Maybe i'm not fit to be premed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Road2Success

Village drunk
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just finished up my final examination for plant biology. I was kinda disappointed as the professor said i'm 7 points above a C grade in the class. I need a 65% on the final exam to get a C but i'm not sure I got that. I kinda struggled and didn't study enough for the final. I don't know what happened I was scoring B's on the exam with minimal studying then last two tests I got under a 50%. I feel really disappointed and depressed as I don't want to take the class again. I blame my impulses as I get highly distracted and spent my time doing other stuff rather than studying. I hope I get a 65% + but that's a long shot to be honest. I don't think i'm under average or a slow learner. I just don't get serious about thing until the last minute. Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Realize you won't achieve what you want unless you make changes and do better. It's sounds like you are capable, but letting your dreams slip away. Are you really going to let that happen or will you stand up and do something about it?

Realize you won't achieve what you want unless you make changes and do better. It's sounds like you are capable, but letting your dreams slip away. Are you really going to let that happen or will you stand up and do something about it?

I'm trying its just harder than i expected. I can't sit down and study for a hour or do a long study session. I just can't seem to stop texting or game online. I don't know why it sucks. I really wish I had the will power to pull a A.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm trying its just harder than i expected. I can't sit down and study for a hour or do a long study session. I just can't seem to stop texting or game online. I don't know why it sucks. I really wish I had the will power to pull a A.

It may sound stupid, but when you are tempted to get distracted watch some motivational videos on youtube to actually motivate you to work.

Also, I don't know anyone else who can do this, but I listen to my Ipod while I study. It helps me stay focused.

I'm going through the same thing here with my Biology course. This entire quarter is just plants and let me tell you it's the hardest class I've taken yet. Maybe your lack of interest in the subject is making it so hard to study? Even so, in the future we will get these kinds of classes where we are not the slightest bit interested and we still must succeed so:

I failed a biology quiz the other week so what I have done differently is that I now have a digital clock at my desk, print all the slides from the chapters and keep them in a notebook, and then turn off my computer AND phone and keep them on my couch. I figure that if anyone needs to get ahold of me they can call the house phone, or if you don't have this option turn off the text tone and leave your phone in the other room so you can hear it if it rings. If you absolutley MUST use your computer for typing notes, etc then turn off your wifi, and last case scenario if you absolutley must use the internet then take a ten minute break every hour.

I only have to go through all this effort with this one plant biology class, and I do feel your pain. Don't let this one class get you down, you got this! (Half telling myself ;) )

ps I'm just assuming you hate plant biology as much as I do, but I realize thats a huge assumption. Forgive me if it's your favorite subject.

What works for me is to study at school on the quiet floor. The atmosphere really helps and gaming would be socially unacceptable. It works for me.

Don't feel bad, it's ****ing plants. :laugh:

I'm going through the same thing here with my Biology course. This entire quarter is just plants and let me tell you it's the hardest class I've taken yet. Maybe your lack of interest in the subject is making it so hard to study? Even so, in the future we will get these kinds of classes where we are not the slightest bit interested and we still must succeed so:

I failed a biology quiz the other week so what I have done differently is that I now have a digital clock at my desk, print all the slides from the chapters and keep them in a notebook, and then turn off my computer AND phone and keep them on my couch. I figure that if anyone needs to get ahold of me they can call the house phone, or if you don't have this option turn off the text tone and leave your phone in the other room so you can hear it if it rings. If you absolutley MUST use your computer for typing notes, etc then turn off your wifi, and last case scenario if you absolutley must use the internet then take a ten minute break every hour.

I only have to go through all this effort with this one plant biology class, and I do feel your pain. Don't let this one class get you down, you got this! (Half telling myself ;) )

ps I'm just assuming you hate plant biology as much as I do, but I realize thats a huge assumption. Forgive me if it's your favorite subject.
You just summarized all my frustration in the course. Yeah maybe it was the fact that I disliked plants and everything to do with them. I mean it's not going to be on the mcat or needed on the job. I didn't have any motivation at all to get through that course. I mean learning all that useless vocab and the detail oriented processes.

You just summarized all my frustration in the course. Yeah maybe it was the fact that I disliked plants and everything to do with them. I mean it's not going to be on the mcat or needed on the job. I didn't have any motivation at all to get through that course. I mean learning all that useless vocab and the detail oriented processes.

Exactly!!! I'm actually doing a bio report right now on these different plants we "dissected" and observed in lab and it's like pulling out my own teeth. Don't let this get you down, you will be okay and can do this! Keep going and don't think that because you hate studying plants that it gives any kind of indication as to your capabilities as a pre-med and hopefully eventually a medical student. HOWEVER, and I tell myself this daily, we will encounter other classes like this in the future where we hate the subject content and we must figure out a way to bite the bullet and just do it and do well. But live and let learn, right? You will be okay :)

I had a giant self-analysis/motivational post about how you need to get right and go get those grades so you can be the best you can be. Then I realized... frankly I don't care. And guess what? Neither does whomever you were texting (Ohhh its who? ...still don't care. really.), or how the people that make the games you play don't care if you never get in to med school. Guess who is the only person who can care enough to do something about getting you into med school? If you want to get in, you'll turn all of that crap off, go study like you need to, and exercise like crazy to handle the stress. Most 3.8+ bio majors like myself and my gf exercise daily, religiously. I just took 16 credit hours of all junior level biology classes, ecology included. I hated that one the most.. guess what I got in it? 4.0 this semester. Not liking a class is NOT an excuse. If you want to be a psychology major or business administration, or one of the 5 out of 7 biology majors that never make it into med school as they originally intended simply continue to play those games/text, don't study, and don't exercise.

Last edited:
It may sound stupid, but when you are tempted to get distracted watch some motivational videos on youtube to actually motivate you to work.

Also, I don't know anyone else who can do this, but I listen to my Ipod while I study. It helps me stay focused.

I second this :thumbup:

OP, It all comes down to how much you really want something... maybe you don't want it enough. I also just finished plant biology and although I didn't like it as much, I knew it was a necessary step forward in this journey. In the end, I am so glad I got to learn the everything I did in the class, but again... I like learning different things. I feel also that you gotta learn how to enjoy learning, after all as a physician you will continue learning.....

- block all distraction websites on your internet browser. have someone ELSE set this up for you, so you don't know how to uninstall.

or: library, no phone, no computer.

So I just finished up my final examination for plant biology. I was kinda disappointed as the professor said i'm 7 points above a C grade in the class. I need a 65% on the final exam to get a C but i'm not sure I got that. I kinda struggled and didn't study enough for the final. I don't know what happened I was scoring B's on the exam with minimal studying then last two tests I got under a 50%. I feel really disappointed and depressed as I don't want to take the class again. I blame my impulses as I get highly distracted and spent my time doing other stuff rather than studying. I hope I get a 65% + but that's a long shot to be honest. I don't think i'm under average or a slow learner. I just don't get serious about thing until the last minute. Any advice?

If you work hard and keep your eyes steadfastly set on the future, nothing will stop you from achieving your dreams.

I don't think i'm under average or a slow learner. I just don't get serious about thing until the last minute. Any advice?

You learn from mistakes. Let me restate that: you HAVE TO learn from mistakes. Will you ever let this happen again? You know you are capable of doing much better. Ask yourself how much you really want it. Is what you are doing helping you to achieve your goal? Ask yourself that question everyday. Don't give yourself any excuse, because it doesn't really help you in anyway to justify your failure.

You can do it.

OP in your previous posts you try to act like studying is not a big deal. You complain that you can't make it. If you actually put forth the effort (aka more than "minimal effort") and studied regularly, you wouldn't be in this situation. I'm not trying to be mean, but put away the distractions. Which is more important, fun little distractions now or a life time career of being a doctor? Regardless, good luck OP I hope things turn out well for you.:)

First off, it's plant biology. Don't sweat it.

Second, you need to put in the time. You didn't study enough for the final, and I bet you, that's probably half of the problem. A couple bad grades won't kill you, but as we move into summer term, now would be a good time to look back at your study habits and see if there are things you could have, or should have done. If you find yourself becoming truly depressed by your classes, talk to a counselor and see if they can help you with stress management or something

+1 :thumbup:

I have this problem too. There is an easy solution that worked for me: I stopped taking my iPod, phone, and laptop to the library for my study sessions. I also set aside time for studying, say 5-8pm is only schoolwork. So for that 3 hours a day no reddit, SDN, phone, facebook, games.

Frankly this will only get worse once you get into medical school. Poor performance in undergrad almost certainly means that you're not going to be one of the superstars in medical school that's able to cram for tests the two days before an exam. In other words, you need to either 1) figure out a way to motivate yourself and improve your work ethic, or 2) find another career.