Mayo anyone?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Chadleez1, Oct 29, 2001.

1. Chadleez1

Chadleez1 Senior Member

I'm just wondering if anyone else here in looking at Mayo? I haven't heard it spoken of much around school, and I was wondering if anyone here was.

Thanks!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DrSuga

DrSuga Senior Member

see the "Rejections" post...that might explain some things about Mayo. i know some people had phone interviews with them a while back, but i dont know what happened after that...sorry.

4. Dylann FMD

Dylann FMD Senior Member

From the interview board, it appears as if I am the only one on here that has gotten an on-site interview from Mayo thus far. They started to do phone interviews and request letters of recommendation about a month ago--according to the one book I have, only about 15 percent of applicants are asked to do this. If you "pass" this step (which about 20% do), you get an on-site interview. I know they started interviewing last week Monday, and they interview people Mondays, Thursdays, and Fridays, and it usually is only a couple each day. Overall, Mayo has an acceptance rate of less than 3%--the lowest of any school in the nation. For that reason, many people are reluctant to apply. Also, Rochester, MN is a relatively small town by med school standards.

I think Mayo has a lot to offer, and I am very excited about interviewing there. However, I can understand why many people are reluctant to apply. They offer a lot of good opportunities, but to such a select few. Hopefully I will be one of those few!

5. choker

choker Senior Member

i didn't take biochem, otherwise i would've applied.

what the hell is up with that biochem requirement?!!??!

6. I just got back from a Mayo interview. It was great. If you want any insight from my point of view, feel free, but it was very very laid back. The school is awesome, the only complaint is Rochester itself is such a small community.

choker, I know of a student there that hasn't taken biochem, so i don't think they are too strict with that requirement, but the student definately recommended that I take it before coming there.

7. Dylann FMD

Dylann FMD Senior Member

Nikki--do tell more about the interview. Mine is this Friday, and I am very anxious about it. For years it was my ultimate goal to go there, so when I actually got an interview I was very excited. Did it feel long? I thought the 8 am to 6 pm length was kinda marathon-esque. Were two tours necessary? How were the interviewers? And how many people were interviewed on that day?

Sorry for all the questions, but you are the first person I have come across who has went through the interview there!