Mayo Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

carolsmith

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are everyone's general perceptions about Mayo Medical School? Is this considered an "elite school" (i.e. comparable to the Ivy League ones)? How hard is it to get in relative to other schools? Any other comments? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

Mayo only accepts students for a 42 person class, so it is a bit more competitive than other schools. However, the tuition is incredibly cheap and the education excellent! Give it a shot and see what happens!

I would try to contact every doctor in your area to get the answer to this question. Start with the phone book and work down the list. You'll see most think of it as a fine medical school. And that's all they have to say about that. --Trek

Members don't see this ad :)
it's very competitive to get in. great hospital.

one drawback during clinicals might be that most of the patient population have unique disorders, hence you won't be able to do much...

The HARDEST Medical School in the country to get into...I'm basing this on the fact that it has the lowest acceptance rate (2.3%). I think the closest to it is Cornell and it's percentage rate is around 3.5%. It's my dream school, so I think it's great, but my chances of getting in are oh-so slim. Most doctors around Waco I've talked to see it as the elite school to go to for residency and a top 10 school for med school.

Mayo is great, I was very fortunante to do research there one summer. I cannot say enough good things about it. It is very difficult to get into Mayo due to the small number of the entering class. They have 42 spots but six of those (I think) are MudPhudder's so that leaves 36 spots for the straight M.D. route. It is a *great* teaching hospital with a ton of resources for the students. Great library and awesome research opportunities. There are two interviews for Mayo the phone one and then if you get lucky they invite you for a *real* interview. It is my top choice as well....

i agree that it is one of the hardest schools to get into.
but i may be biased bc it was also the first pre-interview rejection i got! lol

it's a tiny school, which for me was a drawback.
and the location isn't all that great.

but its reputation is strong and i'm sure it's the right school for some.

Hey - did you know Mayo Medical School is DOUBLING its class size? I found out it is opening a new 4-year campus in Scottsdale, Arizona in 2017. And in 2016, students on their Minnesota campus can choose to complete their 3rd and 4th years down on the Mayo Jacksonville, Florida campus, which is also spectacular! Mayo Med School doesn't just look at your MCAT scores and GPA, they also look at you as a whole person - what you've done and what you want to do in the future. The school is world-class in my book!

What are everyone's general perceptions about Mayo Medical School? Is this considered an "elite school" (i.e. comparable to the Ivy League ones)? How hard is it to get in relative to other schools? Any other comments? Thanks!
Mayo Medical School selects 54 students per year. 46 MD, 6 MD-PhD and 2 Max/Facio. It is one of the BEST schools in the nation!

Neat, another necro-bump.

*realizing you were 13 when this thread came out*...it hurts!

Reactions: 1 user