Maybe a stupid question - hospital affiliations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AMEHigh

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just realized that one of the residency programs that I applied to (and recently got an interview with), says that it's associated with a very good and well known medical school. On the residency programs website it states that faculty are appointment to "very good and well known medical school."

But when I go to the well known medical school's department webpage, it doesn't mention anything about the hospital where this residency program is. There is another residency program that also mentions being associated with the medical school.

I'm definitely not in to "big names" and am pretty much only applying to community programs, but I'm curious, what exactly does it mean and what are any benefits if a hospital/department says they're associated with a well-known medical school?

Members don't see this ad.

I just realized that one of the residency programs that I applied to (and recently got an interview with), says that it's associated with a very good and well known medical school. On the residency programs website it states that faculty are appointment to "very good and well known medical school."

But when I go to the well known medical school's department webpage, it doesn't mention anything about the hospital where this residency program is. There is another residency program that also mentions being associated with the medical school.

I'm definitely not in to "big names" and am pretty much only applying to community programs, but I'm curious, what exactly does it mean and what are any benefits if a hospital/department says they're associated with a well-known medical school?
Nothing and nothing. That affiliation is there to attract faculty and residents to the affiliated program but it will have no real impact on you as a trainee.

Reactions: 2 users
Ok that's what I thought, but didn't know if I was missing out on some info. Thanks!

Also likely means that you will see some med students from said school rotating through.
Who will either:
A. Be looking for a chill rotation and therefore less inclined to work.
B. Be condescending about the medicine practiced at "outside hospital".

Reactions: 1 users
Who will either:
A. Be looking for a chill rotation and therefore less inclined to work.
B. Be condescending about the medicine practiced at "outside hospital".

Well I am interested in academics/teaching, so I'll look at this as a positive thing if I were to go to this program. I don't do well with condescending though :p

Some hospitals have (some) attending physicians that are affiliated with the regional medical school, with adjunct appointments, etc., but have their own independent GME, etc. That's not very impressive or useful. ie. the VA where I went to school. Some hospitals have attending physicians that are all real faculty of the medical school and the hospital is part of the Harvard/Penn/Stanford Medical Center system. That's a different story and might open doors for better research, networking, etc. Residents may also rotate through several of the university hospitals for various rotations.
Figure out which situation it is.

Reactions: 1 users