Mayo Clinic Rochester, MN

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Working Brain

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear All
I wish to know further information about Mayo Clinic, Rochester GS training program. Is it considered a strong training program, are you allowed to perform most of the job in the OR under the supervision of the attendants or you are just an assistant there which means you will never be confident when working on your own after finishing residency. Also what do you think about a priliminary spot there, does they have the same training in the OR like the other interns, or they are there just to do the scut work.

waiting for your kind reply

Thanks all for helping others, You are just Great people....:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

By attendant do you mean the guys that clean the OR between cases?

Members don't see this ad :)
The OP is not US born and trained abroad.

Therefore, he probably confused attendant (who works in the parking garage as far as I'm concerned) with attending which = consultant abroad.

You are correct Winged Scapula,:). I am sorry for the confusion I did. I ment the Consultants....

I wish some one here will be able to kindly answer my question.

Thanks

You are correct Winged Scapula,:). I am sorry for the confusion I did. I ment the Consultants....

I wish some one here will be able to kindly answer my question.

Thanks

I don't know of anyone here who has trained at the Mayo and can definitively tell you what the prelims do and whether or not you get to actually do the cases rather than assisting much.

I think Mayo published an article about the fate of their prelims. It seemed that many ended up in surgery of some sort. Search PubMed and see what the article looks like.

Bumping....

I'm trying figure out some away rotations for my 4th year and looking for some advice.

I love mayo, and have always wanted to train there. Problem: I don't think I have that stats to pull mayo, sad but true. Does anyone know if a rotation there comes with an interview or would doing an away there be a total waste of time?

Thanks

I heard on the interview trail this year (but probably occured in the past as well) that Mayo (Rochester) has a written test on the first day of interviews & then shows everyone the results on a projector the second morning before you have to use a laparoscopic simulator.

Can anyone comment from experience?

I heard on the interview trail this year (but probably occured in the past as well) that Mayo (Rochester) has a written test on the first day of interviews & then shows everyone the results on a projector the second morning before you have to use a laparoscopic simulator.

I'm 3.5 years removed from the experience, but there was not a written test. They did show us the laparoscopic simulators, but only a few of us out of the group actually played with them, and I don't think there were any secret 2-way mirrors with people grading my abilities.

Mayo did have a lot of goofy interview questions that were probably just as bad as a written test.......

It sounds to me like there's some fiction (tests and public scores) mixed in with some fact (simulators, 2 day super-long interview, lots of goofiness and formality).

It sounds to me like there's some fiction (tests and public scores) mixed in with some fact (simulators, 2 day super-long interview, lots of goofiness and formality).

I would throw the simulators into the fictional category too (or at least distorted) since it sounds like the story has morphed from "get to try out the cool new simulators" to "Mayo makes you use the simulators as a means of testing applicants"

Mayo is home to a very strong GS training program. I have yet to meet or hear of a former or current resident who was in any way unsure of his abilities or the training received.

Scut at Mayo is minimal to non-existent for all residents. Until now, Mayo has maintained a large P/A staff; however, a recent hiring freeze/slowdown may impact this.

I am unsure of the level of OR involvement for Prelims.

Mayo is FMG (and DO) friendly.

Funny and absolutely untrue.

These rumors circulate about many programs on the trail. My favorite is that UTSW is still pyramidal and makes you stitch fruit.

Bumping....

I'm trying figure out some away rotations for my 4th year and looking for some advice.

I love mayo, and have always wanted to train there. Problem: I don't think I have that stats to pull mayo, sad but true. Does anyone know if a rotation there comes with an interview or would doing an away there be a total waste of time?

Thanks

Many who do an away at Mayo receive interviews. The PGY-1 class this year has quite a few who did.

If Mayo is what you want and you are sure of your abilities/knowledge, apply to do an away rotation. :thumbup:

I don't know of anyone here who has trained at the Mayo and can definitively tell you what the prelims do and whether or not you get to actually do the cases rather than assisting much.

LT was a Mayo intern, I think... :)

True - Ortho right?

I spent the recent ASBS conference avoiding her, successfully this year. She didn't socialize with any of us. Maybe she figured it out?

Oh, really? Ortho? I had no idea.

You think you've avoided her "successfully" this year. She's just plotting. That way, when something happens, the papers will read, "it seemed random as the two have not had any contact for several years." :)

Just kidding. I think she's got a lot on her mind these days. From what I hear she's still looking for a job and still trying to pass the QE.

To the OP:
I did a visiting clerkship at Mayo and interviewed there. It's a very, very strong program from a teaching standpoint. The biggest problem is that there are fellows there that tend to get the plum cases.

Prelims are treated like categoricals but you are likely not going to wind up there as a categorical.if you don't match outright to categorical. They are good at getting you placed into categorical slots if you do a good job there. Again, the educational experience is totally awesome.

Anyone who is not in medicine or a medical specialty is called a "consultant" at Mayo. That comes from the Mayo brothers. The consultants visit the "physicians" at Mayo which means that on clinic days, you can be traveling over the Gonda building to see patients. It's fun and you get a workout to boot.

I loved the facilities there and I loved my experience there. I was on the Endocrine Surgery service which profoundly influenced how I teach and practice today. It's a great residency program with excellent teaching and facilities.

I know a few prelims who have made it to categorical from Mayo. A great place.

you better buy some nice suits- no scrubs allowed outside the OR!! the consultants all look like true professionals

you better buy some nice suits- no scrubs allowed outside the OR!! the consultants all look like true professionals

My personal favorite experience of the entire interview: I asked a surgery resident "when you're wearing those suits for rounds every morning, where do you keep your stethoscope?"

He said, "Uhhhhh, well......I guess I just carry it....well, usually you can get one from one of the nurses.....(decides to be truthful) You know what, I usually don't listen to their heart and lungs."

It seems that when people on here talk about the Mayo's they always comment on the nonexistent scutwork, nice attendings, beautiful facilities, and great ancillary staff. But what about the operative experience? How busy are they, what is the surgical volume like? Do the chiefs leave well trained compared to other chiefs around the country? Most importantly can comment on the surgical training on at the other sites, specifically the phoenix campus. Winged Scapula I am not sure if you are an attending there or not, but based on previous post you seem to have some knowledge about their surgical programs. I am very eager to hear some replies.