May I please have some comments on these ECs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EdCLS

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I've posted a similar question in the pre-DO forum. I wanted to get the pre-MD forum opinion, as well. I currently have a 3.70/4.00 GPA and I expect an MCAT in the low to mid thirties. With that in mind, are these ECs competitive for allopathic schools? Any suggestions on where I might improve? I'm not interested in going to a top school. I'd be most interested in SIU-Springfield, UIC, SLU, and other schools of that caliber.

-Three years of full-time clerical work in an inner-city ER. The physicians here know I am a pre-med and make it a point to call me into rooms when there are interesting procedures. All have indicated a willingness to write letters of recommendation for me. I do have some limited patient contact through answering call lights and rounding on patients/families. I am changing my status to per-diem next month, but my tenure here will total five years by the time I apply to medical school.
-I recently started a job in a large area medical center's microbiology lab. I do specimen preparation and some waived serology testing. I will have two years of experience here by the time I apply to medical school.
-I am a member of the forms committee at the hospital where I work in the ER. We design and update forms for use in all areas of the hospital. I will have two years of experience here by the time I apply.
-I sit on the ethics committee at the hospital where I work in the ER. At this point, I am not able to contribute much, but I find it interesting. Again, I'll have two years of experience here by the time I apply.
-I have five years of experience as a computer consultant for the parochial high school I attended. I have continued this on a volunteer basis since I graduated.
-The final year of my bachelor's degree program (clinical laboratory science) will be a laboratory internship at a large (1,100 bed) area medical center. I will rotate through all departments-blood bank, chemistry, hematology, microbiology, etc.

I'm two years away from the medical school application process. I partially want to get input because, like many SDNers, I'm a little OCD and want some reassurance. :) The other reason is that if there are any weak spots, I'd like to spend some time over the next two years improving them.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you're on a great track!!!

Especially for the schools you want to get into

Good luck on everything. Gosh two more years...

Your ECs are interesting and stand out. SIU will love you if you're from south of I-80. You'd also have a good shot at UIC. If you have an interest in paying for a private school, other MD-granting institutions will consider you as well. You should end up having some good choices.