maybe you guys can clear this up for me...

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by ubigal, Feb 27, 2002.

1. ubigal

ubigal Junior Member

OK, I posted this on another board. But this one might be a better board to post it on. Here it goes...My friends and I are debating about this. Please help me win this bet. When you apply to residency programs are you required to tell them if you have a mental illness or physical disability/condition? For example, if you are HIV or Hep positive, do you have to tell them, or does everyone have a blood test before they start? I know for medical school you have to show that you are not hep + and/or have received the vaccinations before beginning clinical rotations.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Hypersomniac

Hypersomniac Junior Member

I'm sure not all residencies require this info at the time you apply or even after interviews. But I'm definitely sure those questions will be asked and yes, a full set of tests will be done on your blood (including HIV and Hep profile) on your pre-employment PE after you sign your contract.
    Does this make you win the bet?

4. NuMD97

NuMD97 Senior Member

Excuse me, but HIV is NOT tested at all institutions prior to starting a residency program.

5. ubigal

ubigal Junior Member

Um... not sure if I'm gonna win this bet after the last post. My money is on the fact that you do get tested for everything -- just think of the liability of the institution if you don't get tested.

But its funny -- in trying to find answers for this question, all I could find about residency requirements were "USMLE" this and that but nothing about the actual physical health/requirements and or tests of the applicant. Are they afraid of discrimination so they just don't mention it?

Medical students are like everyone else -- some have physical and/or mental illnesses, don't they? We're not invincible.

6. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Attending Physician
    Other than testing for TB, we were NOT tested for Hep or HIV. We were required to show that we had completed the Hep B series or start it before employment.

7. UCMonkey

UCMonkey Senior Member

I'm just applying to med school now, but I know that med schools require you to have had certain immunizations (hep being one of them) and be tested for TB, so I imagine they would probably be safe in assuming that since you came from a med school (in the US at least, I don't know about FMG's) then you have had the above tests / shots.

Also, with regard to HIV, isn't there a big legal / consent issue involved in testing people?