Mayo Az vs Yale

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SplashMamba

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am thankful to be debating between these top choice schools of mine, and would appreciate any input you may have.

Mayo Pros:
- 30k / year scholarship
- Phoenix is much closer to my home/family than New Haven
- higher rank
- better weather
- selectives seems really cool

Mayo Cons:
- I have heard clinical grading is pretty tough (would appreciate it if others would be able to speak on this)
- hospital is far away from med school and involves a drive
- With the Az campus being new, not sure if residency directors consider an AZ applicant similar to one from Mayo MN.
- Med school building seems small and not sure if there are as many libraries / study spaces

Yale Pros:
- Yale System
- People seem really chill
- no shelf exams and (supposedly) easier clinical grading
- really strong match list

Yale Cons:
- more expensive (will be paying full price)
- Cold
- New Haven
- Far away from home

I am leaning towards Mayo Az right now given the scholarship I have and the fact that its close to my home (California). My main concerns with Mayo AZ are that I have heard that clinical grading is really tough, whereas at Yale its much more chill. Also, I feel like at Yale everything is close by/there are more common study areas, making it easier to interact with people / do things. In Mayo Az everything seems far away and I would have to be more independent.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
It sounds like you like Mayo AZ more, it's cheaper, and it's closer to home.

With regards to the prestige aspect though, I am honestly not sure how PD's will view it. Mayo is supposedly one large medical school with multiple campuses technically. So the prestige should distribute itself across campuses theoretically I suppose.

Reactions: 1 user
IMO, the Yale student experience is nothing to sniff at. The lack of clinical grading at all can really transform your medical school experience from a good one to a great one. If possible, try contacting financial aid about matching your Mayo scholarship maybe?

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I also recently got into Mayo AZ and deciding between a similar east coast school. I think it's worth thinking about the match list. Mayo MN has particularly consistent big name matches on the west coast, whereas yale seems to have stronger east coast/ivy connections. Class size is also a big thing—40 people is TINY. I would think that means more individualized attention, but also means fewer people to connect with?

Not having an attached undergrad is also kind of a big consideration for me. I spoke to some Mayo students and it seems like they're having a more adult-in-the-real world experience. They are not surrounded by other students and in the bubble of a campus, there's not all the extra things like libraries, sports, and events that you might have with access to yale undergrad resources. The Mayo student told me she spends most of her time studying at panera or at her apartment, but! often connects with other students by going on a hike (lots of nice nature stuff).

Also, I think it's worth considering whether a two-year pre-clinical is right for you. I am kind of eager to learn in a clinical context and leaning toward my options with a 1-year curriculum or 1.5 at least.

Then again. money talks sooo

Dude $30k per year and the Mayo prestige? Plus it's a stone's toss back to CA? That sounds like the best possible situation, and I would pick Mayo even if Yale matched your scholarship.

Family, cost, and prestige. You got the big 3.

Reactions: 2 users
New Haven is not a fun place to live... Phoenix is so much better especially for most Californians. Your round-trip flights home will be under two hours and less than $100. There's also no time difference in the summer. Plus the money factor is huge.

If you have any doubts about Mayo AZ's newness, just wait for its first match list. I'd take Mayo AZ in a heartbeat.

It's africa hot in Phoenix in the summer. The rest of the year is pretty awesome. The Yale Ivy med school experience seems pretty awesome too if they can match your scholarship at Mayo.