Mayo Clinic Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TXDO

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I just wonder how hard for DO student to get in an IM residency and eventually a GI fellowship at Mayo clinic?:rolleyes: Lastly, would the elective rotations at Mayo clinics help to boost the chance to get in?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I'm also curious about this. Can you get in without rotating there? Also, do they pedigree or can someone from a mid-tier med school make it in without a rotation?

Have not seen a DO student IM resident in the four years I did medical school....(but hopefully others can chime in) although I did meet DO's interviewing there.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm also curious about this. Can you get in without rotating there? Also, do they pedigree or can someone from a mid-tier med school make it in without a rotation?

Was I unclear in my response to your previous question? An IM candidate does not have to rotate at residencies to get in, end of story. Seriously, it is not a requirement.

That said, I actually had a great time in my 1 month clerkship at Mayo and would recommend it to anyone looking to do a fun away.

Have not seen a DO student IM resident in the four years I did medical school....(but hopefully others can chime in) although I did meet DO's interviewing there.

I did my residency there this decade and I seem to recall 2 or 3 DO's

I recall a DO two years ahead of me. There may be one in our intern class. There are some on faculty.

GI fellowships at Mayo are competitive for everybody. Not sure how the DO thing would play out.

Rotating at Mayo probably would help as it would give the faculty a chance to see how you work, assuming you do well. Did for me, at least.

Normally med students (at least allopathic ones, I don't know about DO students) don't necessarily have to do away rotations to get into IM programs. However, in unusual situations (i.e. student from a med school with which a particular program like Mayo may not be familiar with...i.e. some DO schools or other med schools from outside the Midwest region, etc.) I think that if someone did an away there and did well, it might help with getting in. Of course, the opposite is also true (if you don't come across well, could likely kiss your chances there goodbye).

GI is a competitive fellowship to get into, and everyone I have known of who has gotten into Mayo or other similarly competitive academic GI programs has done research year(s), such as a postresidency clinical research fellowship, an MD/PhD degree, etc. There are always exceptions to this, but I'll bet a lot of them are residents from residencies like Harvard, UC San Francisco, etc.

However, whether or not you ever got into Mayo's GI fellowship, going there for residency would set you up well to get a fellowship somewhere.