Maybe a stupid question...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SnudgeMuffin

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody applying this year, is it possible to apply to some schools as just MD and others as MD/PhD? Or do you have to chose one and go all the way with one?? Thanx for answering my not-so-smart ;) question.

Members don't see this ad.

well, i'm not applying this year. but i know some people on this board are applying to MD/PhD and MD programs. so yes, i think it's possible to apply to both.

I guess I will know when I am applying and I am just being really annoying. But when you designate schools on your AMCAS app, do they ask you for each school whether you are applying there as just regular MD or MD/PhD??

Members don't see this ad :)
When you add a school to your application, there are checkboxes to choose which programs you apply into. You can choose more than one program - ie, MSTP, MD, any other crazy program the school might have, etc.

In addition, I would think if you just applied MSTP and you were rejected, you would probably still be considered for just and MD spot.

Yes, in most cases you are still considered. This is why it is a balancing act between looking interested in a combined program in your primary/secondary...but not looking like you absolutely must get into a combined program to go to that school.

Yes, it's actually how a lot of MD/PhD programs work. Many of them require that you get accepted to the MD school first, so in those cases it's required. But, another thing to note is that when you apply to one school they don't know where else or to what other programs you are applying. So, you can do whatever you want. As none said, you just have to find a balance between saying you want to do research medicine and pointing out your desire to spend time with patients.

Good luck,

Adam