Mayo info

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HuntinDoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if Mayo is a difficult school to get into, especially out of state. Also, does going to a certain school greatly increase your chances of getting into a residency at that school (for instance ophthalmology)? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

HuntinDoc said:
I was wondering if Mayo is a difficult school to get into, especially out of state. Also, does going to a certain school greatly increase your chances of getting into a residency at that school (for instance ophthalmology)? Thanks.

Almost 4,000apps- 34 MD slots.. Unless you're something exceptional, it's going to be tough. Take it from someone on the waitlist :smuggrin:

I only really know about the ortho residencies at Mayo but where you go to school does not matter compared to your class rank and AOA. I believe everyone that was interviewed was AOA in their class.

Members don't see this ad :)
HuntinDoc said:

Yes, Mayo is a competitive school to get into. Of all the schools ranked in the top 50 by U.S. News, Mayo accepts the lowest percentage of its applicants. This is because it receives several thousand applications for 34 spots in the M.D. program (and 8 into the MD/PhD track).

Out-of-state vs. in-state does not seem to weigh too heavily into their admissions. It does weigh heavily in their financial aid awards, though. If you are from out of state, your tuition will ultimately be about 12K/yr. If you are from Minnesota, Arizona, or Floria, your tuition will only be about 6K/yr. Regardless of their state of origin, some of their students are given full scholarships that pay the entire cost of tuition.

Yes, going to Mayo for medical school can help your chances of getting into a residency at Mayo (unless you spend four years of medical school un-impressing the clinical faculty there, in which case it could hurt your chances :rolleyes: ). About 40-50% of Mayo graduates stay at Mayo for residency. (Of course, it's still completely possible to get a residency there even if you didn't do medical school there.)

Oh boy...I can now actually answer this question from the perspective of someone who recieved an appointment from Mayo Medical School (just got off the waitlist...don't worry Saluki I'm one of the 6 MSTPs). It is an incredibly difficult school to get into, honestly I was just honored that I got interviewed and stunned I got waitlisted...I still think the appointment may be a cruel joke...time will tell. The admit rate should speak for itself, but it shouldn't discourage you at all. Unlike some the schools that REQUIRE ridiculous numbers, Mayo seems to hand pick their class and really try and have a spectrum of people and personalities. From the folks I know (I've spent a summer working there...and my small midwestern LAC has a couple of kids at MMS right now) being from a big name school isn't an advantage...they treat people from top-tier LACs, Ivies and small state schools the same, and in some ways seem to almost prefer midwest kids with humble backgrounds. Also they want to educate people to keep in their system and that is why I think being from the midwest is an advantage at the school, Rochester isn't for everyone, but the clinic is one of the few truly special places in this country. As a previous poster said ~50% of MMS grads end up completing their residencies in the system, and over 20% of grads join the Mayo group practice once their residency is over. It is an uphill battle to get in for sure, but it is by no means impossible. Before you apply if you are serious I would definitely suggest taking a visit to see the place...its amazing.

Thanks for those replies, very informative and appreciated. Good luck on the waitlists.

snobored18 said:
Oh boy...I can now actually answer this question from the perspective of someone who recieved an appointment from Mayo Medical School (just got off the waitlist...don't worry Saluki I'm one of the 6 MSTPs). It is an incredibly difficult school to get into, honestly I was just honored that I got interviewed and stunned I got waitlisted...I still think the appointment may be a cruel joke...time will tell. The admit rate should speak for itself, but it shouldn't discourage you at all. Unlike some the schools that REQUIRE ridiculous numbers, Mayo seems to hand pick their class and really try and have a spectrum of people and personalities. From the folks I know (I've spent a summer working there...and my small midwestern LAC has a couple of kids at MMS right now) being from a big name school isn't an advantage...they treat people from top-tier LACs, Ivies and small state schools the same, and in some ways seem to almost prefer midwest kids with humble backgrounds. Also they want to educate people to keep in their system and that is why I think being from the midwest is an advantage at the school, Rochester isn't for everyone, but the clinic is one of the few truly special places in this country. As a previous poster said ~50% of MMS grads end up completing their residencies in the system, and over 20% of grads join the Mayo group practice once their residency is over. It is an uphill battle to get in for sure, but it is by no means impossible. Before you apply if you are serious I would definitely suggest taking a visit to see the place...its amazing.

Snobored- Congrats!!! I am glad though that you mentioned that you were on of the MSTPs b/c my heart dropped for a second :p I'm envious, but I'm also really happy for you...

Saluki said:
Snobored- Congrats!!! I am glad though that you mentioned that you were on of the MSTPs b/c my heart dropped for a second :p I'm envious, but I'm also really happy for you...

Saluki...thanks...here is to hoping you get the appointment call after the 15th when all the dust begins to settle...