Mayo "hold status"

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Rudboy3, Jan 8, 2002.

1. Rudboy3

Rudboy3 Junior Member

Hey, I was wondering if anyone else got a letter like this from Mayo. The pretty much said that they are still very interested in my application and that I am on a "hold status" as of right now and will keep coming up for review as season goes by. The semi-good news was that the letter said that if I didn't get accepted during these times, I would be put on the alternate candidate list, so does that pretty much mean I won't be rejected? That is what I got out of it but I am not sure. Anyways, should I just sit on my hands and hope for the best or what?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. I can't think of a name

I can't think of a name Senior Member

I got the same letter. I think what it means is that each time the committee meets, your application will be up for review again. If you are better than the newest interviewees, then you can be accepted. However, after all committee meetings etc, if you have not been accepted, then they will put you on an alternate list/waitlist. You will then only get into the class if enough people holding an acceptance refuse their acceptance opening up places for waitlisted people.

4. I wouldn't give up hope. Several of the students I met there expressed to me that a great portion of their classmates were pulled from the waiting list. I think they estimated nearly half of them. I personally know someone that was pulled from the waiting list in July.

5. GoBearsGo

GoBearsGo Member

When did you interview?

6. Dylann FMD

Dylann FMD Senior Member

I got the "hold" letter too, but really I don't think it said anymore than what was told to me when I interviewed. When I interviewed (Nov. 2), I was told that after you do an on-site interview, they choose to automatically reject you (if something major comes up, which hardly ever does) or they place you in the general interviewed-applicant pool. Once in that pool, they tabulate a score for you, based on all their criteria. Each time they meet, they take the top few scores. So what (I think) the letter was trying to say is that you (and I) were not automatically rejected, but was not selected at the first committee meeting. Therefore, each time the committee meets, we are up for review again. So really, its nothing new (I got a similar e-mail from them in November), at least from what I was told when interviewed.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

7. Rudboy3

Rudboy3 Junior Member

Thanks for the replies people....I am not worried, just wondering how many other people were in the same boat as I am. I interviewed 11/5 for the person who asked. I just really loved it there and wanted to know where I stood.