Mayo Clinic Oncology Pharmacy Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Me!! I just chose some personal interests and needs over big names. MD Anderson matched all their spots (6?), so it isn't like all the big names didn't match.

NIH only offers one spot also. I don't remember if Hopkins is 1 or 2.

4 people from my class went for PGY2 in oncology (~100 in my class). I've heard from 2 others, they matched at good programs too. I haven't heard from the other one.

One of my best friends got one of the 6 emergency med spots. She didn't even apply at Hopkins or Mayo- didn't meet what she was looking for (although I don't know what that is).

Mayo doesn't see too many gunshot wounds/random unprovoked acts of violence, but I'm sure that isn't the problem at Hopkins. Pharmacy school affiliation maybe?

Members don't see this ad.

Mayo doesn't see too many gunshot wounds/random unprovoked acts of violence, but I'm sure that isn't the problem at Hopkins. Pharmacy school affiliation maybe?

I'm not surprised Mayo isn't a major emergency site. I think Baltimore might hurt Hopkins, although it really isn't as bad as it might seem from stereotypes. Also, Baltimore really isn't a bad commute from the DC area.

Mayo actually is a major site and has some phenomenal faculty.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not surprised Mayo isn't a major emergency site. I think Baltimore might hurt Hopkins, although it really isn't as bad as it might seem from stereotypes. Also, Baltimore really isn't a bad commute from the DC area.

It definitely has trauma, just a different brand than you might see in a major city. Think farming combine polytrauma versus shotgun to the chest.

It definitely has trauma, just a different brand than you might see in a major city. Think farming combine polytrauma versus shotgun to the chest.

Just a general perception thing, and that does affect interest in a residency program.

Last edited:
Just a general perception thing, and that does effect interest in a residency program.

No argument there.

I do think the statistics for the PGY-2s are pretty skewed though, since the match statistics didn't include those who early committed or the unaccredited programs (of which there are many). I think a lot of candidates are selecting their PGY-1 programs on the basis of PGY-2 and their early commit policies, at least based on the folks I've spoken to (I know I did).

No argument there.

I do think the statistics for the PGY-2s are pretty skewed though, since the match statistics didn't include those who early committed or the unaccredited programs (of which there are many). I think a lot of candidates are selecting their PGY-1 programs on the basis of PGY-2 and their early commit policies, at least based on the folks I've spoken to (I know I did).

What PGY2 are you interested in pursuing?

Industrial design is no fun

Hopefully with emphasis on drapery

I never understood the whole "rising" such and such...like the previous responder that said "rising P1".

What does this even mean?

The didactic portion of my pharmacy school experience is over, there is no way for me to improve my GPA.

haha i'm in the middle of my didactic portion and feel like my gpa can't improve :lame: .....fail lol.

I never understood the whole "rising" such and such...like the previous responder that said "rising P1".

What does this even mean?

i think its meant to help distinguish between a student who in a given year could either be a p1 in the fall or a p1 in the spring. ??? anyone else help me out? ive been confused about this too

i think its meant to help distinguish between a student who in a given year could either be a p1 in the fall or a p1 in the spring. ??? anyone else help me out? ive been confused about this too

I think anyone who is starting pharmacy school later this year but hasn't started yet (so admitted but not enrolled) is a "rising P1." At least I think that's how people are using it.

I think anyone who is starting pharmacy school later this year but hasn't started yet (so admitted but not enrolled) is a "rising P1." At least I think that's how people are using it.

"Rising" is used to refer to what you will be next. For instance, over the summer my school will sent out emails to "rising" 3PDs, in other words to people who are now 2PDs right now but will be 3PDs this fall. I didn't realize that this was not a common term - it gets used quite a bit around here. After all, what are you the summer months in between various years? Done with one year, but have not started the next. "Rising"

"Rising" is used to refer to what you will be next. For instance, over the summer my school will sent out emails to "rising" 3PDs, in other words to people who are now 2PDs right now but will be 3PDs this fall. I didn't realize that this was not a common term - it gets used quite a bit around here. After all, what are you the summer months in between various years? Done with one year, but have not started the next. "Rising"

idk...i guess we would say P2.5 as a joke between P2 and P3. I guess I just see people on here use the term rising for themselves to make it seem like they are above other people and some sort of stand out candidate ....not saying thats what you did, just elsewhere on this site.

idk...i guess we would say P2.5 as a joke between P2 and P3. I guess I just see people on here use the term rising for themselves to make it seem like they are above other people and some sort of stand out candidate ....not saying thats what you did, just elsewhere on this site.
You guys are silly.:p Don't you read the paper? The term "rising senior" or whatever is used all the time. Investigoogle it.