Maybe a dumb question BUT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JumboShrimp

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is General chemistry the same as inorganic chemistry????? I was looking at admissions requirements and it said inorganic chem.

Members don't see this ad.

Inorganic = stuff without Carbon
Organic = stuff with Carbon

General = basic concepts. Includes both.

Is General chemistry the same as inorganic chemistry????? I was looking at admissions requirements and it said inorganic chem.

Yes, they mean general chemistry.

Members don't see this ad :)
In general, you can't really base anything off of the class name. Make sure that it will fulfill the general chemistry requirement required by medical schools. But, it should.

Isoprop is right. These are the same.

This is school-dependent. At my undergraduate institution, General Chemistry was not the same as Inorganic Chemistry. Inorganic Chemistry was a junior-level one semester course or a graduate-level one semester course without lab and General Chemistry (for science majors) was the two semester freshman-level course with lab. At some schools, these courses are equivalent. In general, medical schools require one year of freshman-level chemistry (for science majors) with lab. This course may be listed at Inorganic Chemistry or General Chemistry but it's the chemistry that is required.

Thank you alll for clearing it up!!!

yea there the same, just a fancier way of saying general chem

This is school-dependent. At my undergraduate institution, General Chemistry was not the same as Inorganic Chemistry. Inorganic Chemistry was a junior-level one semester course or a graduate-level one semester course without lab and General Chemistry (for science majors) was the two semester freshman-level course with lab. At some schools, these courses are equivalent. In general, medical schools require one year of freshman-level chemistry (for science majors) with lab. This course may be listed at Inorganic Chemistry or General Chemistry but it's the chemistry that is required.

:thumbup:

Same for me. Inorganic was an upper-level course, while introductory chemistry was the freshman level 2 semester course. It probably means just that they are calling Inorganic the same thing as Intro or General Chemistry.

I hate when general chemistry is referred to as inorganic chemistry. They are very different, and general chemistry isn't really a field, whereas inorganic is. However, when medical schools use the term inorganic chemistry they mean general chemistry.

In this case they probably mean general chemistry. However, in your chemistry department it won't be the same thing.