May I Please Have Some Advice for OT to DO track..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JerseyLady

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Unwilling to leave a post with a few replies.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think you should find a post bac prg first and then decide some post bac not only has classes but other activities, clubs, research volunteer etc to help improve your app. If the program does nothing but offer classes you can start taking classes on your own anywhere. Doing your post bac while doing OT is good because you can utilize that as clinical experience and you may meet other physicians that you can shadow. GOOD LUCK:oops::);)

Hi All,

I am currently in a program to obtain my masters in Occupational Therapy and will be graduating in 2011. I would like to pursue medicine afterwards and need some advice on:

What things can I do now while in OT school in order to best prepare for pre-med track?

For an example, I have very weak grades in a few science pre-reqs should I retake these on my own or take them during a post-bacc program?

Also, I would ideally like to take a postbacc right after graduating while practicing as an OT for a year, would med schools frown upon this?

Thank you very much in advance!

I think one of the best things you can do while working OT is to befriend a doctor who knows how you are with patients who can write you a great LOR for your application. Personal experience says a lot as does ease with patients. Don't underestimate the power of your work experience in the medical field.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you should find a post bac prg first and then decide some post bac not only has classes but other activities, clubs, research volunteer etc to help improve your app. If the program does nothing but offer classes you can start taking classes on your own anywhere. Doing your post bac while doing OT is good because you can utilize that as clinical experience and you may meet other physicians that you can shadow. GOOD LUCK:oops::);)

Thanks so much for your reply! I researched a few post-bacs and the ones closest to me seem as though they really only provide you with the basic classes within a 2 yr span (ie. general chem, physics.)

What is an area of concern to me are the recommended classes such as Biochem that I will be unable to take within certain post bacc time constraints. I feel as if it may be better to take classes at a community college on my own timeline. Or maybe even transfering some courses from community college into a post bacc to shorten my time and focus on higher level sciences. What is your advice on this?

I think one of the best things you can do while working OT is to befriend a doctor who knows how you are with patients who can write you a great LOR for your application. Personal experience says a lot as does ease with patients. Don't underestimate the power of your work experience in the medical field.

Thank you for your advice! I will certainly keep that in mind. I am currently in a hospital setting for a fieldwork and I am thoroughly enjoying it. Hopefully I will be able to work in an acute care setting post graduation and gain a lot of experience while taking prerequisites. But I have to admit, networking will be a little intimidating for me.

How about give us a breakdown of your GPA so we can really help?

Clinical volunteering is something needed along with shadowing.

I had a prerequisite GPA of 2.98 before entering my program.
I currently have a GPA of 3.72 in my OT program. It is a combined BS and MS program.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. What is the difference between clinical volunteering and shadowing?