unless I want to throw away 50 dollars).

Anyways, fourth time test taker for me, and I do work full time (12+ hours work day) and studying for this stupid thing. I'm practicing with a bunch of stuff, TPR, AAMC and EK practice tests, and the verbal mastery book. This will be my last time writing it, whatever the score is, I won't retake it again.

Just took my first AAMC practice test (4r) and got a pretty bizarre score:

9 PS (what I thought was my best section)
13 VR (???)
10 BS (expected)
=32

not done with content review though... but doesn't look tooo bad

That's a great score derArzt!

I will be done with content review on Friday.. 4.more.days.

I have taken 2 kaplan practice tests up to this point.. Kaplan cbt1: 25 and Kaplan cbt2: 25 :(:( started with a 16 on diagnostic in january.

goal is a 33-35 on practice, 30-31 on the real thing..I know nerves will get to me big time... not a good test taker.. at all!

trying to decide if i should take a test every 2 days or every 3 days starting saturday.. any advice? really need to bump that score up in this next month.

I'm right there with you...
I took the Kaplan Diagnostic a few weeks ago and scored a 24 (9,8,7)

Been doing Examkracker review in between exams and end-of-semester activities... I'm still not too confident on bio passages, so I've started jotting down notes while reading and it's helping so far.

Here's to the 30s! (hopefully)

I'll add one more to the list for 22 May....I was on for today but I've been falling behind in my studies since my wife just had a baby and then had to have surgery for something else. I just took AAMC 10 (Yes, the first one I've taken and I know I did it out of order but I wanted to see how well I'd do) and I got some strange (but expected scores as well (7 PS, 13 VR, 13 BS).....I expected the low PS score since I haven't reviewed optics/fields/current topics yet which is exactly what I missed. Hopefully I can review the PS material to get it on par with my other scores. I took AAMC 10 first since it seemed like a good predictor the first time I took the MCAT in Aug 2005, scored the exact same thing (10 PS, 11 VR, 10 BS). Anybody else using the Berkeley Review? I took the Kaplan course last time, but since I'm in Germany now that's really not an option. TBR does seem a little excessive in some of the material, I'm just now through the first series of books and on to part 2....it's quite a chunk to read at a time but good review of the concepts (in depth :eek:).

I really wanted to use Berkeley Review but it was really hard for me to find them in time. PS is my weakest area too but I'm doing as many problems as humanly possible in the midst of my finals to get that score where I want it.

PS is also my weakest area. I am usually okay conceptually... but when I start having to calculate things I tend to fall apart.

Here's to hoping 5/22 has a low amount of calculations!

Hello yall.

I'm with this 5/22. Feels close. I got lost's things I need to work on. But from practice test--28-30--I also see that there is a definite need for me to get more adept at the MCAT format.

Kind of jumping around polishing content and trying to miraculously get better at taking the thing.

I'm taking #9 tomorrow. I want to see if I can puncture the 32 mark.

Anyway. Here's to us kickin this things @ss.

used the wrong chart for my first practice test...
my practice scores so far

4R- 10, 11, 10 31
3R- 11, 10, 12 33

anyone else studying? this thread is dead!

Kaplan 1 = 33
Kaplan 2 = 34

AAMC 3 = 7 9 9 = 25 (awesome. -_- )
AAMC 4 = 12 11 11 = 34
AAMC 5 = 10 12 13 = 35

It's weird but I think my mental state has a lot to do with my performance, which is why AAMC 3 was a disaster. It was the day after my last final exam and I wasn't taking it too serious. Big wake up call.

Nice scores Zona. Here's mine so far:

AAMC 3 = 10P/8V/9B - 27 / [05 Mar] (before content review)
AAMC 4 = 8P/11V/11B - 30 / [ 15 April ]
AAMC 5 = 10P/9V/11B - 30 / [ 23 April ]
AAMC 6 = 10P/10V/10B - 30 / [ 30 April ]
AAMC 7 = 10P/10V/12B - 32 / [ 07 May ]

My goal is a 34. I'm hoping I can pull it up in these last two weeks with the final three AAMCs.

My mental state definitely has to do with it. When you're only getting less than 10 questions wrong a section, it really comes down to your attitude. If you feel like it can be overcome, that you can reach perfection, then I believe you can raise your scores.

Just took AAMC 6.

Ugggghhhh. Not what I want to see 13 days before my exam. Ran out of time on PS. Thought I did better than a 10 on VR but I guess not. And BS Organic destroyed me.

Awesome. : |

It didn't help that my dogs went on random barking rampages during verbal.

Last edited:
Getting so nervous!!!! Anyone have the Kaplan online materials and getting disheartened by the Physical Science tests? Hows everyone studying these last 2 weeks!!! I just got Audio Osmosis from a friend... do you guys think it's worth listening to this late in the game? AH so soon :p

Getting so nervous!!!! Anyone have the Kaplan online materials and getting disheartened by the Physical Science tests? Hows everyone studying these last 2 weeks!!! I just got Audio Osmosis from a friend... do you guys think it's worth listening to this late in the game? AH so soon :p

I'm with you on the nerves, especially because my scores are everywhere.

These last 2 weeks I am heavily focusing on content I am getting wrong in practice AAMCs. I am not sure if I should go to crazy with orgo from what I have heard lately. I hope the rumors are true as that is the bulk of my BS issues as of now. I will just continue to take AAMC tests right up until test day. Ahhhh I REALLY want to do good on this the first time as it's been hell so far and having to do this again (in the summer) would kill me.

My friends and girlfriend probably all hate me by now as all the colleges are getting out around now and everyone is reuniting while I am stuck up in a room from the time I wake up until I go to bed. Awesome.

Is this ruining anyone elses first few weeks of summer? All my buddies are raging everyday and I am er busy... the 22nd can't come soon enough. I just want to stop thinking about it.

Diagnostic ~3 months ago: KP FL in premier book: 11PS/11VR/12BS
KPFL1: 12/12/12 --> I felt well rounded that day
"2: 12/13/13
AAMC3:13/9/14
"4: 12/10/14

I don't think the Kaplans gave me a >> false sense of security because of the ease of the Verbal sections. It is by far my weakest area, and the KPL VR are so fing easy... I just broke double digits on the EK VR101 yesterday for the first time, about halfway through the book. It does even out the overall score because of the PS section, but I just think that the KPs are not very representative.

I wish I would have started taking tests earlier. I just did my first practices about 1.5 weeks ago other than the diagnostic. I definently wasted too much time studying BS. Should have been on physics and VR.

I just got Audio Osmosis from a friend... do you guys think it's worth listening to this late in the game? AH so soon :p

These helped me SOOOO much. I spend a lot of time driving. A lot of times >20 hours a week. These were in my CD player from January to now. It really racked up the "study" time,especially because it would have been basically wasted. I could listed to the discs over and over again on stuff I couldn't get. That and with it constantly on and going through review, I kept my facts sharp on everything, and didn't let "strongpoints" just sit in the back of my mind and degrade while I was working on weaknesses.

I think they would be worth it for anyone who spends a lot of time where they could listen to them, but early on in the game.

It's absolutely ruining the first part of summer! I'm pretty sure every other college kid in the world is relaxing after finals right now. Oh well, I'm just looking towards the light at the end of the tunnel. (waiting the month until our scores, haha) I guess it's too late to audio osmose... Definitely should have gotten it a few months ago when I didn't have time to study...

VR is so weird. Just did AAMC 5 and thought I did amazing in verbal, only missed 4 questions, but still got a 12. People who do really well in VR must have a lot of luck on their side!!!

Hey has anyone got paperwork in the mail or email from AAMC regarding the test?

I got the confirmation email but this is my 2nd time taking the MCAT, and I seem to remember getting stuff before the test

You don't get anything in the mail. Just print out the email that was sent to you...Come to the site with ID and snacks and get ready to kick ass!!! ( as you can see i am trying to pump myself as much as i can!)

Just 32'd (10-11-11) AAMC 7 making my average a 31 on the tests so far. Ugh.. I would be completely happy with a 31 on the real deal but I don't like my average being so close to the tipping point into the 20s. Not comfortable.

So is this the deal for us May 22nd-ers?

- Take the MCAT
- Only select one school and verify our AMCAS application
- Wait to get our scores back in mid-late June before we throw in any more schools

Is this the plan?

that was my original plan...i posted about this a couple of days ago and the replies said that the AMCAS can be "resubmitted" where it would have to be filled out a second time in order to add more schools...

looks like i'm going all in early...(applying to all schools and praying the mcat works out)

that was my original plan...i posted about this a couple of days ago and the replies said that the AMCAS can be "resubmitted" where it would have to be filled out a second time in order to add more schools...

looks like i'm going all in early...(applying to all schools and praying the mcat works out)

Wait what. I've never heard of this? Are you sure?

Couldn't you just copy and paste all of your info?

I think if I REALLY FOCUS on these tests, I can score at least 4 points higher...

4R- 10, 11, 10 31
3R- 11, 10, 12 33
5R- 11, 10, 9 30 (finished bio w 30 mins left and didnt check over it)
7R- 11, 8, 10 29 (verbal I was zoning out)

33 is the goal, 34-35 would be awesome!