Maybe one of you can help me with a diagnosis?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

masterMood

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a high school senior and my left ankle tends to roll in a lot when I play a lot of vigorous activities.

its been happening forl ike 5 years only on the left ankle (i'm left handed but my right leg is my dominant leg so i guess that one is strong) .

it would happen a lot when I used to play tennis in 7th and 8th grade, and I would usually let the ankle heal for a couple of days before doing anything strenuous.

however, about 4 weeks ago, i rolled my ankle really hard on a hard, wood gym floor, and it hurt MUCH MORE this time.

for the rest of that day it was difficult to walk on that foot because the pain was too unbearable.

i applied some ice later on in the day, and i didn't do anything major except walk (which is necessary).

of course the left ankle was swollen, but usually it goes back to normal size after 3-4 days.

however been a month now, and the left ankle which looks much bigger than the right one, it feels weak, painful and tender in certain areas, and I don't think its swollen. instead, I think the ankle bone is displaced so that it looks like it is swollen, but there is no swelling?

what can any of you tell me of this? should I go see a doctor?

Members don't see this ad.

I'd see a real doctor.

Go see a doctor and quit stressing your ankle with physical activity in the meantime.

Members don't see this ad :)
At least ask this on the ortho residency board, they would know more than we would.

You don't have to be an orthopod or EM to know the Ottawa ankle rules. I agree with everyone else, see a doctor.

I'd pull a Friday night lights stunt and test it out in a full court Bball game...see if you can roll it again.......seriously i would get a mri or something......in the mean time RICE (Rest,Ice, Compression and Elevation)

Sounds like a ligament tear, but go see your family prectice doc. REcurrent ankle sprains are common for many reasons, mainly because your foot is prone to this event and your muscles need to be rehabed in order to protect the ankle. I know this is the allo forum, but being an osteopath I would get x-rays and then after the ligament has healed: reset the taluz on the mortis, fis the ipsi post. radial head, treat the ipsi posterior 3rd rib, milk the peroneal muscles, and PRICE.

go see an orthopod. unfortunately, many fp's won't treat you aggressively enough. and stay off your feet for now.

Hermit MMood said:
I'm a high school senior and my left ankle tends to roll in a lot when I play a lot of vigorous activities.

its been happening forl ike 5 years only on the left ankle (i'm left handed but my right leg is my dominant leg so i guess that one is strong) .

it would happen a lot when I used to play tennis in 7th and 8th grade, and I would usually let the ankle heal for a couple of days before doing anything strenuous.

however, about 4 weeks ago, i rolled my ankle really hard on a hard, wood gym floor, and it hurt MUCH MORE this time.

for the rest of that day it was difficult to walk on that foot because the pain was too unbearable.

i applied some ice later on in the day, and i didn't do anything major except walk (which is necessary).

of course the left ankle was swollen, but usually it goes back to normal size after 3-4 days.

however been a month now, and the left ankle which looks much bigger than the right one, it feels weak, painful and tender in certain areas, and I don't think its swollen. instead, I think the ankle bone is displaced so that it looks like it is swollen, but there is no swelling?

what can any of you tell me of this? should I go see a doctor?

use glyconutritionals with empact and sport.
http://www.mannapages.com/foryourlife and http://www.glycoinformation.info

i'm not in med school yet, but this looks like a classical presentation of testicular torsion to me. unfortunately 4 weeks in it doesn't seem likely they'll be able to save it.

stoic said:
i'm not in med school yet, but this looks like a classical presentation of testicular torsion to me. unfortunately 4 weeks in it doesn't seem likely they'll be able to save it.

I've heard of being low hung, but WOW :smuggrin:

tru-wellness said:

Nutritional support for a possible ligamentous injury or fracture... hm even ND's should carry malpractice insurance. As I said above, Ottawa Ankle Rules. If the pt can not bear weight after the injury when in the ED = get X-ray. If there is tenderness when pushing on either of the malleoli = x-ray. If there is instability in the joint = X-ray. If there is point tenderness over either the proximal fifth metatarsal or the navicular bone = x-ray.

this thing is hurting and interfering with this person's life several weeks later it should be looked into. With that said a bad sprain can hand around for many weeks.