Mayo AZ vs Duke

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChopinLiszt

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Two weeks ago I had no acceptances and now I’m deciding between Mayo and Duke! :heckyeah:
I really love both schools and locations nearly equally, so its a tough choice.

Mayo AZ
Pro:
- Small class size
- More mentoring, very personalized (seriously, when I called admissions last week they already knew me by first name and were so nice)
- Two year preclinical - I’ve been out of school a while and this might help me get a more solid foundation?
- Selectives between blocks, opportunities to travel and have varied experiences
- Warm weather year round, low humidity
- Legit mexican food

Cons:
- The classrooms are brand new, but I wasn’t in love with the school or hospital/clinic facilities in AZ. Just my aesthetic preferences, I think.
- Two year preclinical - I’ve heard there’s lots of the minutiae that gets removed in condensed curricula, could be more painful than necessary? Really not sure if this is a pro or con. Maybe both.
- Required attendance every day (frequently 8-5)
- No fall/trees/seasons
- No university attached. They’re affiliated with ASU but it’s pretty far and not like being in a big academic center.
- This is minor but it makes me a little sad that they don’t do white coats - they consider it a barrier between patient and physician, but I think it’s more of a cultural symbol that helps the patient trust the provider and recognize them as a healthcare professional. I’m happy to wear a suit/Mayo wear, but the white coat thing is a minor sacrifice to me. Not a huge deal.

Duke
Pro:
- Gorgeous campus, fabulous med school and hospital facilities. Really loved being on campus.
- Full 3rd year for research, dual degree, step 1 study time, etc. Lots of flexibility
- Full classes M1-M4, more activities, interest groups, etc
- Can watch lectures from home, flexible attendance for most things
- Four mild seasons, beautiful scenery, beaches accessible
- Southern food (my mom grew up in NC and I grew up visiting often - I love good bbq)

Cons:
- Humidity
- I’m a little nervous about the one year preclinical, but everyone says they feel ready for clinical after that year, so maybe it would be fine?
- I’d have to turn down Mayo.. can I go to both? Haha

There are more pros for each school, but they’re things they have in common - such as the students seem great, faculty is amazing, good reputation, both are pass/fail etc. Best problem I ever had! :laugh:
So I’m curious - which would you pick in such a close race?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Congratulations on your acceptances! I would go to Duke. It's a more established school than Mayo AZ, higher ranked than Mayo, and sounds like it appeals more to you on a personal level (support networks nearby, seasons, etc.).

Reactions: 4 users
It doesn't seem like you have any really hearty cons for Duke. Humidity can be death with, and Duke obviously feels you'll be able to thrive in their 1 year pre-clinical system. You have some more valid concerns with Mayo - required attendance (yuck) and the white coat thing (weird). If finances are the same, go for Duke!

Congrats on your successes :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be the Lone Ranger and say Mayo. Just can't beat their individual attention available to you. As you'r a non-trad like me you've spent X amount of years dedicated to getting in and you want the return on that investment.

Reactions: 1 users
Congratulations! that's a tough decision! I am a HUGE fan of the individual attention that Mayo seems to give that's why they were my number one and I'd suggest you go there but being close to a support system is really important ultimately both schools are incredible and you really cannot go wrong on these choices.

Reactions: 1 users
If financial offers are equal, Duke for sure. It's more established, there's better access to basic science research, modern curriculum, and summer in Phoenix can be brutal.

Reading your post, your heart seems more into Duke.

I'm only commenting to shout out the fact that I remember you from the good ol' MCAT threads...congratulations on your acceptances!!

You probably already know my vote - I would pick Duke in a heartbeat. But I know it's a lot more complicated than just listening to what others say! One thing I have picked up from a friend who went to Mayo for his residency was that they are very traditional to the point of never trying anything new. He described it by saying, "If you wanted to wear a different color shirt to work, they would need to have a committee meeting." Duke is definitely on the cutting edge of research and maybe a little more creative. I know for me that would make Duke a much better match, but you may feel differently and that may sway you in the direction of Mayo.

But, honestly, you really truly cannot go wrong in this situation!

Reactions: 3 users
I might be biased as I was accepted to Duke as well, but I vote Duke! Hello future classmate!

They are both incredible, so I would pick wherever I felt like I "clicked" with the other students. I hear second look weekends are very useful in that regard.

Congrats on having such a difficult choice! :)

Congratulations on your acceptances! I would go to Duke. It's a more established school than Mayo AZ, higher ranked than Mayo, and sounds like it appeals more to you on a personal level (support networks nearby, seasons, etc.).

Would not make this decision based on rankings - both are in the top 10 so it's negligible
https://www.usnews.com/education/be...aduate-schools-preview-top-10-medical-schools

I'd go with overall fit and I do agree that OP seems to prefer Duke for personal reasons listed

OP it seems like Duke was a better fit for you. I'd go with your gut, but also recommend 2nd look if you can. Attending 2nd look really helped me make my decision

Also just wanted to comment on Mayo's curriculum - it works really well. Each year we typically have the highest or 2nd highest Step 1 scores in the country (this year was 247). I'm a student at the MN campus and strongly feel our high Step 1 scores have a lot to do with our curriculum. While the AZ class hasn't taken Step 1 yet, I think they will do really well

OP it seems like Duke was a better fit for you. I'd go with your gut, but also recommend 2nd look if you can. Attending 2nd look really helped me make my decision

Also just wanted to comment on Mayo's curriculum - it works really well. Each year we typically have the highest or 2nd highest Step 1 scores in the country (this year was 247). I'm a student at the MN campus and strongly feel our high Step 1 scores have a lot to do with our curriculum. While the AZ class hasn't taken Step 1 yet, I think they will do really well

I really love Mayo’s curriculum and philosophy. And the people are so caring - every interaction I’ve had has been wonderful. Those things are really what I like most about Mayo and why Mayo has been my #1 the whole cycle. Sometimes I wonder if the two years of preclinical will feel too long, but it’s obviously working well for them!
I actually feel like I have more ‘reasons’ to attend Duke, but my gut keeps pulling me back to Mayo. Both schools are amazing, but they’re obviously very different. I am planning to attend second look so hopefully that will help me determine fit a little better. Thanks for your feedback - you’ve always been so helpful on the Mayo threads!