Mayo Florida PM&R residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

j4pac

Prior Flight Surgeon PM&R attending guy
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the info page down now that the website is up and running. Mayo’s social media policy (though I don’t think an anonymous forum would apply) is pretty restrictive, so it was easier just to take it down. But if you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 users
Hello, that's very exciting, thanks for the heads up! Current MS3 so this will definitely be on my radar for next year. Can you elaborate more on how the differences may play out between Florida vs Rochester?

Good afternoon. First, hopefully all of the current MS4's are having a nice match day.

I wanted to let everyone know that incredibly positive impact that this forum has had for me over the years. It's for that reason that I'm making this announcement here, first.

We are currently in the ACGME approval process for a categorical PM&R program that would start in 2024. The ACGME says that a decision will likely be made by July 2023. But since I know that many current MS3's are currently reviewing their options for the year to come, I wanted to give a preview of hopefully will be to come.

We will be starting the program with two residents. There is significant room for expansion over time, but we will start with two residents. Dr. James Atchison, who was the chair at Shirley Ryan, prior AAPM President, amongst too many accolades to count, would be the inaugural Program Director.

The outpatient rotations and inpatient consult rotation will be conducted at Mayo Florida. For those unfamiliar, Mayo Florida is located about 10 minutes from the beach in Jacksonville, FL. Mayo Florida is the US News & World report best hospital in the state of Florida. We will be partnering will Brooks Rehabilitation for inpatient rehabilitation rotations, which is among the best inpatient rehabilitation units in the region, and the second largest in the country. They have a significant rehabilitation research wing (that you may have seen at AAPMR conferences), and exceptional adaptive sports. Much like Mayo Rochester, our residents will be exposed to a top notched EMG course through Neurology, and there will be a heavy emphasis on MSK anatomy, MSK examination, and ultrasound. We will provide the unbelievably generous research/trip policy that is provided by Mayo Rochester. At this time Mayo Florida has two excellent relevant fellowships, Pain and Sports Medicine. However, our residents will also have the opportunities to do elective rotations at Mayo Rochester and Mayo Arizona, which greatly increases fellowship exposure.

We have been working hard for about 5 year to get everything lined up to have an exceptional residency program, and both the Mayo and Brooks staffs are fully committed to seeing that our residents have an excellent experience.

As a new program, we want to be as transparent as humanly possible. Please ask questions. I'd also be happy to help differentiate Mayo Florida and Mayo Rochester, and should be in a pretty good position to do so considering that I trained at one and work at the other.

Cheers
Hello!

I’m a soon to be pgy1 trying to match PMR in the next cycle. Will there be any R2 Spots available?

Members don't see this ad :)
I hear the St John’s area is really nice and a lot of physicians live out there. Is the traffic terrible to Jacksonville?

Unfortunately, not. Only PGY-1 slots starting 2024 (assuming ACGME approval)
What would the PGY-1 rotation schedule look like? How would it differ from Rochester's medicine prelim year if at all?

Hello!
I'm going to be a categorical IM pgy-1 this July at an university affiliated community hospital.
Step 1 219
Step 2 246
US Img (Caribbean grad)
I did some shadowing/ volunteering in PM&R during my gap year and fell in love with PM&R. Unfortunately, my app was focused on IM since I had no exposure to PM&R during med school and wanted to pursue the 'undecided default speciality'. As a result, ended up applying and matching in IM. But my heart is now stuck with PM&R lol. How can I possibly make a switch from IM to PM&R? Will it be hard to get a pgy 1 pm&r position as a categorical pgy 1 IM resident? Honestly, I don't mind matching pm&r anywhere in the country and don't mind making a cross country move if it means I get to do PM&R.
Thank you! I appreciate any input.

Your best best would be to apply to PGY-2 resident positions so that you don’t have to repeat an internship. Some of the programs get posted outside of the match (here, on Reddit, sometimes the job boards, or residentswap). But in reality, you are going to have to apply broadly to have a legitimate chance to match into PM&R. The specialty is getting pretty competitive and the percentage of IMG getting into PM&R is small. Does your IM program have a home PM&R program? If so I’d definitely make those connects and try to do an elective there.

Congrats on matching into IM. I wouldn’t burn any bridges at your IM program.
Thank you for your feedback!
There is no PM&R residency in my program, unfortunately. I haven't told my PD anything yet in fear of looking unprofessional.
Some of my colleagues from med school this year matched into PM&R. Would it be helpful to reach out to them?
There is an in house sports medicine fellowship at our program. I understand that a lot of pm&r go into sports medicine and it's the 2nd most competitive fellowship.
If I were to do a sports med fellowship after my IM training, is it somehow possible to practice in rehab side of things that could be similar to PM&R ( rounding at SNF/ inpatient rehab; outpatient joint injections; prp injections etc)?

Thank you so much! IM match was tough this year at top tier places but thank God I matched.

Reactions: 1 user
Realistically you may not have matched into PM&R if you had applied. Yes you can theoretically switch, but it is easier to go from PMR to IM than it is to do the opposite. You’re looking at a difficult path and I’m not sure you would match in the end unless you found someone to swap.

You should really examine why you applied to IM in the first place. Where could you see a career going in IM after training? Why don’t you want to do it now? At the end of the day, being a doctor has a lot of similarities across specialties. You can do MSK as an internist, sports medicine or work at a SNF. Most IM working at rehab hospitals are doing IM work. Plus it is only 3 years of training.

Reactions: 1 users
Tears of the the Kingdom is right around the corner!

As you can see if you look around this forum, there are IM doctors in both IRF and SNF right now. There currently is no regulation. You are unlikely to have a high volume outpatient MSK practice doing general IM. But SM opens doctors for an outpatient MSK practice and being able to inject patients with competence. You could do gen IM and do ultrasound/PRP/etc, because the reality is that it’s the wild Wild West out there when it comes to injection credentialing. They have lots of weekend courses for just about anything procedural, but I’d advice against that for the sake of your patient and risk to you.

If I were in your shoes, I’d get through my IM residency. If you want to apply to PM&R, I’d apply to Reserved (R) positions yearly while you’re in training. As you are completing IM, I’d look to apply to Sports. You could apply to PM&R as a second residency, but I think that is a pretty poor investment compared to a SM fellowship. Heck, you could do palliative care or Geriatrics from IM.
Yes! Fell in love with legend of Zelda since the Gameboy days. Breath of the wild was so beautiful. Can't wait for tears of the kingdom!

Thank you! I'll keep those in mind as I go through my IM training.
Good luck with your new residency program. I bet your residents would be thrilled to have such an awesome PD!

Glad to hear Dr A is doing well.

Congratulations on the new program. Mark Hurdle will be there as well?

Great news, congrats! Would applicants be restricted to applying for only one Mayo location like it is with away rotations?

Is there still a chance to match into a spot without completing a clerkship? What is the best way to learn about the program, especially being from and in a different state?

Do you happen to know if there'll be any applicant screening parameters with respect to geographic preferences and program signaling?

Based on a survey that was done last year, it apparently matters when programs are deciding who to grant interviews. We plan on conducting a holistic applicant review, and it’ll be something we look at but it’s really hard to say how much it will end up mattering.

I doubt that geographical preference will make an enormous impact. Very few of either Brooks or Mayo Florida staff actually trained in the region, yet we’re here. I wanted to live in Florida, but I went elsewhere for training. We’re hoping to strengthen the regional PM&R exposure.

Signals would definitely get more attention. It’s a much more specific and limited commodity. But we don’t plan to filter out applicants that don’t signal us.
Great, thanks for the insight! What survey are you referring to? Texas STAR?

Status
Not open for further replies.