Mayo Clinic - Rochester

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abords

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Have any of you thought about the Mayo Clinic? What have you heard about this program??

Members don't see this ad.

hi,

the program at mayo-rochester is solid, perhaps one of the top 10 or top 15 in the nation. i interviewed there last winter and i left with a good impression about the program. the program director dr. rose is very approachable, so is the chairman, dr. warner. the chairman at my home institution said dr. warner is perhaps one of the best chairs of the anesthesiology program in th nation. rochester location has about 100 OR, with many cases going on all day long. they also have an excellent CRNA support to run all the cases in 100 OR. the residents i met were happy overall, many of them are from the mid-west region. the location has a very structured system, it's the mayo system. mayo runs the show in rochester. mayo has a large and excellent patient data base, so if you want to do research, they have the money and the resources. i think mayo also has a large alumni network. the downside of mayo-rochester is that it's rochester, MN. the city is small, about 80 miles away from the twin cities. the weather is bearable with resonable housing cost. rochester is a very safe area. i ranked mayo pretty high on my list but i was just not cmfortable with the location. so go see for yourself, what works for me may not work for you. it's an excellent program, i would definitely recommend it.

Greetings,
I can't speak about Mayo-Rochester, but matched at Mayo-Jacksonville for 2004, and I can tell you that there is nothing wrong with that location! Sunny Florida is wonderful year-round and Jacksonville is surprisingly cosmopolitan ( I say this as somebody who did undergrad and med in New England and New York, respectively).

It is a new program that started this year, but they have always had residents rotating from the "mothership," so they do know how to teach. Add to this the fact that it has the Mayo name, they have world-reknowned faculty that they "pirated" from Rochester and other places, and you have the makings of a very strong program. I will add that the class is small and the competition is becoming somewhat fierce (each class has 4 residents), but that lends itself well to one-on-one teaching opportunities with the attendings (something Mayo is known for in other specialties). I am also told that CRNAs are there for the workload, the residents are not - read that as we are there to LEARN and not to perform SCUT. Should be a great experience, but I'll talk more about it once I get there.

The facilities are AMAZING, again, like the other Mayo locations. The call rooms at St. Luke's hospital are like some Embassy Suites room, the digital paging system is awesome, and Mayo never lacks funds. I'd give it some serious consideration.

Just my $0.02.

Cheers,
PMMD

I agree with what has been said about mayo in the forum but check out the www.scutwork.com review of the program. I have heard of this practice (misleading residents) from several residents who interviewed there. So don't buy a house there just because the program director says you will match there for sure.