Mayo Medical School opening new campuses-doubling size

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LoveMed25

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just found out Mayo Medical School is DOUBLING its class size with a new campus opening in 2017 in Scottsdale, Arizona. How cool is that? Also, in 2016, 3rd and 4th year Mayo Med students will be able to complete their full years at the Med School's campus in Jacksonville, Florida. Mayo Medical School has gone national!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
My understanding was that it was always possible to do rotations at the Mayo sites in Scottsdale and Jacksonville.

I suppose it's a cool feature to do the entirety of the clinical years there, though having to move after M2 and possibly one year later after M3 would be inconvenient to say the least.

Members don't see this ad :)
My understanding was that it was always possible to do rotations at the Mayo sites in Scottsdale and Jacksonville.

I suppose it's a cool feature to do the entirety of the clinical years there, though having to move after M2 and possibly one year later after M3 would be inconvenient to say the least.

If they provide campus housing, it wouldnt be so bad

If they provide campus housing, it wouldnt be so bad

I would be incredibly surprised if that was offered. Still doesn't do much for the actual process of moving across the country though.

I'm sure some people wouldn't mind, but for myself I got pretty tired of moving every year (largely as I accumulated more stuff), and now I dread moving.

I would be incredibly surprised if that was offered. Still doesn't do much for the actual process of moving across the country though.

I'm sure some people wouldn't mind, but for myself I got pretty tired of moving every year (largely as I accumulated more stuff), and now I dread moving.
I like moving, but part of the appeal of going to Mayo is, well...Mayo. Not sure I'd be too thrilled to 'go to Mayo' and actually end up at some other place.

Now you have your choice between broiling hot summers, and freezing cold winters.

I just found out Mayo Medical School is DOUBLING its class size with a new campus opening in 2017 in Scottsdale, Arizona. How cool is that? Also, in 2016, 3rd and 4th year Mayo Med students will be able to complete their full years at the Med School's campus in Jacksonville, Florida. Mayo Medical School has gone national!

Reactions: 15 users
Now you have your choice between broiling hot summers, and freezing cold winters.

I hate heat. Rochester winter is so dreamy. :3

Reactions: 1 users
Rochester, Scottsdale, Jacksonville. They really like building campuses in places that resemble the seventh circle of hell, don't they?

Reactions: 4 users
Rochester, Scottsdale, Jacksonville. They really like building campuses in places that resemble the seventh circle of hell, don't they?
Well the largest medical center in the world is in Houston, so perhaps this is some sort of supernatural order :)

We really need more medical schools.. Only 41% of applicants got in during the 2014 season.. :D

I can personally attest to this! The 3 min walk from my car to the mall where I work results in my face being partially melted. Dry heat, humid heat etc. are all debilitating :dead:
"It's a dry heat!" they like to say.

Yeah, but so is the inside of an oven!

Members don't see this ad :)
Even worse I hear you have to become a Jaguars fan if you relocate to Jacksonville..

This might be a stupid question... but are all of their sites held to the same standards? I am just curious if you will end up getting a different Mayo education based on where you study? I guess I am comparing it a bit to the way undergrad works.... for example, the differences in the U Michigan campuses (i.e. Ann Arbor vs. Flint, etc.), but maybe that comparison does not apply here.

I've never been to Scottsdale, but I can say that the Mayo campus is mind-blowingly awesome. The hospital there is brand spanking new. To the poster who mentioned it, there is no campus housing there AFAIK.

We really need more medical schools.. Only 41% of applicants got in during the 2014 season.. :D

That's not a very good argument for opening more medical schools. Would you think the world a safer place if 100% of applicants got in? :laugh:

This might be a stupid question... but are all of their sites held to the same standards? I am just curious if you will end up getting a different Mayo education based on where you study? I guess I am comparing it a bit to the way undergrad works.... for example, the differences in the U Michigan campuses (i.e. Ann Arbor vs. Flint, etc.), but maybe that comparison does not apply here.

From my understanding, the M.D. degree is still awarded from Mayo in Rochester. If that's the case, a better description would be that Mayo is doubling it's class size and offering new clerkships/rotations for M3-4 in their other campuses. The Scottsdale and Jacksonville campuses are not new, they are established hospitals and clinics.

Mayo is widely regarded as one of the best healthcare organizations in the world, so I would be pretty confident that the medical education is still held to the same standards. Mayo in Rochester is still the flagship in many ways, though.

I've never been to Scottsdale, but I can say that the Mayo campus is mind-blowingly awesome. The hospital there is brand spanking new. To the poster who mentioned it, there is no campus housing there AFAIK.

That's not a very good argument for opening more medical schools. Would you think the world a safer place if 100% of applicants got in? :laugh:
Yeah but the problem is a lot of qualified and smart students get rejected as well.
Plus this nation is going to have a major crisis soon if we don't get more doctors into the field.. I'm not at all saying sacrifice education quality btw, I'm just saying more qualified students will be able to get in if more spots become available.

Even worse I hear you have to become a Jaguars fan if you relocate to Jacksonville..

There's something like a deep brotherhood of wonderful shared suffering that comes with being a fan of a truly truly awful NFL team. Trust me, I'd know.

/btw, PRESEASON!!!!! for most teams tonight. Ameer Abdulla looks like a beast.

There's something like a deep brotherhood of wonderful shared suffering that comes with being a fan of a truly truly awful NFL team. Trust me, I'd know.

Look on the bright side, you're not a Jets fan! :laugh:

Oh, I know. Skins fan here :inpain:

Yes it's a dry heat but honestly how often are you going to be outside as a medical student? It's not like you're outside digging ditches in the 117°. heat and he can't beat sitting outside at Thanksgiving and Christmas in 75° temperature.

We currently do not have housing.

Reactions: 2 users
As a Detroiter, you have made my morning, sir!

There's a reason Detroit got 7 national tv games this season. That offense (if their O-Line can stay healthy) is going to be a freak show. D Line and probably special times are going to be their only serious weaknesses. The NFC North plays the NFC West this season... Man, I can't wait for some of these games.

What's with all these mayo threads
(mayo, if you are watching, we love you give us IIs)

Yes it's a dry heat but honestly how often are you going to be outside as a medical student? It's not like you're outside digging ditches in the 117°. heat and he can't beat sitting outside at Thanksgiving and Christmas in 75° temperature.

Walking to your car is horrible at 117 degrees

It's not Christmas if there's no snow, so that last sentence is not possible!
Seriously, my family moved to CA so now we drive up to Tahoe every Christmas because otherwise it just...isn't. :(

I find it nice; the hospital and my office are so damn cold that the heat feels good.

I agree because its kept so cold in our buildings. I used to have to walk a few blocks from my car to the buildings. I felt like I had to crawl the rest of the way once I reached the last block.

I agree because its kept so cold in our buildings. I used to have to walk a few blocks from my car to the buildings. I felt like I had to crawl the rest of the way once I reached the last block.
Freezing cold AC buildings are reason #2 I don't like hot places. It's good for the first 30s, awful when you're stuck in the building all day! It always feels weird to dress in layers when it's over 100F outside!
Reason #1, of course, is the actual heat itself!