1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Maybe I'm not cut out for med school; help!

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Dr. Josh, Jul 25, 2006.

1. Dr. Josh

Dr. Josh Guest

Pre-Medical
    I'm really in a desperate state. I'm stuck in this disastorous physics class for the summer along with a chem class and now I'm regretting I didn't drop it. I guess I made that decision after I somehow managed a 91 on my last physics test, the day before we had to drop. The class average was around a 65. But then again it doesn't much matter because it doesn't get curved (neither class curves). On top of this I'm taking them at a CC.

Now I just walked out of a physics test that I am 100% positive that I failed. I just can't handle this and I know med school will be like this so am I kidding myself? I was up until 6:30 AM writing a 30 page lab due today. I also had a physics and chem test today. I barely had time to study for them because the lab took me so long. None of it could be done much ahead of time because we learn so much on a daily basis plus we neeeded to do the labs in class before we could write up the paper.

Should I just apply to DO schools? Should I give up totally? I'm upset that going to a CC actually will totally bring down my already questionable GPA (3.4 overall and 3.5 science). I'm thinking I'll be lucky if I get out of these classes with a B and a C. What should I do? I already do nothing but homework this summer so it's not like I can put any more time into it. There isn't any more time unless I literally never go to bed. I'm already in class 9 hrs per day.

Maybe I'm just too stupid to handle this. :(

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. mintendo

5+ Year Member

Nobody said it was gonna be easy.

If you want it, you'll get it. :)

4. MinnyGophers

MinnyGophers Senior Member
    2+ Year Member

Post Doc
    You are not stupid. Physics and chem are difficult classes, and taking them together during the summer, which is even harder, is difficult to handle, CC or not CC.
    There isn't really anything you can do except try to pull through. Grades of B and C aren't the end of the world, and you can make up for them in other classes. 3.4 and 3.5 GPA are not bad at all, just take other science classes to make up for the C.

Good luck buddy! Don't give up. If you want to go to med school, you'll work hard no matter what.

5. ParvatiP

ParvatiP Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    If you got a 91 on the first test when the average was a 65, then you're obviously smart enough to do well in the class. Summer classes are harder than you'd think because they're so compressed. That you're struggling now doesn't necessarily mean you can't handle the material and shouldn't apply to med school. Look at the way you're studying and try to evaluate what you should study more or less. Now that you've had 2 exams, you can get a better hold on the types of questions you'll be asked and the material you need to know, and you should adapt your studying as needed. Don't give up just yet!
    Another thing, a lot of people (myself included) feel like they've bombed an exam right after. But you may be surprised when you get the grade, you never know. Good luck! :)

6. Dr. Josh

Dr. Josh Guest

Pre-Medical
    but med schools aren't going to care or even take that into consideration. I was stupid to do that (I just switched to pre-med very late in the process) and knew I had a lot of classes to make up. Orgo next semester has little chance of improving my science grades. :(

7. priya_ashwathy

priya_ashwathy New Member
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    dont worry too much about it. Try to give in your best because thats all you can do now, so I would say not to think abt the previous tests, just think abt your finals and do your best. I am sure you will be able to make it. RELAX AND BE PRACTICAL...there is not point in worring...Do wht you can and leave the rest.

8. MinnyGophers

2+ Year Member

Post Doc
    Yes, but what is done is done. What can you do? You still have orgo to make up for it, and don't forget you can still do a post-bac, like a lot of other people.
    It's never over until you give up. It's especially true for medical school where you will be accepted only when you are fully ready.

Just hang on and keep plowing through. :thumbup:

9. Dr. Josh

Dr. Josh Guest

Pre-Medical
    i already have to take orgo 2 as post bac; yea that should bring up my GPA. :scared: I just feel like I'm on a sinking ship and I'm drowning and I can't get off and even catch a breath.

10. strawberryfield

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    What I have found is that there are many times as a pre-med where you do seriously have to ask yourself if you are cut out for medicine and if all of the effort and work you put in to getting through the "hoops" you must jump through is worth your final goal to you-- if you always come to the conclusion of "yes" then you're still in the game. Hang in there, you've got a long road ahead and it will likely be riddled w/ self-doubt, especially in med school...you'll always be challenging yourself to the point of wondering if you can even make it, but ... you must overcome these things and keep pushing, one step at a time finding strength from wherever it is you can find it if it is worth it to you, you'll make it, but it won't ever be easy. :oops:

I say go for it, you'll know if it's the right path for you or not. Good luck :D

11. DrBowtie

DrBowtie Final Countdown
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    You're first problem is that you need to study for classes worth 3 hours more than you need to perfect your lab worth 1 hour.

There comes a time when you need to decide how to divide your time to get the most bang for your buck as they say. Sometimes you have to turn in less than your best work.

12. notdeadyet

notdeadyet Still in California
    Moderator 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Exactly. And don't take SDN too seriously. You find lots of folks around here with 3.9, 4.0 GPAs and they freak out if they pull anything less than an A. Don't be one of them.

Most med schools have an average science GPA of about 3.5 or so. This means that students received as many B's as they did A's.

Do your best, but take the punches as they come.

13. sentrosi

sentrosi INTARWEB USER
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I don't think DO schools are going to be much easier than MD schools if your worry is that you won't be able to handle the studying.

14. hermit

hermit Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I don't think the problem here is that you are dumb. The problem is you scheduled 2 hard classes concurrently over the summer.

15. mam4993

mam4993 Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    And y'know what, no physics classes in med school. And little chem. Do you love biology? Do well in your bio classes? Don't freak out! You are doing your best, and that's all you can do.

I'll tell you what I tell my boyfriend when he studies his butt off and still flunks a test (we're going on round three of algebra over here...). You learned the material. Maybe you bombed the test, but you learned the material. That is what is most important. That's the freaking point of college. Making good grades is of course important, but THE most important thing is to LEARN. If you've walked away from your physics test feeling like you did terribly but still understand the concepts then DO NOT feel like a failure. All you can do is your best, and if you are LEARNING you are doing your best.

I have a feeling that advice won't go over very well with the grade obsessed SDN'ers, but sometimes that little bit of consolation helps. The point of college should be to learn and expand your mind, not to graduate with a 4.0! And maybe you're thinking "Well, fat lot of good learning without good grades will do me," but it always helps me personally to remember that GPA isn't the defining factor in my existence. What I learn and what I do with that knowledge is always more important.

16. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    That's not exactly true. A lot of physiology is basically physics (circulatory and respiratory systems, in particular). And a fair amount of acid base type stuff (chem). It's really just the bio (prereqs, plants, not advanced courses) that never comes up again.

To the OP -- relax and see what you can do to salvage your grade. In the worst case scenario, you can always do a postbac and retake stuff later on. The world hasn't ended quite yet. I doubt you are stupid, but assure you that even if you are, there are stupid people that have bumbled there way through med school, once they got past the prereqs.

17. JRRSEhope

JRRSEhope SecondChanceDoc.com
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hey Dr. Josh, you can do this!

I didn't take Physics during the summer, but during the year. Hated every single second of it. I used to kid the prof that he was speaking Japanese and I was hearing in Mandarine. I'd read my notes after class and have not the faintest idea what it meant. I'd leave tests positive I was flunking the entire course. I ended with Bs all year (quarter system).

At an interview (for med school) last year, the recruiter asked me about Physics - I told him that, in my opinion, Physics needed to be dropped in the deepest part of the ocean and tortured to death. He just laughed, said don't sweat it, MOST of the premed folks he interviewed dislike Physics intensely, and they still got in to med school.

That being said, I think you'll be amazed when you go to study Physics and Chem for the MCAT. Actually I disliked both classes (although I really enjoyed Ochem), but ended up understanding way more than I thought I would of the review material, and actually ended up doing okay on the MCAT last April.

So - take a deep breath, :love: ...realize that this stuff isn't your favorite, that there are many others like you, and all you have to do is survive til the end of summer. You can do this! And when you get really discouraged, just remember your dream of being a doctor. There's a reason, deep in your heart, that you decided to go for this incredible thing. Hang onto that reason, whatever it is. You'll make it!

18. MD-To Be

MD-To Be Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

If you really to go all the way this willn't stop you.

19. Dr.TobiasFünke

Physician 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I was a doctor once, psychiatry actually. losing my licence made me realize my true passion... acting.

20. MinnyGophers

2+ Year Member

Post Doc
    As long as you are learning the material, you'll be fine. If your GPA isn't excellent, you can make up for it with your MCATs. That is why getting something out of these classes is important.
    No one can tell you if you are cut out or not for med school, but all I know is, even if it takes 17 reapplications, you can always better yourself.

21. Darth Asclepius

Darth Asclepius Dark Lord of the Sith
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    This is excellent advice. Don't invest too much time in the lab. Do enough to get by and focus on the other classes. You have to learn when to cut your losses. You can't always do everything (something that you'll run into a lot in med school). Figure out what's most important and the best use of your time.

If you failed the test, suck it up and move on. Talk to the professor if you want, but it's not the end of the world. I failed a test in undergrad. Two actually, one biochem for majors and one pchem, and I had studied my ass off for them. It sucked a lot, but with the curve (they had to curve because the class average for both was below failing) it turned out okay. Learn how to take the punch and keep going. A lot of people have failed a test at some point (either undergrad or med school). It's not the end of the world. Chalk it up to experience and get back to work.

22. medanthgirl

medanthgirl Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

please don't be too hard on yourself - take a deep breath and try to see how you could have maybe kept up that momentum you had in the first half. if you make mistakes right now, just learn from them and try not to repeat them. and don't panic ahead to stuff years from now, otherwise you will write your own conclusion now. the key is to be in the moment right now, with the task at hand. :luck:

23. NYMC MD 2B

NYMC MD 2B Member
    2+ Year Member

I don't want to be hard on you...especially since I remember having a similar crisis once every quarter since my freshmen year of high school. The reality is, medical school (including the preparation for it) is not easy. Not everyone can do it. Not everyone will make the cut, and that is just the way it is. You have to keep plugging along and do the best you can. If you pull up your GPA and rock the MCAT, great! you will get into MD school. IF you continue to struggle and end up doing poorly, it does not mean you are stupid. It just means you do not have the aptitude for medicine. There is nothing wrong with that and you will certainly find your true calling. No use stressing over things you cant change. That is one thing I have learned from the whole application process.

24. Dr. Josh

Dr. Josh Guest

Pre-Medical
    wait, does everyone get separate grades for lab and lecture? mine are all combined into one 4 credit grade. how in the world di I take 8 credits in one summer session? :thumbdown:

25. jackieMD2007

jackieMD2007 ***MVI***
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Um, maybe you're having a panic attack. It's okay. Physics is ridiculous. This doesn't mean that you are going to be an awful doctor. It means you need a break and a drink. And not to schedule yourself so crazy next time. There are no bonus points for taking the pre-reqs at the same time, no transcript gold stars. Hang in there.

26. Dr. Josh

Dr. Josh Guest

Pre-Medical
    read the ratings on my prof: http://www.ratemyprofessors.com/ShowRatings.jsp?tid=425397 you'll realize you can't talk to the guy and also he doesn't curve despite the fact that most of the class ends up with Ds and Fs. My chem prof doesn't curve either and although i'm doing a lot better than most, I won't get better than a B.

27. ADeadLois

ADeadLois Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Also, keep in mind that a good MCAT score will show that you do indeed understand the material. You have plenty of time to prepare for that, so do the best you can now and you'll be fine.

28. Dr. Josh

Dr. Josh Guest

Pre-Medical
    everyone keeps saying a good MCAT makes up for lower GPAs; what if I don't get a good MCAT? It's totally psyching me out already. I also don't know when to take it because I'm going to have a tough spring semester and then i have to take orgo 2 over the summer; when can I get to study for the MCAT?

29. ADeadLois

ADeadLois Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Why do you keep doubting yourself? I decided to take a year off because I felt too overwhelmed with pre-reqs during my sophomore year, and it was, without a doubt, one of the best decisions I ever made. Maybe you should think about that. (I'm referring to taking a year off after you graduate).

30. Dr. Josh

Dr. Josh Guest

Pre-Medical
    actually the 91 was my second test; I got an 81 on the first one. I only did slightly better on those than i expected; I didn't feel the way after those as i did after this one. I'm sure I failed it. I guess why I'm feeling I won't be able to handle med school is that I'm working non-stop on these two courses and with this amount of work; I'd expect to get As and since I'm not I can only deduce that I'm stupid. Also I'm questioning whether I should apply to med school is because i feel like I'm blowing my chance. :(

31. Dr. Josh

Dr. Josh Guest

Pre-Medical
    I ALREADY AM taking a year off. This is the summer before my senior year and I haven't even completed my med school pre-reqs because i just decided on med school last semester. Now I'm trying to cram them all in.

32. 63768

63768 Guest
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    dude, dr. josh. calm down. you're taking a year off, and you can take more. i know you don't want to but if it happens you have to be prepared to. graduate with your degree and come back for your prereqs. once you graduate you have so many options. don't sell yourself short by getting stressed out over this.

you will be fine. keep your eye on the prize and the big picture and any cost you have endure will be worth it.

33. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper Duffman in Disguise
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'm ambivalent about your avatar.

On one hand, I love to see Stewie's brilliant, flattened head.

On the other hand, seeing as you have a new avatar, I know that Stewie's mission is finally complete. :D
    -Dr. P.

P.S.: To Dr. Josh: Calm down and try your best. Things will work out in the end.

34. MinnyGophers

2+ Year Member

Post Doc
    Josh, what you need to do is to stop whining and chill out. So what if you don't make the grades for those two classes? So what if you have to spend more years in undergrad than you want to? You should have realized that you would have to since you switched to pre-med not long ago.
    A few bad grades won't kill you. If you really want to go to med school, you'll take classes until you are truly ready. You need to stop doubting yourself, and just get to work. If you pull 80-90s in exams that everyone else fail, that should tell you something about your intelligence and abilities.

If you don't even believe in yourself, it's shot.

35. ADeadLois

ADeadLois Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Stewie's mission has gone underground for the time being. I think the SN should be enough until he comes out of hiding.

Actually, I stumbled upon the new avatar and had to add it. It captures my favorite scene from "The Office" so perfectly; I couldn't resist.

36. coralfangs

coralfangs Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

one failed test is not the end of the world especially when u were doing so much better than the rest of the class
    just chillax and continue ur studying

i used to worry a lot like u after i ****ed up some tests, but then i realize that worryin wont help me with anything
    so everytime i **** up a test or assignment, i just go for a drive, have a shot of baileys and a cig, then i head back to my other assignments and ****

ps: i got 32% on my 2nd test for orgoI (it was too late to drop) and the class average was 70%, so i studied my asssss off and managed to pull an A-, that's becuz u still have ur mother****ing exam =)
    so dooooooon't worry

37. Skaterbabe74

Skaterbabe74 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

FWIW I walked out of many of my physics exams thinking I failed it and I never ended up with below a mid-C on any of them. But if you did end up failing the exam don't stress about it. You got a B on the first exam, an A on the second, you're well on your way to at least a B if you blow off the lab a lil bit and actually study some for your exams. And g*d forbid you actually end up with a C in physics so what - one C isn't going to doom you (even from a CC). Summer classes are hard. Summer prereqs are even harder. Just keep working at it and do your best. Not doing great in one of the prereqs doesn't mean you aren't cut out to be a doctor. For many people, med school is easier than undergrad - yes it's more study time, but the concepts aren't hard, and you generally have to go to lecture less (and don't have labs really other than gross). Wait to see how everything pans out before you start making doomsday judgements on your future (be it no med school at all, or only applying to DO, or whatever). You may be surprised at how things end up turning out.

38. docdiva22

docdiva22 Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I know exactly what you mean. I felt like crap and a failure when i dropped out of ochem during the summer after 2 weeks cuz i compleletly bombed my first test, but the problem was...ochem is hard anyway and taking it during the summer is even harder.

I also recently dropped my gchem class in which i was driving 84 miles one way for the class and the class went from 1pm-815pm M-Thurs. I had no time to study and on top of that the professor sucked a lot and didnt knwo how to teach. The class average for every test was either a D or F and he said he wouldnt curve. So i figured...drop the damn thing and take it during the regular year with a school closer to home and a better teacher.

I felt like crap when i did that too...but my advice from experience...don't take chem classes during summer...or any science, except something like micro or anatomy or physio which are much more doable than physics, chem or ochem.

Don't worry.

39. docdiva22

docdiva22 Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Also...about grades. I got several C's and i thought that's it..i'm done..bye bye dream of becoming a doctor since i could walk. But chilllllllllllllll. I have come ot realize that med school isn't all about grades. You have to have the passion, determination and drive for it. People arent perfect and doctors arent perfect either...after all they are people. It doesn't mean if you don't have a 3.5 or above cumm that ur going to be 1) a sucky ass doctro or 2) not even become a doctor. You are human not a computer. Life happens. Some of the best doctors are the ones that aren't genius' and have gotten more than a few C's.

40. Darth Asclepius

Darth Asclepius Dark Lord of the Sith
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    You can still get in med school with a couple of bad grades if your other grades are excellent. Freaking out about it isn't going to help. You could spend that energy studying. Besides, getting stressed is more likely to make you do worse and certainly isn't going to help. Try to relax. Maybe take a day off and give your brain a rest, then get back to work full speed ahead the next day. If this is an isolated incident, you'll be fine. If this becomes a pattern, you'll have to figure out what's wrong and how you can fix it before your GPA drops too much. It sounds like you just got in over your head this summer. Do what you can with it and put it behind you.

41. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member

Attending Physician
    A good MCAT does not make up for bad grades - the "which is better" threads on SDN are mostly exercises in futility and to be taken with a grain of salt. With tens of thousands of applicants out there, a bad anything can be a problem -- You can have a very good MCAT and still not get accepted anywhere, and you can have decent but not great stats and get in everywhere. Adcoms look at the whole package - it's not purely a numerical system. So you need to do the best you can on everything (including the non-numerical stuff).
    As others have suggested, there is no timeline here -- if it takes you longer, it takes you longer. They don't give out med school admissions for free, you have to earn it, through the prereqs, MCAT, and other aspects of your app. If it's something you really want, you will dust yourself off, regroup, and keep giving those courses a shot. I assure you that whenever you go to med school, thanks to nontrads, you will not be close to the oldest. Good luck and chill.

42. NYMC MD 2B

NYMC MD 2B Member
    2+ Year Member

Have you been accepted to med school? If so, where? The only reason I ask is the if you really got "several Cs" you must have something else remarkable going for you. The reality is, you need good grades to get into med school. A blemish or two on your transcript probably will not knock you out of the running (except maybe at top tier), but "several" will look very suspicious. Not everyone makes the cut (in fact, less than 50%), so it seems unlikely to me that someone with weak grades will outcompete the abundance of applicants with near perfect records.

43. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member

Attending Physician
    You can totally have several C's as long as you still have mostly A's. The fact that the average GPA is a 3.5, and that everyone knows someone who squeaked in someplace with a 3.3 or less means that folks get below A's here and there and still get into med school. There are even folks in med school who did worse than a C and had to retake stuff. A near perfect numerical record doesn't make a near perfect applicant. It usually helps you get past the initial cut, but other stuff is required to carry the day.

44. Dr. Josh

Dr. Josh Guest

Pre-Medical
    everyone tried to warn me and i was too stubborn or stupid to listen, now I'm paying for it in more ways than i want to realize :(

and wow driving 84 miles totally sucks, I'm gone from home more than 10 hrs a day for classes and my commute isn't far. And to think I was all set to get a part time job on top of school; was I totally nuts?? ok don't answer that.

45. Dr. Josh

Dr. Josh Guest

Pre-Medical
    I have no idea how I pulled an 87 on that test. I'm in total shock. Keep in mind, I am not one of those gunners who cries "I failed" and then does well. I was absolutely certain I failed.

46. Skaterbabe74

Skaterbabe74 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Trust me neither am i, but in physics especially partial credit goes a long way. So stop worrying.. You'll be fine. If I walked out of every exam that I thought I'd failed thinking that was the end of my med school dreams I'd be in a loony bin by now lol. Just roll with the punches. Be afraid you failed for the day or few days it takes for the prof to grade the thing but remember that even if you did fail it it's not the end of the world. Failing one exam in a semester does not mean the end of med school. If you do it a lot it might mean having to work that much more to get in, but even then it's not the end. of the world.

47. Dr. Josh

Dr. Josh Guest

Pre-Medical
    Well several people made comments to me such as:

"If you can't get an A in an intro course, drop it, you'll never get accepted to med school." (this was a professor who said this to me.)

"Everyone gets As at CCs. Anything less makes you look really dumb and it will really hurt you in med school admissions." I can't tell you how many people who made similar comments to me. It's no wonder I'm paranoid about these classes.

48. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member

Attending Physician
    Perhaps that is why he is a professor at a community college rather than a physician. :)

49. Psycho Doctor

Psycho Doctor *** Angel
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    :laugh: :laugh: