Maybe you can help me.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Combatbarbie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is my deal, Ive been jumping around from, military to horse racing, to entertainment. Now that I'm settling down and starting a family I want to re visit my dream of being a doctor. What I really want to do is be a vet, however I know I wont make it in that highly competitive race. What I'm thinking my best option would be is to go to a Caribbean medical school. I have little of my pre med done. Which looks like it isn't a problem down there seeing they have a 3 year pre med program. Anyone have any suggestions about Caribbean schools and their pre med program? Maybe even ideas about my situation??? The help would be GREAT.

Members don't see this ad.

Here is my deal, Ive been jumping around from, military to horse racing, to entertainment. Now that I'm settling down and starting a family I want to re visit my dream of being a doctor. What I really want to do is be a vet, however I know I wont make it in that highly competitive race. What I'm thinking my best option would be is to go to a Caribbean medical school. I have little of my pre med done. Which looks like it isn't a problem down there seeing they have a 3 year pre med program. Anyone have any suggestions about Caribbean schools and their pre med program? Maybe even ideas about my situation??? The help would be GREAT.

You'd get better advice if you give details (GPA, MCAT, ECs, state of residency, etc.). Other than that your first best bet is to book a meeting with your ugrad pre-med advisor.

Plus, I think if Vet school is what you want you should consider carefully whether that option is truly out of reach for you. I used to work at a research lab at a vet school and I saw many non-trad applicants come through our lab with less than stellar numbers and eventually matriculate to vet school. Another thing I know about vet schools is being a reapplicant doesn't have the stigma that it does with many med schools. They routinely keep an eye on their reapplicants and give them advice about what to change to improve their application. Two techs in my lab got into our vet school, both were third time reapplicants.

Last edited:
you're going to become a doctor because it's EASIER than being a vet..?

Members don't see this ad :)
also, why would you enroll in a FOUR YEARS of school in the CARIBBEAN when you're "settling down & starting a family"??

I'm not saying medical school is easier, I'm saying I think I stand a better chance of getting into a medical school then I do a vet school.

there are carib vet schools

Its more like 6 years with the pre med. Because that's what I consider settling down.

Yes, however you must finish your last year in the US. I don't know if I want to take the chance of not making it.

Don't have children in med school. That is just a whole bunch of avoidable stress & exhaustion, on top of the ludicrous amount of each you will already be suffering.

My husband is a stay at home dad. We are expecting our first this May.

But I agree I wont have another till I'm done. Unless I really think I can do it.

I think if Vet school is what you want you should consider carefully whether that option is truly out of reach for you.

I agree, if you want to be a vet, why become an MD? I assume there are no analogous Caribbean vet schools so you see this as a "loophole" not available to veterinary students, but I wouldn't recommend going that route. Granted, I don't know for a fact how much more or less competitive med and vet schools are relative to each other, but I do know one can definitely work their way towards a US med school acceptance even if they have a lot to work against, so I'd think it could be done with vet school. Know what makes a DVM candidate super competitive and do your best to approach that. And repeat my pre-med/pre-vet version of the AA prayer:

Oh Good and Noodly Lord,
Grant us the serenity to accept the things we cannot change (past grades), the courage to change the things we can (most everything else), and grant Adcoms the wisdom to know the difference. :p

The reason its not a big deal if I go MD or DVM is either way I'm going back into the military. And either way I can go work for some hospital as a MD or take over my dads practice as a DVM.

Members don't see this ad :)
so you're actually not really passionate about either..?

The reason its not a big deal if I go MD or DVM is either way I'm going back into the military. And either way I can go work for some hospital as a MD or take over my dads practice as a DVM.

OK, I guess I understand a little better. Either path seems like a great choice. Try searching the forums for info on the different caribbean schools. I'd also like to say that you're very lucky to have a husband who's able to stay at home with your future child (congrats!) so that the prospect of a somewhat drawn-out process is a little more manageable.

I'm passionate about getting a higher degree and making it high in the ranks of the military.

I'm passionate about getting a higher degree and making it high in the ranks of the military.

If that's the case why not go the dentistry route? My military recruiter says that dentists are in the highest demand right now, more than MDs, DOs, or DVMs.

No thank you, That is something that I just have NO interest in what so ever.

Demand in the military just means if you get a sign on bonus or not.

Im sorry but there are better ways to gain ranks in the military than spending years at school for somthing you are not passionate about. Passionate about higher education is not the same as Passionate about medicine.

Im sorry but there are better ways to gain ranks in the military than spending years at school for somthing you are not passionate about. Passionate about higher education is not the same as Passionate about medicine.

:thumbup:
I would have a hard time swallowing the many tough years ahead of me if I didn't feel like medicine was my passion in life.

Thanks for the advice but medicine was always a HUGE interest (it be in animals or people), I'm just being frank/realistic about it. I don't know how much you know about the military, but I'm prior service so I have a decent idea about what works.

The passion has died a bit for me because the fear of not making it is so over whelming. I become pretty realistic over the years. Hence why dreams die ):

1)What about the USUHS? Their average MCAT < 30 and average GPA is 3.5. Plus your prior military background would help in your application process. Most people shy away from it because of the 7 year active duty repayment, but that won't be an issue with you.

2)And since you seem set on the human doctor route are you opposed to DO?

Just trying to through as many options your way as I can think of. Cause caribbean medical schools while perfectly legitimate have their share of downsides (as any of the numerous SDN forums can tell you).

Last edited: