Mayo Clinic.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Seanmd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone heard from the Mayo Clinic?

Members don't see this ad.

I heard from them mid-October...the interview dates in their e-mail at the time were:

November 14, 17, 21, 24
December 1, 5, 8, 12, 15*, 19, 22
January 5, 9, 12*, 16, 19, 23, 26, 30

(Mondays and Fridays; I guess Dec. 15 and Jan. 12 are two-day interviews on Monday and the following Tuesday for their Clinical Investigator track, in case that matters)

Hope that helps.

heard from scottsdale in mid-october...

didn't apply to rochester or jacksonville.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've heard from Rochester. Friend of mine at school is interviewing at Scottsdale (I didn't apply)

Definitely not time to write it off yet, though! I just heard from Wash U today and Colorado on Sat.

Be warned about Mayo. "The mayo way" is essentially telling everyone that they will be ranked high and fill you with a bunch of bs. The program director has a long history of doing this. Also, Rochester is the most God forsaken place on earth. There is no culture, the food is horrible, there is nothing to do there, no culture, no art, no music and the food is horrible. The weather will end up having you in depression and on medication at some point in your three years there. If you are single you would have to be out of your mind to go there. There is absolutely no single life.

It sounds like your bitter. I guess you didnt match at Mayo. Rochester is not a bad place to live. IM is only three years and your at one of the best programs in the country.

dr h,

first off, i could care less about IM. i am at a higher ranked program than mayo. second i am trying to give some of these students insight into what to expect. third, if you think that rochester is a good place to live (lol), where the hell are you from?? iowa? who are you kidding? mayo is known for its fellowships NOT the medicine program and everyone around the country knows this. there is no ER, there is no HIV etc...why do you think they mention this in the first 5 minutes of the interview process?

But Mayo IMers will have an advantage when it comes to obtaining their fellowships. And as far as later job opportunities go, I saw a number of physician offices while on a program this summer. All had some connection through Mayo - if not residency, at least fellowships (lots of AOA certificates, too). And they looked like darn good jobs to me. Everyone seemed happy to be there, and three weeks albeit in June is a long time to fool. I wouldn't go there for ER, but IM? In a heartbeat.

Rochester's certainly a liability. but it's a nice clean well-kept town and there are underground connections between clinic buildings for the winter. Perfect if you have a family. If not, I'd just consider how busy one would be during residency anyway. IMO Mayo is worth the location. btw, I grew up in Montreal. :p

emry123

You say you dont care about IM but yrt you write about how May tells you you are ranked high and you talk about the interview process. It sounds like you interviewed there for IM. You also say you are at a higher ranked program. For what? Are you an IM resident? There are some great programs out ther. I interviewed at all the top programs. May is one of the strongest IM programs. The residents go to outstaniding fellowships where ever they want.