May want to become a spine surgeon. Does the medical school matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AspiringDoc342

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I may want to become a spine surgeon. I want to go to a Texas medical school for the cheap tuition. Does it matter which medical school I go to or will any in Texas (or any other state) work?

Will medical school matter later down the road with residency applications or once out in private practice/academia/etc.?

Members don't see this ad.

Only a little. UTSW or Baylor will improve your chances somewhat more than the others, provided you do well there. Then the 'middle pack' which are all fine. UTRGV, El Paso and TCOM might diminish your chances slightly -- But truly, only slightly. By far, the most important factor is you.

Members don't see this ad :)

Only a little. UTSW or Baylor will improve your chances somewhat more than the others, provided you do well there. Then the 'middle pack' which are all fine. UTRGV, El Paso and TCOM might diminish your chances slightly -- But truly, only slightly. By far, the most important factor is you.

So it wouldn't matter if OP went MD or DO?

I may want to become a spine surgeon. I want to go to a Texas medical school for the cheap tuition. Does it matter which medical school I go to or will any in Texas (or any other state) work?

Will medical school matter later down the road with residency applications or once out in private practice/academia/etc.?

I thought you wanted to be a pain doctor. Are you even a Texas resident?