May 27th vs June 13th????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dreams

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am scheduled to take the may 27th exam and I was thinking about pushing it back to June 13th, and my only worry about this is that the rest of my stats are bad so i wanted to get my stuff in as early as possible, I was going to have everything in before the MCAT scores are released either way so I was wondering if pushing it back would make a huge difference if that is the only thing AMCAS is waiting on?

Members don't see this ad.

Here's a post I recently posted in a similar thread. You're fine with taking it in June:

I think you're fine taking the mid-June MCAT. I did that, and don't think there was much of any detriment to my application. Just get your primary in in early June. If you're not sure where you'll be applying without your MCAT score, just submit your primary with only one school checked off (your state school is the best idea). That way there is NO delay because AMCAS has a really quick turnaround in early June, and you won't just be starting the process in July, which would make you late. You can add as many schools as you want later without holding the process up at all.

And AMCAS doesn't actually send the primaries to schools anyway until the end of June (June 21st last year). Many schools will send you secondaries even without your MCAT score - fill those out asap and submit them so that when your score comes out in mid-July you're complete and ready for review. You'll be in the first wave of applications that get considered. And the upside to scoring a 35 rather than a 30 is definitely worth it if the extra study time helps. And, as I said, there really isn't much of a delay anyway.

For those schools that screen and wait for your MCAT score to send you a secondary (there aren't many), just use SDN to get the secondary questions ahead of time and pre-write the essays so that when you do get it you can turn it right around.

Here's a post I recently posted in a similar thread. You're fine with taking it in June:

ok so just to get this whole process straight, if I submit everything else when AMCAS opens then they will send it to the schools I check and then when they get in my MCAT they will then send the schools that as well? So some schools will wait to send secondaries until they get everything and some not? If the rest of my app is not great would they just reject me if they didnt see an MCAT score (when they get the rest of the app at first) or do they always wait to see it all? Does it work the same for DO schools (if ya know)?

ok so just to get this whole process straight, if I submit everything else when AMCAS opens then they will send it to the schools I check and then when they get in my MCAT they will then send the schools that as well? So some schools will wait to send secondaries until they get everything and some not? If the rest of my app is not great would they just reject me if they didnt see an MCAT score (when they get the rest of the app at first) or do they always wait to see it all? Does it work the same for DO schools (if ya know)?

You can submit your AMCAS primary (after they've received all of your transcripts) the first day they "open" in June. You need to check off at least one school to submit your primary. You can check off as many as you like, but some people like to wait and see what their score will be before committing (i.e., if they bomb the MCAT and want to apply next year instead, they would be considered a "reapplicant" and have to show significant improvement for any school to which they've already submitted their secondary - or, they just don't want to waste money applying to super reach schools if their MCAT doesn't come out as hoped). You can add more schools to your primary AT ANY TIME. You can add them later in June, or in July after your MCAT score comes out, or even later in the season. It's up to you.

After AMCAS sends your primaries out around June 21st or so, some schools will immediately send you a secondary. However, most send their secondaries out in July (with a couple in August). As soon as you get a secondary you can fill it out, return it, and have your LORs sent in. That way, the only thing you're missing is your MCAT. As soon as your MCAT is released, it's automatically sent to those schools you've checked off on your primary. You will be considered "complete" and available for review right away at those schools. Some schools, however (not most), screen, and they will wait to see your MCAT before sending you a secondary. You will be a little behind for those schools, but not by much - especially if you pre-write the secondary essay questions and can turn the secondary around asap once you get it.

Every school I've heard of will wait for your score before even taking a look at your application. Until you're complete, you can't be reviewed, so you won't be rejected until your MCAT is in.

As for DO schools, I have no idea how that works as I didn't apply to any.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can submit your AMCAS primary (after they've received all of your transcripts) the first day they "open" in June. You need to check off at least one school to submit your primary. You can check off as many as you like, but some people like to wait and see what their score will be before committing (i.e., if they bomb the MCAT and want to apply next year instead, they would be considered a "reapplicant" and have to show significant improvement for any school to which they've already submitted their secondary - or, they just don't want to waste money applying to super reach schools if their MCAT doesn't come out as hoped). You can add more schools to your primary AT ANY TIME. You can add them later in June, or in July after your MCAT score comes out, or even later in the season. It's up to you.

After AMCAS sends your primaries out around June 21st or so, some schools will immediately send you a secondary. However, most send their secondaries out in July (with a couple in August). As soon as you get a secondary you can fill it out, return it, and have your LORs sent in. That way, the only thing you're missing is your MCAT. As soon as your MCAT is released, it's automatically sent to those schools you've checked off on your primary. You will be considered "complete" and available for review right away at those schools. Some schools, however (not most), screen, and they will wait to see your MCAT before sending you a secondary. You will be a little behind for those schools, but not by much - especially if you pre-write the secondary essay questions and can turn the secondary around asap once you get it.

Every school I've heard of will wait for your score before even taking a look at your application. Until you're complete, you can't be reviewed, so you won't be rejected until your MCAT is in.

thanks for all the advice, it is hard to understand just how everything works form the AMCAS website:)

i am in the exact same dilemma!!!! thinking about moving it bakc to june 13th.

when you add a school after your primary has already been verified, is it sent to the school right away or is there a turnaround that depends on the time of year?

why would you be considered behind? if you get your score in july and you add more schools to have primaries sent to, won't all schools be getting your complete application around the same time and therefore will start looking at the application at the same time?

im not sure if that last questino makes any sense. let me know if i need to try and reword what i am thinking.

thanks for all the advice, it is hard to understand just how everything works form the AMCAS website:)

You're welcome! Just get your ducks in a row early (i.e., request all of your transcripts from schools in early May to be sent to AMCAS, submit your primary in early to mid-June, be sure all of your LORs are ready to go out to schools in July, pre-write your secondary essay questions for those secondaries that are screened, etc.). Good luck!

i am in the exact same dilemma!!!! thinking about moving it bakc to june 13th.

when you add a school after your primary has already been verified, is it sent to the school right away or is there a turnaround that depends on the time of year?

why would you be considered behind? if you get your score in july and you add more schools to have primaries sent to, won't all schools be getting your complete application around the same time and therefore will start looking at the application at the same time?

im not sure if that last questino makes any sense. let me know if i need to try and reword what i am thinking.

When you add a school to your primary after you've been verified it usually goes out to the school a day later, and you'll usually get the secondary a day after that. I think when I added two schools in september I got the secondaries the next day.

I would say that if you're complete in July you're in excellent shape and are in the early batch. That would mean that the schools have received your primary, secondary, LORs and MCAT score in July.

When you add a school to your primary after you've been verified it usually goes out to the school a day later, and you'll usually get the secondary a day after that. I think when I added two schools in september I got the secondaries the next day.

I would say that if you're complete in July you're in excellent shape and are in the early batch. That would mean that the schools have received your primary, secondary, LORs and MCAT score in July.

What if I have to retake in July after the June 13th? Will it be too late to send the scores?
Thanks!

What if I have to retake in July after the June 13th? Will it be too late to send the scores?
Thanks!

It won't be "too late," but it will hold up your application. Earlier is better, but if you have to retake, you have to retake. Of course, if it's possible to take it before June you're leaving yourself more wiggle room for a retake if you need it. :luck:

Hi, I am kind of confused about when to apply.
I am taking the MCAT on July 10th. I have not yet turned in my primaries but I plan to do so by mid July.
My stats are:
gpa 4.0 ( BMS major) .( will be a senior this fall)
100 + hrs of volunteering , 95 hrs of shadowing
one year of research in a genetics lab ( co-author of a paper in manuscript) working on another project right now.
got a scholarship and another award.
I was an e-board of a cultural club.
I am here in US on a student visa ( international) and my question is , am I running late for 2009 cycle?
Can you please give me some tips? I am really worried.
Thanks a lot

Hi, I am kind of confused about when to apply.
I am taking the MCAT on July 10th. I have not yet turned in my primaries but I plan to do so by mid July.
My stats are:
gpa 4.0 ( BMS major) .( will be a senior this fall)
100 + hrs of volunteering , 95 hrs of shadowing
one year of research in a genetics lab ( co-author of a paper in manuscript) working on another project right now.
got a scholarship and another award.
I was an e-board of a cultural club.
I am here in US on a student visa ( international) and my question is , am I running late for 2009 cycle?
Can you please give me some tips? I am really worried.
Thanks a lot

It is typically hard to get into medical school as an international student. You aren't running late by taking the MCAT in July but you should really consider getting your primary application into AMCAS AS SOON as possible. That later you apply in the cycle, the longer it takes for them to process it. Good luck.