maybe a bit unusual, but i have to ask!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drfsu21

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
ok, so im getting into more upper division work in school and that requires me to stay on campus linger and study a lot more. to do that, i have to carry a lot of books, some snacks, and a laptop on occasion. so im wondering what kind of bookbag is the best at weight distribution. i hate having that "pre-med" look where your bookbag weighs as much as a 12 year old girl. so is there a bookbag that's slimming and or carries weight better than average?

Members don't see this ad.

no offense, but that is a problem that appears in, like, junior high.

lol, maybe for the girl who never got invited anywhere

Members don't see this ad :)
hmm, how can i make "slimming bookbag" sound more understandable?? a..book..bag..that..does..not..look..fat

Get a rolley backpack ... that's what all da' cool kids are using.:thumbup:

hmm, how can i make "slimming bookbag" sound more understandable?? a..book..bag..that..does..not..look..fat

um, that would be a "slim bookbag." A "slimming book bag" is one that doesn't make YOU look fat!!!

what did you get on your MCAT verbal??

(by the way, i'm just kidding around. not trying to be mean. sorry.)

im glad you have a sense of humor dcgirl. youre making this fun

SDN is fun. med school app process, not so much. good luck!

Get a wheelie jobbie, like above. Or get a backpackers pack (the kind without the metal support, duh) because you'll actually carry the weight ergonomically and they usually have elastic ties so you can make the pack the right size for the stuff you are hauling.

If you're carrying more than 20% of your own weight, you should have wheels (google ergonomic backpacks).

Members don't see this ad :)
I vote against messenger bag - that's a terrible distribution of weight! All on one side!

I have a North Face bag and I'm not so pleased... the books always sag to the bottom and the zipper gets pulled open. I'd suggest a good outdoors/backpacker brand bag that has 2 big pockets to hold everything in better and in a more organized fashion. And one with a padded back and shoulders, cause you're gonna need 'em.

A girl in my Ochem class (foreign student) used one of those carry on luggage bags with wheels. The ones all the business people travel with. It was freakin awesome!!!

I totally advise that one, it will finish off the socially awkward pre-med look.

Find a lab group in the building where you have most of your classes. Volunteer to work 5 hours/week and stash your books there.

Put them in your car, your not going to study for everything in one day or have a normal book bag then a huge bag thats what I do but then again I am a girl and we are allow to carry an extra bag for our make-up. :)

call your mommy and tell her: "my books too heavy. help me mommy. pweeze."

Some stuff i did:

Carry the heaviest stuff (text books) under your arms

and pack the heaviest stuff in your book bag closest to your body

and pull your shoulder straps tight so the book bag doesn't sag

ok, so im getting into more upper division work in school and that requires me to stay on campus linger and study a lot more. to do that, i have to carry a lot of books, some snacks, and a laptop on occasion. so im wondering what kind of bookbag is the best at weight distribution. i hate having that "pre-med" look where your bookbag weighs as much as a 12 year old girl. so is there a bookbag that's slimming and or carries weight better than average?

My wallet weighs as much as a 12 year old girl. It doesn't bother me one bit.

Be nice and answer the question people. He asked for advice.

REI has a great backpack for carrying books/laptop. I think mine is a Kelty with a waist belt for support. O.K. yes I look like I am carrying around a small child, but it saves my back.

I think that Swiss Army company (somebody help me out with the name here), makes a great hybrid laptop bag that has space for books and a laptop.

I personally hate rolling backpacks because I like to have my hands free. One for a cup of coffee and one for my cell phone. Rolling backpacks can also dislocate your shoulder and cause elbow problems over time as well, so maybe keeping your books in the car is the best bet.

No messenger bag. You need a bookbad that evenly distributes the weight. I ended up in PT from carrying a messenger bag that was so heavy (well and form tennis). What % of your weight do they say your bookbag should be? Carry the heavy books under your arm or s/t.

I got an HP backpack that came with my computer, and it is the BEST backpack I have ever owned. It can hold ALL of my books, it's great! My old backpack would always tear or rip at the edges, but I've had my HP for 3 years now. I LOVE IT!

Good luck with your search!

i'm actually pretty happy with my north face bag. i think the only way that you can make your bag look slimmer is if it:
1) wont expand too far in the first place
2) has one of those side-clippy deals that let's you regulate how far the bag will expand.

In either case, the slimness of the front pocket is essential for the entire bag. It looks completely ridiculous to have a a full bag PLUS a little pouch that sticks out 2 inches further because you decided to stash your snacks there.

definitely no messenger bags. I always wondered why my back hurt walking around campus and I realized it was because I was constantly leaning to one side. Besides, if you're carrying all that around, it will look even more ridiculous to have a messenger bag. You'll chafe at your thigh/hip and you'll look like a mail carrier.

In either case, the slimness of the front pocket is essential for the entire bag. It looks completely ridiculous to have a a full bag PLUS a little pouch that sticks out 2 inches further because you decided to stash your snacks there.

You just described every time i went to the library :oops:

A bout with sciatica from racing up multiple flights of stairs wearing a too heavy backpack was enough to convince me that rolling packs were not longer uncool. Now I load up the one on wheels and carry the overflow on my back. It seems like all that's missing is my plane ticket.

Oh, and what kind of pocket protectors would you guys recommend?

get a locker on campus? lots of libraries have this.

Some stuff i did:

Carry the heaviest stuff (text books) under your arms

and pack the heaviest stuff in your book bag closest to your body

and pull your shoulder straps tight so the book bag doesn't sag

okay, wait. So where does the heaviest stuff go? Is it under your arms or in your book bag?

I just wrap an old belt around my textbooks ala 1955. No swanky bags/totes/rollercarts necessary.

premed: "Mommy, my books are waewy, weawy heavy. help mommy. what should i do? i wanna be a doctor like Izzy and Meredith, but the books are so heavy. By the way, how's your social life, or do you spend hours on SDN whining about your heavy books and don't have time for a social life?"

mean mommy: "Are you an idiot? shut up and study. stop whining about heavy books and get As or you'll never get into med school. heavy books have been around for centuries, particularly science books. Did I raise you to be a pathetic immature jerk who spends time swapping book bag stories?"

Nice mommy: "Oh honey, is my baby having trouble carrying her books? Oh, no. Mommy will send you a $1000 ergonomic, space age, book bag with really big wheels on it. Then I know you will get into med school. daddy and i love you oodles."

Normal mommy: "Honey, you have more important things to worry about than your books. I have confidence you can figure it out without my help."

premed: "Mommy, my books are waewy, weawy heavy. help mommy. what should i do? i wanna be a doctor like Izzy and Meredith, but the books are so heavy. By the way, how's your social life, or do you spend hours on SDN whining about your heavy books and don't have time for a social life?"

mean mommy: "Are you an idiot? shut up and study. stop whining about heavy books and get As or you'll never get into med school. heavy books have been around for centuries, particularly science books. Did I raise you to be a pathetic immature jerk who spends time swapping book bag stories?"

Nice mommy: "Oh honey, is my baby having trouble carrying her books? Oh, no. Mommy will send you a $1000 ergonomic, space age, book bag with really big wheels on it. Then I know you will get into med school. daddy and i love you oodles."

Normal mommy: "Honey, you have more important things to worry about than your books. I have confidence you can figure it out without my help."

no offense but what was the point of this?

if you have to ask, i've made my point.